Just had a thought/fear

ScottC4746

52 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

We had all the right clothing, but ended up only using our balcony for an hour or so, one time, during our entire 10-night AK cruise.  It was just so much nicer being on the open top deck, to see the scenery in all directions.  We would not do a balcony again.

Only drawback to a balcony is you only get 50% of the scenery unless you get an aft corner.

I've been on several cruises to Alaska. 

The warmest weather was a May/June cruise.  I wore T-Shirts the entire time, even at Hubbard Glacier.  The coolest weather was a July cruise.  I needed several layers each day.

Alaska temperatures tend to be unpredictable from what I have read. 

You will be so happy that you have a verandah.  You will be spending all of your time looking at the scenery.

Neptune suites in Alaska are great. But you don't have to stay on the veranda the whole time while enjoying Glacier Bay or the Sawyer Glacier. We often leave the TV on so can run in and see what is ahead. We also go down to the bow when it is open for that view and back to the stern to see where we have been. 

We also buy one of the specialty drinks offered on the Lido deck during a glacier viewing and take it back to the cabin and enjoy it on the veranda underneath the warm blankets if it is cold. 

Waking up and going out on the veranda and watching the scenery in one of the passages sailed is also great.  Viewing the docking in ports is also a treat.

You will get a lot of use on your veranda in Alaska. 

We’ve had a Neptune suite the 3 times we’ve done Alaska.  We did twice in May and once in September.  May was shorts weather one time but the other two times we had our jacket with hoods.  

We loved the balcony and used it a lot especially when the Captain was rotating the ship.  We’d get our snacks, tea or whatever drink (wine) for the balcony, grab our jackets, blanket & binoculars and enjoy it.  So peaceful.  

We also had friends on the cruise who we invited to our balcony and they were in awe of the beauty and peacefulness.  

You will love the experience.  Neptune lounge is so convenient to grab your snacks and drinks and then relax on your balcony. 

I'll tag on to canadianbear's post above to say that when we invited friends to share our balcony while in Hubbard Glacier, we pre-arranged high tea for the 4 of us with the Neptune Lounge concierge.  The weather couldn't have been more beautiful to sit outside and it was just an OUTSTANDING afternoon!!  Out of the 6 times we've cruised Alaska, that was the first time we'd done that but for sure it won't be the last.  

Edited by zelker
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

We had all the right clothing, but ended up only using our balcony for an hour or so, one time, during our entire 10-night AK cruise.  It was just so much nicer being on the open top deck, to see the scenery in all directions.  We would not do a balcony again.

Lots of different opinions--all of which are valid for their own reasons--, but, I agree with your view.  I prefer to be on the most forward open deck possible for guests to access.  Deck 6 on ships such as the Rotterdam Class, just under the Bridge, are my favorite place to be when I am sailing in a scenic area.  The forward open deck on Deck 5 of ships like Eurodam are great as well.  If--and that seems to be a major "if"--the Master allows that Deck to be accessible for guests.  

how fun! I want to do that one day! we sailed the end of  May  to Alaska and the weather was wonderful. It was our first suite. we were also one of the few that took swim suits and were in the hot tub at sail away.  excited for you!

Edited by tuolumne couple
  • Like 1

You will enjoy having the veranda for sure!! We've done Alaska twice, both times in a verandah and it was worth every penny! Do not fear the verandah! If you have to worry about anything, worry about the fact that the Alaska season might not happen again for 2021 😞

On 11/21/2020 at 8:44 PM, PSR said:

The Neptune Lounge does not have a bar, but does have pre-dinner "make your own cocktails" for a charge about 4-6pm or so. We have not used this service since it is too early for late seating, but I think this info is reasonably correct. Maybe another poster can confirm.

However, make-your-own & self-service anything is likely to disappear on cruise ships, IMHO.

On 11/21/2020 at 5:44 PM, ScottC4746 said:

Just upgraded to Neptune for June 2021 Alaska.  Is it going to be too cold to even enjoy the verandah?

We have been to Alaska twice on HAL ships.  Our first was a b2b in late June in 2010.  The temps were in the low 80's for both weeks.  It was never uncomfortably cool.  Our most recent Alaska was a land/sea trip in late July 2019.  The 4 days on land was VERY hot.  80's then too.  The cruise back south we had a wrap-around Neptune balcony and it was a pleasure , never remotely cool. And the views were spectacular.  Enjoy.  We are having a RCL rt back to Alaska in May, 2021. (if not cancelled)

On 11/21/2020 at 3:44 PM, ScottC4746 said:

Just upgraded to Neptune for June 2021 Alaska.  Is it going to be too cold to even enjoy the verandah?

Our trip was in late September last year, one of the last Holland America voyages to Alaska. We watched the Glacier calving in jackets with room service hot chocolate.  Bright sunny day. 

On 11/22/2020 at 10:11 PM, bcwife76 said:

You will enjoy having the veranda for sure!! We've done Alaska twice, both times in a verandah and it was worth every penny! Do not fear the verandah! If you have to worry about anything, worry about the fact that the Alaska season might not happen again for 2021 😞

Bite thy tongue!  That is my fear too.