Changes Announced for Captain's Club Member Benefits

EvoUSA

Okay, so I am Elite Plus with over 1000 points...

I have three future bookings, all lift-and-shift made long ago...so they are NOT all-inclusive.  Two of them were purchased with a classic drink package, gratuities and OBC...but no free wi-fi.  The third has Zero amenities.

It didn't really matter to me that we had no wifi included as, with that Elite Plus standing, we got an ample (for us) 240 minutes of free wifi per cruise.

And, it did not matter for us that we had no drink package on the third since it was port-heavy and we had that free cocktail lounge from 5-7 anyway.

For the cruises where we've had the classic drink package, we always attended the cocktail lounge anyway--because what we enjoyed about it, after all, was the service...that we weren't always having to struggle to grab the attention of a bar waiter.  That we got to feel just a little bit special.  It wasn't that the drinks were free that much as we always tipped these servers excessively at the end of the cruise, making up a good deal of that "free" benefit.

So, my understanding under the new rules is:

1) We no longer have the nightly cocktail lounge.  On the one cruise where we don't have the package, we get three drinks in some bar where we'll have to struggle to get the attention of a waiter.  We'll have to count to ourselves so we don't accidently order a fourth drink over the two hours.

2)  Even though the email says we still have the former free wifi--in some vague manner, the official website no longer says we get anything.  But, if we decide to purchase or upgrade wifi, we get a small discount.'

3)  We still get our free bags of laundry--even though with our 7-night cruises, it's pretty useless since we don't arrive with dirty laundry and you have to submit your bags of laundry prior to day 4.  Of course, as Elite Plus, we've earned that second bag of meaningless laundry.

4)  We still get to go to a special continental breakfast that includes a tiny selection of choices--mostly cold--in case we want to go there instead of the FULL, hot, included breakfast in the main dining room.

5)  We still get free Cappuccino, I guess if we care to stand in line at Cafe al Bacio. 

6)  We get fairly meaningless discounts on photo packages we would never buy anyway and on Spa treatments that we usually don't bother with since we are busy with our cruise.

7) Other perks, like the free scoop of gelato, seem to have disappeared.

So, for us, our Elite Plus perks have pretty much disappeared--instead, we'll have our bar bill cut by the price of three "well" drinks a night--if we can get them (of course, my wife doesn't drink that much--so, she gets three free diet 7-ups)...and we'll get a bag of laundry or so when we do our 14 night cruise.

I guess I've always known that the perks could be taken away at any time...but this move is danged disappointing--even though I can't say I didn't see it coming. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Okay, so I am Elite Plus with over 1000 points...

I have three future bookings, all lift-and-shift made long ago...so they are NOT all-inclusive.  Two of them were purchased with a classic drink package, gratuities and OBC...but no free wi-fi.  The third has Zero amenities.

It didn't really matter to me that we had no wifi included as, with that Elite Plus standing, we got an ample (for us) 240 minutes of free wifi per cruise.

And, it did not matter for us that we had no drink package on the third since it was port-heavy and we had that free cocktail lounge from 5-7 anyway.

For the cruises where we've had the classic drink package, we always attended the cocktail lounge anyway--because what we enjoyed about it, after all, was the service...that we weren't always having to struggle to grab the attention of a bar waiter.  That we got to feel just a little bit special.  It wasn't that the drinks were free that much as we always tipped these servers excessively at the end of the cruise, making up a good deal of that "free" benefit.

So, my understanding under the new rules is:

1) We no longer have the nightly cocktail lounge.  On the one cruise where we don't have the package, we get three drinks in some bar where we'll have to struggle to get the attention of a waiter.  We'll have to count to ourselves so we don't accidently order a fourth drink over the two hours.

2)  Even though the email says we still have the former free wifi--in some vague manner, the official website no longer says we get anything.  But, if we decide to purchase or upgrade wifi, we get a small discount.'

3)  We still get our free bags of laundry--even though with our 7-night cruises, it's pretty useless since we don't arrive with dirty laundry and you have to submit your bags of laundry prior to day 4.  Of course, as Elite Plus, we've earned that second bag of meaningless laundry.

4)  We still get to go to a special continental breakfast that includes a tiny selection of choices--mostly cold--in case we want to go there instead of the FULL, hot, included breakfast in the main dining room.

5)  We still get free Cappuccino, I guess if we care to stand in line at Cafe al Bacio. 

6)  We get fairly meaningless discounts on photo packages we would never buy anyway and on Spa treatments that we usually don't bother with since we are busy with our cruise.

7) Other perks, like the free scoop of gelato, seem to have disappeared.

So, for us, our Elite Plus perks have pretty much disappeared--instead, we'll have our bar bill cut by the price of three "well" drinks a night--if we can get them (of course, my wife doesn't drink that much--so, she gets three free diet 7-ups)...and we'll get a bag of laundry or so when we do our 14 night cruise.

I guess I've always known that the perks could be taken away at any time...but this move is danged disappointing--even though I can't say I didn't see it coming. 

