Are we ever going to get to cruise again?

bnbeyer

On 11/24/2020 at 2:09 PM, Roger88 said:

Its not all true. I believe cruising will start its ordinary operation somewhere in February. I mean we have already developed a vaccine. Now its only  the matter of time when we manage to start implementing it into our life. I think it wont take that long really 

Just my opinion....time will tell. 

Edited by Midwestgal

It’s gotten to the point that my wife and I are discussing a future without cruising. We are seriously considering going back to flying to destinations for future vacations, which we did before becoming addicted to cruising. We haven’t booked a trip yet, but if we go down that path, I have a feeling we likely won’t return to cruising. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

It's been reported by multiple sources that there should be 20 million doses of the vaccine available in December, 30 million in January and 50 million in February, resulting in 100 million doses available in the US by March 1.  If you use the same 50 million per month for March through June, even though the numbers should ramp up, that covers the country by the first of July.  

Wait till the end of the summer to cruise and your quarantine nightmare won't happen.  If you still feel it will, take land based vacations for the next two years and cruise again in 2023 like many have posted on the boards that they're gonna do.

Does this scenario take into account that each person needs 2 shots?

2 hours ago, St.Pete said:

I did the same.  And he actually bet me $100 that cruising would return by the end of 2020, if not by November of 2020.

He lost, and is now ignoring me.

Are you at all surprised that he is ignoring you now?

8 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Yes...google it.  Multiple sources have stated 100 million by the end of February 

100 million doses by March 1. At 50 million per month after that, it would be 300 million doses by July 1. The population of the USA is 330 million. Since each person needs 2 doses, that is 660 million doses needed.

Based upon your numbers, you can cover about 1/2 the population of the USA by July 1. That may be all the "demand" since a lot of people have said they would not take the vaccine.

"To reach everyone could take up to a year."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/11/19/covid-19-vaccines-who-gets-coronavirus-immunization-first/3778098001/

1 hour ago, richmke said:

100 million doses by March 1. At 50 million per month after that, it would be 300 million doses by July 1. The population of the USA is 330 million. Since each person needs 2 doses, that is 660 million doses needed.

Based upon your numbers, you can cover about 1/2 the population of the USA by July 1. That may be all the "demand" since a lot of people have said they would not take the vaccine.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/11/19/covid-19-vaccines-who-gets-coronavirus-immunization-first/3778098001/

As usual, everyone can spin the numbers as they see fit.  I was just laying out a conservative  hypothesis  that we get enough doses distributed in order for cruising to return to some sort of semblance of what we were accustomed to.  That's what  all of this bantering on the boards is all about.

3 hours ago, ukbecky said:

Why must people be "held liable" for optimism?

And who takes what is said on a message board, as gospel? People need to do their own research and form their own opinions. 

So they had different opinions, and different predictions. So what? People come here to talk about cruising, to find out the latest information and discuss the future of cruising. And then form an opinion.

So many go into attack mode as soon as someone has a different opinion - and that's all they are -- opinions. 

Well said

2 hours ago, richmke said:

Does this take into account children? I do not believe that the vaccines trials have included children so it will not be approved for children.

I could be wrong about this.

1 hour ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Actually, no. But that's the reality-based world speaking.

Facts are not subject to opinion, and they're not at all interchangeable.

That's what the same posters on CC have been irresponsibly posting the same uninformed "predictions" about the restart of cruising since April ... and have been strong each and every time. It's unfortunate that some unsuspecting CC members apparently used that "information" as guidance to booking new cruises during a pandemic, Or choosing future credits over refunds.

People analytically reviewing evidence and reaching rational conclusions is how we make reality-based predictions. People spouting rhetoric, talking points and emotion-based fantasy is how we got (just a few months ago) to a board filled with dissatisfied customers angry at feeling scammed by the cruise lines & bitterly disappointed by canceled vacations.

WADR - Facts do lead to different opinions. Otherwise CruiseCritic would have no point.

I show up at 10:00 to check in for a cruise and the place is a madhouse FACT

I think, wow I shouldn't come at 10:00 next time I cruise with this line.

Someone else thinks, incompetence, there should be more people working to keep the lines down. I will not cruise with this company again.

Both are valid opinions based on the same fact, leading to different conclusions.

The opinions that result from a set of facts can be opposites. Doesn't make one right or wrong. They're just opinions.

And I firmly believe that people make their own decisions based on their own conclusions. They themselves are responsible for their own decisions. 

Edited by ukbecky
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, ukbecky said:

WADR - Facts do lead to different opinions. Otherwise CruiseCritic would have no point.

Someone else thinks, incompetence, there should be more people working to keep the lines down. I will not cruise with this company again.

Both are valid opinions based on the same fact, leading to different conclusions.

