Covid -19 Vaccinations

rucrazy

Covid vaccines   

97 members have voted

1. 1. Will you get the Covid Vaccine when made available

• Yes, as soon as possible
    • Yes, but will wait a a while to seek if it has adverse effects on others.
    • No. I don't believe in vaccinations.
    • I don't know

1 hour ago, crusinbanjo said:

Here in Mass, we will be lucky to get on a list for a jab by April.  Seems like over 65, but otherwise healthy,  will be last in the pecking order.........   might need to travel to Florida or Texas, they seem to be doing things right! 

For us in the UK, could you possibly explain this.  Don't you have to be resident somewhere in order to get the jab? Or can you just pick a place and pay for it?  My understanding is, in the UK at least, absolutely no one can pay for the jab and jump a queue.  I thought the US had a similar policy.

Edited by Fletcher

4 hours ago, tgh said:

Hey JP, heard anything about abstention from alcohol prior and post vaccination ?

We are freaking out here 😰

If I had, such advice would go in one glass and out the other... I can't think of a reason that alcohol would make a difference.

Sounds like a nefarious plot by the bottled water and fruit juice lobby, something akin to "Dry January." What a scam that is! January is a month with cold weather, not much daylight, and the holidays are over. How are you supposed to manage that without alcohol?

@Fletcher, I'm pretty sure that cruisinbanjo was kidding. Or wishing that he could do something like that. I'm sure there is some line-cutting for the rich and famous but I don't think you can just drive to Florida and get in line because you're "there."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

Here in Mass, we will be lucky to get on a list for a jab by April.  Seems like over 65, but otherwise healthy,  will be last in the pecking order.........   might need to travel to Florida or Texas, they seem to be doing things right! 

Not this part of Texas.  ☹️ It is a bit puzzling that some jurisdiction are doing well here but others like San Antonio are having supply and injection scheduling problems.   

Of course if anyone on this forum is from Taiwan they can really feel smug. While all of us on here live in countries where the Covid deaths are measured in thousands or tens of thousands, in Taiwan the figure is 7.  Not seven thousand, not even seven hundred, just 7.

Now that's something to crow about. 

• Like 3

Maria and I along with 14 of our friends all got our first Moderna vaccine shot yesterday.  We all are over 65 (most over 75) and we made appointments on the internet. We did not “cut in line” we all qualified.   It went so smoothly.  it was amazing how well organized they were.  They were vaccinating 10 people at a time, the wait was five minutes after we filled out our paper work.  So far no one has reported any negative effects from the shots.

This was done by Acension Seaton hospital in Austin, Texas.   They must be vaccinating thousands of people per day.  I saw recently that Texas was leading the US in numbers of vaccinations so we appear to be doing it right. At the same time I saw in the papers that there were long lines and chaos at county health agencies in other places. My sister waited in line for over one hour in Tennessee.

We got our appointment for the second shot in 28 days along with our CDC card that shows the date of the vaccination, lot number and the providers name.  I assume (tongue in cheek) that this will serve as our “vaccine passport” for travel.  I see where certain countries are leaning that way and the tech companies are developing apps in that direction.

Good luck to all in getting your shots/jabs.  We found that patiently and persistently searching the internet for local sources for the shots worked.  We spent several hours searching and searching for availability and it worked.  After we located Acension Seaton we told our friends and they all eventually got appointments.  One couple tried every 10 minutes for four hours before a time slot opened up.  Don’t give up keep trying!!

• Like 2

Here in Arlington it was quite civilized. Our doctor’s office sent us an email link to the affiliated hospital (actually I found it first on the county’s site as soon as I heard that it was opened to seniors). It took me  maybe 25 minutes to get hold of a solid link. Available dates kept flashing by but the first day popped up and I was able to snag. 
I was only able to get a month later for the wife. So on the big day I showed up an hour early with my wife. I pulled into reserved parking, checked in, we both got punched by experienced nurses, set up with a return appointment, did our 15 minute rest and out the door in about an hour and a half. All done by the Virginia Hospital Center. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/17/2021 at 8:47 AM, Fletcher said:

For us in the UK, could you possibly explain this.  Don't you have to be resident somewhere in order to get the jab? Or can you just pick a place and pay for it?  My understanding is, in the UK at least, absolutely no one can pay for the jab and jump a queue.  I thought the US had a similar policy.

I don’t really know the answer to that, (just being sarcastic),  I just know my snowbird friends in Florida already have been jabbed

On 1/17/2021 at 6:47 AM, Fletcher said:

This is a quick simplified response to a complicated situation and I hope it helps. The Covid Vaccination is a Federal program called Warp Speed administered by the individual. states.  Federalism in the U.S. is the constitutional division of power between state and federal government. Most states wanted control over distribution, but there is debate about whether the Feds should set up a massive distribution program.  Fyi, States/private industry distribute flu vaccinations every year to about 2/3s of the population.  The States were informed  by the Feds in October the vaccine was going to be distributed before the end of the year and given money to set up vaccine implementation.  The CDC has guidelines for the queue, but states are allowed to set their own.  Technically the states are not allowed to turn someone away even if they are from another state. The vaccination is free. Some places like pharmacies inside grocery stores are reimbursed by health care providers or government programs for administering the shot. Some states are setting up the National Guard in stadiums to administer the shot or similar mass vaccination schemes. Often one registers online based on where you are in your states queue and giving a registration code to set up an appointment. Queue jumping for the most part seems  to be limited to friends who have friends in the health care industry or someine who  shared a bulk registration code. There have been bumps and hiccups, but things seem to be sorting themselves out in most states. Unfortunately some states are doing a dismal job. For instance as of a few days ago, California's vaccination rate was near the bottom at 27% of doses distributed by the Feds. Here in New Mexico we are in the middle of the pac at 43%.  West Virginia lead with 73%.

Like everywhere there is drama and finger pointing. There is room for improvement and I am optomistic it will happen relatively quickly as states continue to improve on  their distribution systems. I hope that any responses to this post as per Cruice Critic rules will leave politics out. I appoligize in advance for any mistakes made and hope that the excellent brainpower of CC users will correct them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TRIPACIAN said:

Saga cruise line just announced that all passengers will have to be vaccinated to sail.

I thought this line from the cruise line most interesting..."Guests that are exempt from the vaccine for whatever reason will not be allowed to cruise."

Joseph

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

I thought this line from the cruise line most interesting..."Guests that are exempt from the vaccine for whatever reason will not be allowed to cruise."

Joseph

I can see how this makes sense, especially when starting up again.It also states that if any guest is caught out by this they will arrange a full refund. I wonder if any other lines will follow this approach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rucrazy said:

Joseph

This could bring our cruising to an end.   My wife has an autoimmune condition that effects her bleeding.   Her hematologist is looking at this and if a vaccine or vaccines put her at risk then she’ll recommend no vaccine.   Unfortunate but it is what it is and we’ll survive.