Jump to content

HAL Cancels ALL cruises through March 31, 2021


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

 

Oh, now I understand what Kazu and you meant.   Although we booked it as one cruise it is in fact 2 put together.  Hmmm...we leave from Venice on October 29th.  Then the Transatlantic part leaves from Barcelona on November 10th.    Maybe we will be ok.  

 

Still a mess for so many others.  I had honestly hoped with a vaccine coming soon that ships would be fine come the late summer/fall of 2021. 

 

IF they are able to operate ships in Europe in 2021 I am highly skeptical that anyone who resides outside the EU will be permitted to travel.  Sadly - I think there will be MANY MANY MANY more cancellations and itinerary changes before this is all over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

 

IF they are able to operate ships in Europe in 2021 I am highly skeptical that anyone who resides outside the EU will be permitted to travel.  Sadly - I think there will be MANY MANY MANY more cancellations and itinerary changes before this is all over.

Oh 😒 well I guess I’ll have to go find a bigger patience hat to put on as my small patience hat has run out, lol.  
 

It definitely is trying times for all.  I feel for the ships, all the staff including on and off the ship, the staff dealing inside with all these changes and off course all the passengers who had high hopes.  We can all only hope that in future the ships will sail and we all remain healthy.  
 

As always, thank you for your valuable input.  It is appreciated.  
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, if we choose the refund option for a cancelled cruise and they say they will refund original payment method and we paid with a gift card (which we don't have the card anymore), will we get a new gift card, or a check?

 

Thanks 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cwd79 said:

So, if we choose the refund option for a cancelled cruise and they say they will refund original payment method and we paid with a gift card (which we don't have the card anymore), will we get a new gift card, or a check?

 

Thanks 

I have been told that it will be issued as a new gift card.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

 

ANY sailing DEPARTING on or before 11/1, with a duration of 8 days or more, and scheduled to call on a US port is cancelled.  This also includes b2b cruises sold as consecutive/collectors cruises where the individual segments add up to 8 days or more.  It appears that back to back sailings will not be allowed regardless of sailing length of each individual segment.


I apologize if this has been asked & answered, but is there anywhere that clarifies whether HAL is counting actual cruise days only, vs cruise & land tour combination? I have a 14 day cruise tour booked in September 2021, but the actual cruise is only 7 days.

 

I have a call into my TA, but I suspect he is busy tearing his hair out.

 

Thanks for any light you can shine on this for me.

 

Ann

Edited by cat shepard
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well...as we now have 2 cruises in this canceled window, it would be nice if the flesh out the schedule a bit more so we can, if we wish, book another cruise(s) with the money involved. But, for example, unless I missed something, Koningsdam is off the schedule from Sept 25 2021 to Nov 14...a period of 50 days. Maybe a 2 week drydock, but 50 days? And that October window fits our needs well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The "more than 7 days" from US ports was announced, and discussed here, on Nov 10.

The one from November 10th (which was still up on HAL's site 4 hours ago) regarding the 8+ day itineraries in/out of US ports was a "temporary pause" while things were being evaluated based on CDC guidelines.  This new release (3 hours ago) removed it, making it appear anyway that they've made the decision to cancel them until Nov. 1st 2021 and move along.  Unfortunately this will cancel our 45 night HI/South Pacific cruise on Zuiderdam out of/into San Diego in early October. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Our 7-day on Koningsdam to Mexico  from SD in April, 2021 is  on the website.  I suppose they may still take it off but so far, so good.

I hope that yours is the cruise that officially resumes cruising on the West Coast.  The cancellations were through March 31.  April will begin West Coast cruises and eventually Alaska itineraries.  I have been pretty confident that the Alaska season will happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oaktreerb said:

I hope that yours is the cruise that officially resumes cruising on the West Coast.  The cancellations were through March 31.  April will begin West Coast cruises and eventually Alaska itineraries.  I have been pretty confident that the Alaska season will happen.


I'm actually of the mind that Alaska 2021 will NOT be happening. Even with a new administration in the US government, and a potential vaccine sometime in Q1 I am doubtful that the Canadian government will reopen the border or ports. Simply too many Americans will not heed any new national Covid protocols and also there is a large percentage of the population that will refuse to get vaccinated (even if they can get it which is doubtful).  
 

