Iona

Bin man

27 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Liked Skagen ,not a lot there for some, perhaps, but had a really good lunch.

Agreed. Probably somewhere you’d only want to go once. Being British we had pronounced it as it’s spelt, so were a bit taken aback when we arrived and the locals welcomed us to “Scane” (as it’s actually pronounced) 😂 

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Any idea when they will send out the invitations for the naming ceremony of this wonderfully inspired new ship.🛳️

Probably once they have a date.

The latest update is that the the celebrations will be in line with national and local mood at the time.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2020 at 6:00 PM, zap99 said:

Any idea when they will send out the invitations for the naming ceremony of this wonderfully inspired new ship.🛳️

Who redirected my post to Brittany Ferries.??. I have been invited to the virtual inauguration of their new ship Galicia. I ment you to send it to P&I for Iona, not a blasted car ferry.🛳️

Iona’s sister, Carnival Mardi Gras will be in Southampton from 19/12 to 23/12. She is the same sub-class as Iona so should have the same external profile as Iona (as opposed to Aida/Costa Helios sub class which have different prom deck arrangements).

I expect she will use berth 46 as that has been modified for the Excellence class of ships. 

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Iona’s sister, Carnival Mardi Gras will be in Southampton from 19/12 to 23/12. She is the same sub-class as Iona so should have the same external profile as Iona (as opposed to Aida/Costa Helios sub class which have different prom deck arrangements).

I expect she will use berth 46 as that has been modified for the Excellence class of ships. 

I hope there will be lots of photos and videos taken for us to  peruse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Thanks for the update.  I will pop along to watch her come in I think.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Andy, if you can try and get a photo showing the depth of the balconies, I want to know if I can stretch out in the lounger without having to sit sideways.

I have just 'googled' Balcony cabins Mardi Gras and there is a video.The cabins look nice but the balconies don't look very deep.Hope you haven t booked one on the Promenade deck.Apparently people are able to walk right past or sit on a lounger in front of your balcony! Its hard to imagine and I was shocked when I saw a photo of an example of such a cabin but can't remember which site I found it on.I would love to try a cruise on Iona at some point in the future

8 hours ago, ann141 said:

.Hope you haven t booked one on the Promenade deck.Apparently people are able to walk right past or sit on a lounger in front of your balcony! Its hard to imagine and I was shocked when I saw a photo of an example of such a cabin but can't remember which site I found it on.

The promenade deck cabins on Costa Smeralda are directly at deck level, which is probably the photo's you have seen.  However, the cabins on Iona are raised up higher with obscured balcony fronts so no normal person can look over the balcony rail or see through.

• Like 1

It would be nice if P&O would take a group of photos for each variation of cabin onboard giving the waiting cruisers some view of what they might expect. It would be a treat for all the eager passengers to get a glimpse of the staterooms as they would have by now if it had sailed. Photographers abound on ships get one to go around for a day and then post them online. Simple to do, good PR. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I cannot help but think it is bad of P&O to expect people to book Iona and not have the faintest idea of what either the ship looks like or its staterooms/suites. End of the day some of the cruises will cost a lot of money.

I must admit that I am amazed so many folks have booked on her without knowing what most of the public rooms and outside spaces are like.  Maybe I'm just an old-fashioned git, wanting to know what I am getting...🤔

• Like 2

Whilst not Iona, on Quest channel 1st December 9pm is a documentary of AIDAnova at sea.  TV guide note:-

The AIDAnova cruise ship boasts 23 bars, 17 restaurants and an amusement park. What keeps this state-of-the-art vessel running as it navigates the Atlantic Ocean?

Might be interesting, as we can't see on board Iona as yet.

Edited by jaydee6969
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jaydee6969 said:

Whilst not Iona, on Quest channel 1st December 9pm is a documentary of AIDAnova at sea.  TV guide note:-

The AIDAnova cruise ship boasts 23 bars, 17 restaurants and an amusement park. What keeps this state-of-the-art vessel running as it navigates the Atlantic Ocean?

Might be interesting, as we can't see on board Iona as yet.

To a degree. There are some major design differences between the Aida / Costa sub fleet and the P&O/Carnival sub fleet.