HAL Cancels ALL cruises through March 31, 2021

boze9999

Just received an email from HAL that my 7-day cruise departing Oct 24, 2021 from San Diego to Mexico and return has been cancelled. I don't understand why because it is only 7 days not 8 from a US Port. This is my 3rd cruise cancelled this year 😒

5 minutes ago, DesertDogs said:

Just received an email from HAL that my 7-day cruise departing Oct 24, 2021 from San Diego to Mexico and return has been cancelled. I don't understand why because it is only 7 days not 8 from a US Port. This is my 3rd cruise cancelled this year 😒

That’s weird.

14 minutes ago, ski ww said:

We had already decided not to do any booking/cruising until 2022. I'm sure this will throw a wrench into a lot of peoples plans.

We did this a while back, cancelled all 2021 bookings (except for a land trip in Egypt ) and pushed things into 2022.  

• Like 1

So the only non-FCC monies we had on our March 2021 cruise that just got axed were FCD.  We are before final payment obviously. So do we get the FCD back or does it just get folded into the FCC/cash refunded depending on our choice?

edit: it is an old school FCD is why I ask. We had 2 each of the old school ones when we started 2020. We got refunded ( and lost the benefits of) 1 already due to cancellations. 

Edited by fatcat04

23 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

ANY sailing DEPARTING on or before 11/1, with a duration of 8 days or more, and scheduled to call on a US port is cancelled.  This also includes b2b cruises sold as consecutive/collectors cruises where the individual segments add up to 8 days or more.  It appears that back to back sailings will not be allowed regardless of sailing length of each individual segment.

Oh my, that’s going to cause huge issues.  I guess our Europe/ transatlantic 27 day cruise will be cancelled.  I had hoped since we arrive in Ft Lauderdale on Thanksgiving day 2021 we might have been ok.  

What a mess.  

5 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

So the only non-FCC monies we had on our March 2021 cruise that just got axed were FCD.  We are before final payment obviously. So do we get the FCD back or does it just get folded into the FCC/cash refunded depending on our choice?

When one of our cruises was cancelled we got our FCDs back as FCDs, but the amount that was doubled came as FCC (that is, $200 as FCD, $400 as FCC.)  It took months, but finally showed up on our profiles.

31 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

ANY sailing DEPARTING on or before 11/1, with a duration of 8 days or more, and scheduled to call on a US port is cancelled.  This also includes b2b cruises sold as consecutive/collectors cruises where the individual segments add up to 8 days or more.  It appears that back to back sailings will not be allowed regardless of sailing length of each individual segment.

Yup.  Sadly, got my email from HAL 😢. I thought the Fall of next year was a safe time to book.  Apparently not 😔 

19 minutes ago, DesertDogs said:

Do you think they made a mistake?  We haven't had an email yet regarding our 7-day round trip SD cruise.  I will post if we do!

Just now, Vict0riann said:

When one of our cruises was cancelled we got our FCDs back as FCDs, but the amount that was doubled came as FCC (that is, $200 as FCD, $400 as FCC.)  It took months, but finally showed up on our profiles.

Okay. Thanks. Yes, I'd prefer to keep the FCD just because it is useful and had good OBC. Yeah, I anticipate a 6 mos wait for this to get fixed regardless.

9 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

Oh my, that’s going to cause huge issues.  I guess our Europe/ transatlantic 27 day cruise will be cancelled.  I had hoped since we arrive in Ft Lauderdale on Thanksgiving day 2021 we might have been ok.  

What a mess.  

I think you are ok.  Europe sailings don’t count so it’s only the TA segment that counts I think and IIRC yours leaves well after November 1st.

1 minute ago, kazu said:

Yup.  Sadly, got my email from HAL 😢. I thought the Fall of next year was a safe time to book.  Apparently not 😔 

Man oh man...I haven’t got ours yet but honestly, I’m not meant to cruise Europe!  This is 2nd attempt and cancelled.  Sigh.  Sure hope our Tahiti cruise gets to go.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

I think you are ok.  Europe sailings don’t count so it’s only the TA segment that counts I think and IIRC yours leaves well after November 1st.

We are on the 27 day cruise though-Venice to Ft Lauderdale.  Leaves late October.    

5 minutes ago, vswan said:

Has anyone else canceled the credit card that was used for a cruise deposit and requested  a cash refund. How does that work?

Our cc number was stolen actually so the account stayed open but under a new number. Our $$ from shore excursion, dining etc was credited to the new card number, just took a couple extra days for the $$ to get to the right place. If the account is completely closed however, I do not know what happens. 

Edited by fatcat04

13 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Do you think they made a mistake?  We haven't had an email yet regarding our 7-day round trip SD cruise.  I will post if we do!

I don't think it's a mistake because the cruise no longer shows on the website. I guess it's because it was scheduled to sail prior to November 1, 2021.

24 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

What a mess.  

If the Transatlantic segment departs after 11/1 you may be ok.  I think that is the date determiner.  This is all such a mess and it's only going to get worse as time goes on.  I expect MASSIVE deployment changes for 2021 to happen soon for all cruise lines

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vswan said:

Has anyone else canceled the credit card that was used for a cruise deposit and requested  a cash refund. How does that work?

If the account is completely closed with no new card issued the merchant has to first attempt charging back the card (this is required by regulations governing CC transactions), once the chargeback is returned by the CC company to the merchant they are then able to send a refund via check.  You cannot request a refund by check in lieu of them attempting the chargeback to the CC first.  This process will take an extensive period of time - often upwards of 6-8 months depending on how fast the CC company sends back the chargeback to the merchant and how the merchant handles "cash" (check) refunds.  I believe HAL outsources them in quarterly batches to a third party called "paymode direct".  This may have changed.

If the account has not been closed, but a new card # has been issued, all refunds will post to the new card # automatically when the merchant submits the chargeback to the old card #

26 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

If the Transatlantic segment departs after 11/1 you may be ok.  I think that is the date determiner.  This is all such a mess and it's only going to get worse as time goes on.  I expect MASSIVE deployment changes for 2021 to happen soon for all cruise lines

Oh, now I understand what Kazu and you meant.   Although we booked it as one cruise it is in fact 2 put together.  Hmmm...we leave from Venice on October 29th.  Then the Transatlantic part leaves from Barcelona on November 10th.    Maybe we will be ok.  

Still a mess for so many others.  I had honestly hoped with a vaccine coming soon that ships would be fine come the late summer/fall of 2021. 

31 minutes ago, DesertDogs said:

I don't think it's a mistake because the cruise no longer shows on the website. I guess it's because it was scheduled to sail prior to November 1, 2021.

Our 7-day on Koningsdam to Mexico  from SD in April, 2021 is  on the website.  I suppose they may still take it off but so far, so good.