Jump to content

Changes Announced for Captain's Club Member Benefits


Recommended Posts

TY for the post OP

We have not gotten any notification from X despite having a booked sailing ...and being an elevated tier.

Clearly any perks for us have been watered down/lost

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Celebrity never said that they would force people to pay for a drink package or $119 pp for a WiFi package.  They just said it would always be included, except for selective 90 days our cruise bookings.  Nothing was mentioned about increasing the cost of the cruise. 

LOL------You think they are going to mention " WE are increasing our prices by 40% ,but, no worries WE are giving you FREE drinks and FREE wifi and even the Gratuities paid ?

I just don't " get it " .

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bigboofer said:

Since I'm paying two fares and one tip and port fees you think a cruise line is losing money I must disagree with your position. As an elite plus cruiser I receive a cocktail party (which I rarely consume three drinks) and internet so having to also buy two packages at very high cost for something I don't need is Celebrity just being greedy. I can't imagine any cruise line selling anything at a loss.

 

Onboard spending at very high prices for tours and shops are generally for new cruisers that haven't figured out how to get value for their vacation dollars. I never go to the casino but I hear the odds and slot payouts are less at sea than on land. Drinking to excess at very high prices (on even for free) is something I have no interest in.

 

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

bigboofer,

It's NOT my "position" and I am not disagreeing with you.  I KNOW you don't like paying all of that extra money...and I can understand that.  All I am saying is that the cruise line doesn't like taking up an entire cabin on the ship with only a solo cruiser (and they would like it even less if you were only paying one per person fare) because their financial model is based on every cabin paying two fares AND buying an average amount of all the things they offer for sale.  AND, since YOU don't pay for drinks, shorexes, casino, spa services, gift shops, etc.--and that works out very well for YOU--it's NOT what the cruise line wants...THEY prefer TWO people each spending money on ALL of that stuff.  BECAUSE THAT IS THEIR BUSINESS.

 

What they have done is to have found a way to insure that they sell as much of that to you as possible...NOT because they're "being greedy", but because that is what gives them a profit--which is the reason they are in business.  You posted that you wondered if they didn't want your business...and all I was saying was that, really, no they don't--not if you aren't buying a lot of what they are selling...They either want to make sure that YOU buy it...or they'd rather sell to someone who will.

 

YOU might prefer if they sold you a no frills cruise at rock bottom prices and you could travel with no added expense--not buying any of their added products.  Nice for you, but NOT for them.  If they can fill their ships with people paying double all-inclusive fare...and gambling at the casino using the spa and buying in the shops, THAT is what they want.  AND it is NOT "my position", it's just an explanation as to what they are doing with the new pricing.  You might not like it, but I don't think you can disagree with what I've said. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Pinboy said:

LOL------You think they are going to mention " WE are increasing our prices by 40% ,but, no worries WE are giving you FREE drinks and FREE wifi and even the Gratuities paid ?

I just don't " get it " .

 

 

 

Perhaps because they are not!  The market will determine the price.  Celebrity has been increasing prices for some time and if the market supports the increases, they will likely continue.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2020 at 10:36 AM, Pennstatedj said:

I just finished new email from X. All I can say is Wow. After reading all the great new benefits given to me as an Elite Plus with over 60 cruises, I can only say that I have only 1 more cruise left on X. I have been very loyal for the last 25 years, but this is the worst marketing move the CEO has ever made. I will be going back to being open to cruising with others after I use my credit voucher. I knew she would take this opportunity to use Covid as an excuse to reduce perks and sky lounge use. Extra parties and discounts on spa and photos and laundry pressing are not benefits. I just heard Princess Ceo yell with thanks to Lisa. Happy sailing to all when it starts. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

One advantage in cuts in the loyalty program: Fewer tips! The people serving in Retreat/MC are really excellent and I always show my appreciation for their service. Since Zeniths are now out of Retreat/MC no need to spend extra on tips. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2020 at 11:28 AM, bigboofer said:

Another wonderful benefit of the new "Always Included" is the cost has been added to the per person cost of the cruise. So as a solo traveler I will have to pay for drinks, internet and tips for two people which before you only had to pay for the cabin with tips for one. Solo travel with Celebrity just got very very expensive. I think Celebrity is telling me to go away,

 

On 12/1/2020 at 7:51 AM, bigboofer said:

Since I'm paying two fares and one tip and port fees you think a cruise line is losing money I must disagree with your position. As an elite plus cruiser I receive a cocktail party (which I rarely consume three drinks) and internet so having to also buy two packages at very high cost for something I don't need is Celebrity just being greedy. I can't imagine any cruise line selling anything at a loss.

 

Onboard spending at very high prices for tours and shops are generally for new cruisers that haven't figured out how to get value for their vacation dollars. I never go to the casino but I hear the odds and slot payouts are less at sea than on land. Drinking to excess at very high prices (on even for free) is something I have no interest in.

 

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

You may be right. A solo cruiser doesn’t spend as much as a couple or family.  They also seem to be pushing older cruisers away.  We are 70+ and loved longer Celebrity cruises. We often cruise on the 14 night continuous cruises, not b2b.  Celebrity is changing to shorter cruises.  A turnover of guests will spend more on excursions, entertainment, spa services, specialty restaurants, photos, etc.  it is excellent marketing to younger guests.  However, it is a clear message to older and solo guests to stay away.  My last Celebrity cruise was January 2019.  No more booked or planned on Celebrity.  Since that cruise, we took 4 on Windstar, 2 on Oceania, and had booked one Viking that was canceled.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

 

You may be right. A solo cruiser doesn’t spend as much as a couple or family.  They also seem to be pushing older cruisers away.  We are 70+ and loved longer Celebrity cruises. We often cruise on the 14 night continuous cruises, not b2b.  Celebrity is changing to shorter cruises.  A turnover of guests will spend more on excursions, entertainment, spa services, specialty restaurants, photos, etc.  it is excellent marketing to younger guests.  However, it is a clear message to older and solo guests to stay away.  My last Celebrity cruise was January 2019.  No more booked or planned on Celebrity. 

