Port of Call: Ushaia Argentina with pictures

JohnandEllie

In mid February this year we boarded the Quest to start a 42 day cruise from San Antonio Chile down the fjords to Tierra del Fuego on to Antartica stopping at the Falklands then Montevideo and Buenos Aries.  The second half of the cruise up the coast of Brazil and into the heart of the Amazon never happened due to the coronavirus. As we approached Uruguay all the borders were closed to us and we sailed with uncertainty for a day until Argentina let us in so we could fly out.  We were lucky to get home in mid March as the whole world shut down.  Seabourn fully refunded the canceled half of the cruise, unprompted with no drama.  I hope we can cruise with them next year.

Anyway this was our third time in Ushaia so I opted for a helicopter tour.  Due to the pandemic I was the only passenger.  Highly recommended.

DSC04934.jpg

DSC04757-Pano-Edit.jpg

DSC04791-Edit.jpg

DSC04799-Pano-Edit.jpg

DSC04813-Edit.jpg

DSC04844-Pano.jpg

DSC04853-Edit.jpg

DSC04878-Pano.jpg

DSC04900.jpg

DSC04909-Pano.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, tjcox9 said:

I particularly like the 2nd one.

Yes, that winding stream is landscape like I have never seen.

It was overcast with wind speeds of 35 to 45 knots on our last visit, helicopters would have been grounded, not that we booked one. It was not the most pleasant walk to the prison and maritime museum. We were on the January 12 sailing from San Antonio with no Coronavirus concerns.

• 1 month later...

We did the Antarctica on the Quest in 2018 but were unable to dock in Ushaia due to winds.  We were scheduled on the BA/Amazon/Miami/Barca route on the Quest and had our bags packed at the door when Seabourn cancelled our trip. Rebooked the same route for 2022 - keeping our fingers crossed. 

Hope to do Antarctica again some time.  Would love to do some of the treks in Patagonia as well