The opinions that result from a set of facts can be opposites. Doesn't make one right or wrong. They're just opinions.

And I firmly believe that people make their own decisions based on their own conclusions. They themselves are responsible for their own decisions. 

Nice post 

4 hours ago, ukbecky said:

March 2020:

Hertz lays off 100,000 people, Google cancels international travel,  The International Housewares Show cancels its 50,000-person convention in Chicago, the NBA stops its season: Facts.

Irresponsible CC posters: "Hey, nobody is going to stop the cruise lines for more than a few weeks ... this is all hype that's going going to blow over, we'll all be cruising next month" 

April: Diamond, Ruby, Grand, Luminosa, Zaandam and more have all had mass infections and deaths: Facts.

Irresponsible CC posters: "I heard it's just the sniffles ... CDC wouldn't dare try to drag this out past May. Now's the time to book more!"

The beat has gone on and on and on and ... and still the defenders do the ostrich act, thinking reality will some magically disappear. No, it won't. 

"Opinions" based on delusion are delusional, and opinions based on dishonesty are dishonesty. Big, big differences. The word to follow is: Evidence. 

Here's a lesson in that:

https://www.freep.com/story/opinion/contributors/2020/05/05/coronavirus-evaluating-evidence/3083768001/

• Like 4

4 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

March 2020:

Hertz lays off 100,000 people, Google cancels international travel,  The International Housewares Show cancels its 50,000-person convention in Chicago, the NBA stops its season: Facts.

Irresponsible CC posters: "Hey, nobody is going to stop the cruise lines for more than a few weeks ... this is all hype that's going going to blow over, we'll all be cruising next month" 

April: Diamond, Ruby, Grand, Luminosa, Zaandam and more have all had mass infections and deaths: Facts.

Irresponsible CC posters: "I heard it's just the sniffles ... CDC wouldn't dare try to drag this out past May. Now's the time to book more!"

The beat has gone on and on and on and ... and still the defenders do the ostrich act, thinking reality will some magically disappear. No, it won't. 

"Opinions" based on delusion are delusional, and opinions based on dishonesty are dishonesty. Big, big differences. The word to follow is: Evidence. 

Here's a lesson in that:

https://www.freep.com/story/opinion/contributors/2020/05/05/coronavirus-evaluating-evidence/3083768001/

Nice post.

• Like 2

On 11/21/2020 at 5:31 PM, SNJCruisers said:

What I lost with the introduction of FTTF was the minuscule amount of people that would be in line ahead of me the few times that I would go to customer service.   When I went to guest services, the line at guest services in the roped off area was incredibly deep because of the addition of the FTTF people.  

Out of curiosity,  how did you know that those people were FTTF or just more Platinum/Diamond cruisers?  I'd be willing to bet that there are a lot more P/D passengers today than there were when you first reached Platinum.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Out of curiosity,  how did you know that those people were FTTF or just more Platinum/Diamond cruisers?  I'd be willing to bet that there are a lot more P/D passengers today than there were when you first reached Platinum.  

You are correct that there are more P/D cruisers than there were 10+ years ago when I reached Platinum.  But with the introduction of the FTTF program, a pure money grab by Carnival which also devalued a perk that I earned through my loyalty, the amount of potential people utilizing the roped off line at guest services increased dramatically.

FTTF should be just that, plain and simple, a way for the reds and golds to pay to start their vacation early.  There was no reason for Carnival to add the guest services perk, devaluing my status.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2020 at 12:15 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

It’s gotten to the point that my wife and I are discussing a future without cruising. We are seriously considering going back to flying to destinations for future vacations, which we did before becoming addicted to cruising. We haven’t booked a trip yet, but if we go down that path, I have a feeling we likely won’t return to cruising. 

I don't believe I will be returning to cruising either.  Have visited some wonder ports since 1997 but I don't think cruising will ever be the same and I wouldn't enjoy wearing a mask or not being able to tour independently in Europe.  So I am just waiting for Carnival to cancel the May sailings on the Legend and I start planning something else.   

Though I currently have 4 Carnival cruises booked, I too have reached the sad conclusion that I, most likely, will never cruise again.

I think the most likely scenario is that Carnival will cancel my April cruise.  So far I have booked a new cruise each of the three previous times Carnival has cancelled.  If (when) April is cancelled I will request a refund instead of taking an FCC.

Then I will probably cancel the others, forfeiting the deposits.  All refunds due would be in the form of gift cards.

Bankruptcy or reorganization would wipe out the value of gift cards, but I will give them to two granddaughters who have made fantastic cruise mates,  just in case they might be able to use them.

It is depressing, but I see no other realistic outcome.

On 12/4/2020 at 9:28 AM, ukbecky said:

Well said 👍