After the demise of CMV, it has been reported that Marco Polo will probably be scrapped.

However her new owners have now put her up for charter.

This means that she might be saved, if somebody does actually charters her! 

Do you think that is likely?

I think there will be plenty of loyalists, us included if she cruises from the UK. Whether the ship is really viable is another thing as she must be high maintenance per passenger. She has the advantage of going into small ports the big ships can't. There are not too many small ships left, especially at an affordable price. I suppose we will have to wait and see.

I wonder if CVI is interested in her...especially in a Charter agreement. Would let them use a ship that started it all for CMV...take it back to its roots and rebuild since she was very popular.

Edited by roeco9084
g

An interesting video, perhaps more of a historic experience, so could get interest from that perspective.  The ice strengthened hull could be a big advantage, though would presumably not be realised due to emissions which would not be acceptable in polar regions now and would be an increasing problem anywhere I suspect.  I wonder if she could be re fitted with a modern engine, as could then compete in a very expensive market, though I suspect it is not practical. 

We have only sailed on her once and must admit she did not pull our heartstrings, mainly as she was quite overcrowded in our opinion, though it was a 4 night cruise to Antwerp and one other port in excellent weather and minis are always fairly busy.   With fewer passengers we would consider a re run for a short cruise, especially as the smaller ships are diminishing quickly now, but I am not convinced she would make it as a standard cruise ship from the UK considering the prices that would need to be charged to make her viable.  Perhaps in another part of the world.  Just my musings.

Edited by tring
24 minutes ago, tring said:

We have only sailed on her once and must admit she did not pull our heartstrings, mainly as she was quite overcrowded in our opinion, though it was a 4 night cruise to Antwerp..

Mini-cruises often do feel crowded. People often share multiple berths. 

7 hours ago, London-Calling said:

Mini-cruises often do feel crowded. People often share multiple berths. 

That's what I was thinking and people more likely to hit the bar a lot as well, though I do not remember that.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m afraid this is an ominous sign.

Frequently liners on their final voyage to the breakers are downgraded in class to cargo ship status.

And Dubai is often a stop off and refueling point enroute to Alang.

If her flag state changes to St. Vincent or Marshall Islands for this trip then we will know she is doomed.

9 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

I’m afraid this is an ominous sign.

Frequently liners on their final voyage to the breakers are downgraded in class to cargo ship status.

And Dubai is often a stop off and refueling point enroute to Alang.

If her flag state changes to St. Vincent or Marshall Islands for this trip then we will know she is doomed.

The end of the Poet class....

Still got a 70's tacky plastic plaque of the Lermontov and a toy Lermontov lifebouy.  Fitted my Action Man perfectly!