The last year or so it was unlimited drinks 5-7pm for elite happy hour on your sea pass.  The best is we get a discount on the upgrade.  That has been a perk for years!!  

2 minutes ago, riredsox said:

The last year or so it was unlimited drinks 5-7pm for elite happy hour on your sea pass.  The best is we get a discount on the upgrade.  That has been a perk for years!!  

'"I think new plan includes unlimited drinks during happy hour,

Now, you’ll be able to enjoy unlimited drinks from the Captain’s Club menu daily from 5pm to 7pm at bars and lounges throughout your ship"

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

Where does it say anything about continuing the Elite Happy Hour in the Sky Lounge?

It has been eliminated. You will have a drink package that you can use at any bar. I knew that was coming with All Inclusive pricing. If they eliminate the Happy Hour and the Captain Club Celebration why do they need a Captain's Club Host? 

• Like 3

Just now, jwc1027 said:

'"I think new plan includes unlimited drinks during happy hour,

Now, you’ll be able to enjoy unlimited drinks from the Captain’s Club menu daily from 5pm to 7pm at bars and lounges throughout your ship"

BUT,,you are right in saying GOOD LUCK getting served !!

6 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

Free scoop of gelato is still there....it starts at Select and is therefore included at the higher levels

Yes, and it actually starts at the Classic level (like before), based on the flyer.

2 minutes ago, jwc1027 said:

BUT,,you are right in saying GOOD LUCK getting served !!

1 hour ago, EvoUSA said:

As more and more members start to sail with our Always Included package and have drinks included in their ticket, we’ll be introducing new events and benefits so stay tuned.

Especially since it seems they're suggesting they'll be encouraging people to partake (or further modifying the CC benefit).

1 minute ago, Orator said:

It has been eliminated. You will have a drink package that you can use at any bar. I knew that was coming with All Inclusive pricing. If they eliminate the Happy Hour and the Captain Club Celebration why do they need a Captain's Club Host? 

Thanks, Orator, that's what I thought but someone posted above about it still being in force, thus my question.  Yes, I can use the drinks package, but in order to get spirits one has to upgrade to the premium at a cost.  Certainly not equal, especially since I usually only have two cocktails before dinner and a glass of wine with. 

36 minutes ago, riredsox said:

Both photos and the spa are so over priced that even with the discounts it is still way over priced.    

Overpriced, yes, and I bet under utilized, in the world of frequent cruisers.

RC offers a free photo for Diamond and above. 

YES, I too have too many old cruise photos, and NO, I never purchase.

However, I admit, when I do sail RC, I find an opportunity to smile pretty at least once a cruise for a free memento. 

• Like 2

If I am reading correctly, I am two cruises away from Elite Plus, and will get a few discounts and an outdoor party, possibly in the heat with my evening clothes on

It appears, all inclusive means they have removed all incentive to remain loyal.

Unless I am reading it wrong, these are now among the worst loyalty perks at sea.

• Like 4

Since they eliminated the happy hour in the Sky Lounge in favor of drinks elsewhere, X saves on eliminating the hors d'oeuvres. Every little bit counts for Lisa.Do Elite & above still get one category upgrades?

Wine question:  ...."complimentary wine varieties that will now rotate between Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Grigio, Moscato, and Pinot Noir"....  as Little Miss Fussy only drinks white and I don't drink Chardonnay so I only get a glass of wine on the SB and the PG days then. LOL.

However more worrying is no mention at all of 'house champagne or prosecco or cava...'   I have just printed off the new drinks menu and nothing there either.  I hope they still offer this. 

Edited by little britain

No lounge happy hour also frees up the crew to be assigned to other tasks. I see my Elite spa discount has now been reduced. So long to the occasional massage. I do like the All Included concept. so that when suites are too high priced, we can go with Aqua and still have a dedicated dining room and the perks. I just hope we can still be healthy enough to cruise and able to do longer b2b's by the time things approach cruising as it was. 

It's very clear that this reinforces the revenue enhancements that Celebrity have been focused on for a while. You can't blame them. After all they are a business that is answerable to its shareholders. This however made me 🙄 as regards Zenith:

This special guest will also now have the opportunity to take part in an interview with our cruise director that will air on our in-stateroom televisions.

This says it all about the whole thing. We'll enhance your membership by wheeling you in front of the camera for some free advertising for us. Not bloomin' likely thanks very much!

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 10
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Pennstatedj said:

I just finished new email from X. All I can say is Wow. After reading all the great new benefits given to me as an Elite Plus with over 60 cruises, I can only say that I have only 1 more cruise left on X. I have been very loyal for the last 25 years, but this is the worst marketing move the CEO has ever made. I will be going back to being open to cruising with others after I use my credit voucher. I knew she would take this opportunity to use Covid as an excuse to reduce perks and sky lounge use. Extra parties and discounts on spa and photos and laundry pressing are not benefits. I just heard Princess Ceo yell with thanks to Lisa. Happy sailing to all when it starts. 

Totally agree, my exact thoughts.

• Like 3