Refunds

Bob1956

We switched our trip to next year so we are not expecting a refund.  We have received marketing materials from AQSC so I have been assuming they are solid financially.  Maybe a bad assumption. I am sorry to hear you are awaiting a refund for almost 5 months.  We had to wait about 4 months for a refund from Princess.

We were booked on "Mighty Mississippi" on Countess, September 21.  We requested refunds via TA at first possible moment (Sept 6).  We received a credit on CC for port fees around Nov 6.  TA tells us her info from AQSC is to expect the fare refund o/a Dec 15. Thus far, AQSC has had an interest free loan from us totaling close to $10,000.00 for over a year.

We had our September 2020 fully paid cruise cancelled. We chose to receive FCC (of 125%) instead of taking the refund. We then rebooked for October 2021. 

Last week I received a credit to my credit card for the port fees and taxes (for the 2020 canceled cruise).

Within a few days I received an email from my TA saying AQSC was demanding payment of our port fees and taxes for the October 2021 cruise as you can't use FCC for those.

So... I turned around and charged the port charges. They had over $9,000 of mine but were threatening to cancel my reservation if I didn't pay the $398. 

I have credit with American Airlines for flights to get to the cruise but I think I am going to hold off on booking until we get a little closer. So tired of canceling travel plans.

We are tired of changing travel plans, too.  We hope that AQSC will require proof of vaccination for their cruises in 2021 otherwise we will be reluctant to take our Mighty Mississippi trip next July for which final payment is due in March.

Anyone else of the same mind?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LDVinNC said:

We are tired of changing travel plans, too.  We hope that AQSC will require proof of vaccination for their cruises in 2021 otherwise we will be reluctant to take our Mighty Mississippi trip next July for which final payment is due in March.

Yep, same here. We have paid port fees for next August Duchess Mighty Mississippi. Waiting for refund from last summer's Mighty Mississippi. (We opted out of the 125% FCC).

The problem is we booked for next year but they said we could only apply 75% to next years cruise and they had to refund the other 25%. They told our TA we would have it the end of October and here it is the end of November. Maybe time to get an attorney

On 11/22/2020 at 5:52 PM, LDVinNC said:

We took the 125% for our cancelled August trip and applied it to one in April 2021.  I am now fearing this may be too early although the news in the UK is that for the category we are in they hope to have us fully vaccinated (2 doses) by mid March.  I also hope airlines, border controls and cruise lines etc require proof in the coming year as it will give comfort to them, their crew and guests.

I think the health situations of myself and my husband will have us in an early distribution phase, too.  As a matter of fact my oncologist told me the other day that they already have the necessary equipment to store the vaccine.  This was comforting. 

But what about other passengers who - luckily for them - are healthier and may not be able to get the vaccine before a spring trip?  I would want everybody on the boat to have been vaccinated.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our Sept. 21 cruise was cancelled by AQ on Sept. 2. We immediately asked for a refund instead of a FCC. Our TA told us we should expect our refund in ninety days, which was last week. He checked with them again today. AQSC told him our refund was approved on 12/4 and we should get the credit to our card in two weeks. We hope to get our money by Christmas! 

I am not sure I will ever book again with this company. We paid in full on Oct. 2019. I understand times are hard but this is distressing. 

17 hours ago, ann1bell said:

I am not sure I will ever book again with this company. We paid in full on Oct. 2019. I understand times are hard but this is distressing. 

Then you may not wish to book with ANY cruise line.   They all have had very long wait times to refund for cancelled cruises.  In fact, if you only have to wait 3 months after a cancelled cruise to get your refund, that is not so bad.  We waited 5 months for refunds for a couple of Princess cruises, and I have heard of much longer wait times from other cruise lines.  Take a look at the forums for Crystal, which up to now has been considered a premium cruise line.

Just FYI, the fare refunds for cancelled American Countess "Mighty Mississippi", September 21 2020 hit my credit card last night.

We are now seriously questioning any cruise that requires full payment on booking.  As several have noted, AQSC had use of our money for over a year, then waited 90 days before refunding when the cruise was cancelled by them.  

Yep, got my refund last night for last June/July's Duchess Mighty Mississippi. I requested the refund in September (opting out of the FCC). Interesting there are a total of 7 transactions of differing amounts to credit the refund back to my credit card.

AQSC called me yesterday and said the card wouldn't take the last $1000!!! Weird, anyway, she verified my mailing address and AQSC is sending a check for that amount.