Yes, X is changing to shorter cruises because the CDC has restricted the length of cruises to 7 days only when the cruise lines resume service. It's not a marketing plan. Most everyone I know likes longer cruises, including us, so we're not exactly thrilled with the situation but if we want to cruise in the near future, we'll take it. The earliest opportunity to sail 14 nights or longer may not be until Fall of 2021.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Yes, X is changing to shorter cruises because the CDC has restricted the length of cruises to 7 days only when the cruise lines resume service. It's not a marketing plan. Most everyone I know likes longer cruises, including us, so we're not exactly thrilled with the situation but if we want to cruise in the near future, we'll take it. The earliest opportunity to sail 14 nights or longer may not be until Fall of 2021.

Celebrity had already eliminated the regular 1Q 14 day Caribbean cruises before COVID hit.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Celebrity had already eliminated the regular 1Q 14 day Caribbean cruises before COVID hit.  

 

 

11 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

It's not a marketing plan.

 

There´s a bit of both involved. Celebrity offered less and less 14 day cruises after LLP announced the desire to attract a younger clientele quite some time ago. Their logic was that younger people still work and can´t take that many days off. Instead many previously longer cruises became 11 or 12 day cruise.

 

The current change to 7 day cruises, however, is due to the CDC restrictions.

 

BTW: the same was true when the first cruises sailed in Europe again. Initially it was only 3/4 days, then 7 days (no b2b allowed in both cases). After a while b2b were allowed and some 14 day cruises were offered.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jagoffee said:

Celebrity had already eliminated the regular 1Q 14 day Caribbean cruises before COVID hit.  

I wasn’t aware of that.

We normally don’t sail the Caribbean. Our first Caribbean cruise in a decade was last March, and X canceled it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

Celebrity might have issued an actual enhancement--10% off for Elite members on new bookings.  Not sure how real the discounts are though.

 

I believe the 10% discount is only a limited time offer. It is only for new cruises booked by January 31, 2021 departing July 1, 2021 through December 31, 2021

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RICCruisers said:

I believe the 10% discount is only a limited time offer. It is only for new cruises booked by January 31, 2021 departing July 1, 2021 through December 31, 2021

Yes, you are correct. I just found that email buried in my inbox. I didn’t realize it was an offer sent out to everyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2020 at 5:58 PM, neeko said:

 

Same here....after years of getting to Elite plus, now anyone can just buy the benefits. Why should we technically double pay for a coffee/ drink etc. We have moved to Viking Ocean, Far superior and within the same price range.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s always been the case that anyone could buy the benefits, well most of them.  Buy the beverages, buy the laundry, buy the internet.  Buy the scoop of gelato.  I don’t think you could buy the priority tender access, but you could buy just about anything else that the loyalty program gave you. The point was that the loyalty program gave it to you at a reduced price or even for no extra charge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

It’s always been the case that anyone could buy the benefits, well most of them.  Buy the beverages, buy the laundry, buy the internet.  Buy the scoop of gelato.  I don’t think you could buy the priority tender access, but you could buy just about anything else that the loyalty program gave you. The point was that the loyalty program gave it to you at a reduced price or even for no extra charge.

Well said.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am disappointed in the price increases due to the Always Included and it appears that the removed Elite+ items (internet minutes, cocktail hours, drycleaning) have not been replaced with something else.  We have always loved Celebrity but can't believe they've done this right now.  Raising prices during this time, seems inappropriate.  That being said, I understand how they are hurting but Princess has kept reasonable prices and isn't trying to be greedly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2020 at 8:15 AM, basenji56 said:

Celebrity might have issued an actual enhancement--10% off for Elite members on new bookings.  Not sure how real the discounts are though.

 

As I read this, it is limited to 10% for Elite members and above.  5% for lower level members.

 

Exclusive Captains Club Newsletter December 2020 (celebritycruises.com)

 

Now through January 31, Classic and Select members will save 5% on cruise fares and Elite members and above will save 10% on cruise fares when you book a veranda stateroom or higher.* This incredible offer is valid on sailings departing between July 1st, 2021 - December 31st, 2021 (excluding Galapagos), plus additional Celebrity Eclipse Sailings out of Australia and New Zealand through April 17, 2022.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, beachfanatic said:

I am disappointed in the price increases due to the Always Included and it appears that the removed Elite+ items (internet minutes, cocktail hours, drycleaning) have not been replaced with something else.  We have always loved Celebrity but can't believe they've done this right now.  Raising prices during this time, seems inappropriate.  That being said, I understand how they are hurting but Princess has kept reasonable prices and isn't trying to be greedly.

With everything going one how can you possible know that any price increase in due to the Always Included change?  The shutdown of cruises for such a long time, the generous L&S program, and the bonus FCC have created a massive demand.  Perhaps the price increases are related to those events.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

With everything going one how can you possible know that any price increase in due to the Always Included change?  The shutdown of cruises for such a long time, the generous L&S program, and the bonus FCC have created a massive demand.  Perhaps the price increases are related to those events.

Or, extremely high debt service.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...