Antarctica Cruise - Port or Starboard Cabin

CDNPolar

We researched our trip (cruise line, starboard vs. port, etc.) prior to booking.  What I finally decided about which side of the ship, is that for the Antarctica portion it does not really matter.  The ship does not dock in a port.  You reach land by zodiac style boats.  Also, Hurtigruten has been very good about turning the ship so that both sides get the chance to see any important landmarks.  (We have friends that traveled to Antarctica with Hurtigruten.)  The place that it would make a difference is if you were boarding in San Antonio Chili and stopping in some South American ports, or going to South Georgia and the Falkland Islands.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 11/17/2020 at 5:25 PM, CDNPolar said:

We are in the process of booking a cruise to Antarctica with Hurtigruten.

Any advice on booking a Port or Starboard side cabin?

You will see the sights from either side.  Sometimes the views are better from one than the other, then vice-versa. You never know which side will have the whales, dolphins and penguins, they could pop up anywhere and any time. Despite having a balcony, much of my time was spent standing out on the front observation deck, going from one side to the other and back as the photo opportunities appeared.

Just booked Antarctica, Falklands. FWIW, the agent said if going to Falklands, port side is better.

I doubt we’ll be in our cabin when approaching the Falklands - great observation areas on the ship - but the cabin we had already selected is on the port side anyway.

We had a starboard cabin and had good views sailing into Stanley. For the other Falklands destinations I believe they select which ones nearer the time, so you wouldn't know in advance which side might be better. In any case, whichever side you see coming in you will probably see the other side going out unless you are taking a different route out, following the coast, but you won't know when you book whether it will be port or starboard facing the land. Either way there will be great views!