I'm booked (paid port fees) for next year and have plenty of time before paying in full.

Edited by TinCan782

On 12/10/2020 at 8:25 AM, diplomats said:

We are now seriously questioning any cruise that requires full payment on booking.  As several have noted, AQSC had use of our money for over a year, then waited 90 days before refunding when the cruise was cancelled by them.  

I know that ASQC in the past (and maybe they still do) has offered discounts for full payment upon booking.  Have never taken advantage of that and instead have paid only a deposit then full payment when it is due, for the reason you mention.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2020 at 8:02 AM, LDVinNC said:

Then you may not wish to book with ANY cruise line.   They all have had very long wait times to refund for cancelled cruises.  In fact, if you only have to wait 3 months after a cancelled cruise to get your refund, that is not so bad.  We waited 5 months for refunds for a couple of Princess cruises, and I have heard of much longer wait times from other cruise lines.  Take a look at the forums for Crystal, which up to now has been considered a premium cruise line.

Not true for all cruise lines.  I cancelled a cruise on Royal Caribbean and another on Celebrity in November and I received full refunds to my CC in less than a week for both cruises.

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Not true for all cruise lines.  I cancelled a cruise on Royal Caribbean and another on Celebrity in November and I received full refunds to my CC in less than a week for both cruises.

It depends on which travel agent you used as well (certainly does in the UK). We have evidence of cruise lines (including Royal Caribbean) paying over the funds to the agency but it taking another 90 days to be transferred to the guest. One major UK online agency has been guilty of this and have been downright dishonest throughout the entire procedure. So it’s not only about what cruise line you were booked with. 

2 hours ago, uktog said:

It depends on which travel agent you used as well (certainly does in the UK). We have evidence of cruise lines (including Royal Caribbean) paying over the funds to the agency but it taking another 90 days to be transferred to the guest. One major UK online agency has been guilty of this and have been downright dishonest throughout the entire procedure. So it’s not only about what cruise line you were booked with. 

There are two issues here.  First in your example, the cruise line did make the refund.  The implied point of discussion was; Are other cruise lines in a better financial position the AQSC to provide refunds and the answer is yes.  Taking months for a refund many have occurred early on in the shutdown but many cruise lines are handling refunds in a timely manner.  Second in the US, the advice is never to make payment TA, always directly to the cruise line.  If the system in the UK requires customers to pay the the TA then that increases the chances of losing your money through a TA in poor financial condition.  However doesn't the UK also have a lot of other rules and insurance to reimburse you if there is a loss through the TA?

31 minutes ago, LDVinNC said:

How do you know this?

Perhaps the fact that cruise lines like Royal Caribbean and Celebrity send refunds to individuals or TAs in a few days and AQSC doesn't send refunds for months should give you a hint.  Most major cruise lines have indicated that they have enough cash to get them to the end of 2021 or a little longer.  Has AQSC provided this type of guidance?

Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azamara all took two months to issue refunds to agents in the UK and I believe it was nearer six months in Australia for some guests.  My own dealings AQSC was the best to deal with once I got over the antics of the agency whose approach to the process was untruthful and unethical

On 12/30/2020 at 3:30 PM, uktog said:

Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Azamara all took two months to issue refunds to agents in the UK and I believe it was nearer six months in Australia for some guests. 

This just doesn't make any sense.  Currently Royal, Celebrity and Azamara have been issuing refunds within a week for most guests, why would they not issue refunds for international passengers for months?   Things may have been different at the start of the pandemic but the Royal group is now very prompt with refunds.  If anyone is experiencing these type of delays getting refunds from TA's it's likely the result of unethical or incompetent TA's.

Does AQSC have money for prompt refunds?  That's an entirely different story.

Edited by ipeeinthepool

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

This just doesn't make any sense.  Currently Royal, Celebrity and Azamara have been issuing refunds within a week for most guests, why would they not issue refunds for international passengers for months?   Things may have been different at the start of the pandemic but the Royal group is now very prompt with refunds.  If anyone is experiencing these type of delays getting refunds from TA's it's likely the result of unethical or incompetent TA's.

Does AQSC have money for prompt refunds?  That's an entirely different story.

You have misunderstood  the post. The cruise lines have been issuing the refunds for international guests it’s the agencies who are not passing the refunds to their customers and have claimed they had not received the refunds. All lies. 

Edited by uktog