Simply put the mess in the US will prompt Canada to continue to “just say no”!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Okay. Thanks. Yes, I'd prefer to keep the FCD just because it is useful and had good OBC. Yeah, I anticipate a 6 mos wait for this to get fixed regardless.

Same situation here.  Originally FCD for 14 day March 21 cruise along with great OBC.  Am I correct by what you all are saying that we will get to keep the OBC also?

I am sad though as I would much prefer to take that cruise rather than come out ahead money wise.  Oh well, "you can't always get what you want"!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, regnig said:

Same situation here.  Originally FCD for 14 day March 21 cruise along with great OBC.  Am I correct by what you all are saying that we will get to keep the OBC also?

I am sad though as I would much prefer to take that cruise rather than come out ahead money wise.  Oh well, "you can't always get what you want"!

I hope we can keep all the FCD , but I am afraid the turn them into FCC

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

I am wondering why they are sending Westerdam and Nieuw Statendam from their current location to US ports when they are scheduled to sail in Europe from April.  Would they not send them to European ports (or UK port) to prepare for the summer season?

Is the writing on the wall then?  Makes no sense if there are no North American cruises until April and they are to sail in April in Europe.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:


I'm actually of the mind that Alaska 2021 will NOT be happening. Even with a new administration in the US government, and a potential vaccine sometime in Q1 I am doubtful that the Canadian government will reopen the border or ports. Simply too many Americans will not heed any new national Covid protocols and also there is a large percentage of the population that will refuse to get vaccinated (even if they can get it which is doubtful).  
 

Simply put the mess in the US will prompt Canada to continue to “just say no”!

 

With the news of a vaccine likely being widely available by early 2021, I would hope they (CDC and cruise lines) will have a plan in place before Alaska starts.....

 

From the cruise critic article - there are thousands willing to go on test cruises... so hopefully enough will be willing to cruise in the summer.  I'm raising my hand high.. I want to go badly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, canadianbear said:

Man oh man...I haven’t got ours yet but honestly, I’m not meant to cruise Europe!  This is 2nd attempt and cancelled.  Sigh.  Sure hope our Tahiti cruise gets to go.  

I’m hoping for you,  but after four tries  for us for Tahiti,  we’ve given up!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:


I'm actually of the mind that Alaska 2021 will NOT be happening. Even with a new administration in the US government, and a potential vaccine sometime in Q1 I am doubtful that the Canadian government will reopen the border or ports. Simply too many Americans will not heed any new national Covid protocols and also there is a large percentage of the population that will refuse to get vaccinated (even if they can get it which is doubtful).  
 

Simply put the mess in the US will prompt Canada to continue to “just say no”!

I’m giving this pandemic a year to play out.  With vaccines I think cruising can resume.  The crew should have to receive the vaccine if they want to work on a cruise ship and passengers should have to certify that they have received the vaccine in order to board.  The cruises have to start up again sometime or go out of business. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I’m hoping for you,  but after four tries  for us for Tahiti,  we’ve given up!  


Really?  Your attempt at Tahiti sounds like ours for Europe!  
 

So much is up in the air.  Trying to not stress over it.  Ours isn’t until late February 2022 so hopefully it will happen.  If things haven’t settled down we will cancel just before final payment.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:


I'm actually of the mind that Alaska 2021 will NOT be happening. Even with a new administration in the US government, and a potential vaccine sometime in Q1 I am doubtful that the Canadian government will reopen the border or ports. Simply too many Americans will not heed any new national Covid protocols and also there is a large percentage of the population that will refuse to get vaccinated (even if they can get it which is doubtful).  
 

Simply put the mess in the US will prompt Canada to continue to “just say no”!

It’s a joint decision. Maybe the US will continue to say  NO to all the snowbirds 

After all Canada’s numbers are still rising.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots more grist for the cancel, rebook, refund, FCC mill.  Oh so glad that we are not on that treadmill!

 

Not to mention the airline cancelation/rebook or credit game.

 

I suspect that there will be more to follow in the future

 

Edited by iancal
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Alberto Aliberti, President of Atlas Ocean Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...