New vaccine

hollyjess

Hi fellow cruises. Just wondering whether the new vaccine will change people's mindset on 2021 cruises. Myself and other half are still in two minds whether to have it. Hubby 81 and I am 75 so he will be nearer the top of the list! Have any of you any thoughts?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hollyjess said:

Hi fellow cruises. Just wondering whether the new vaccine will change people's mindset on 2021 cruises. Myself and other half are still in two minds whether to have it. Hubby 81 and I am 75 so he will be nearer the top of the list! Have any of you any thoughts?

I am in my mid 70s and my Wife is a few years younger, we will certainly take the vaccine when it is available.

My attitude to cruising will remain the same, I will not be booking anything until we see how the future of cruising looks and if the experience will be something we will still enjoy.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 7

I can think of no justifiable reason why we, or anyone who has not been advised not to have a vaccine, should not jump at the the opportunity to have one, not just for our own protection but to help build a brick in the wall of stopping covid in its tracks.

• Like 7

Hi we are in the over 65 age group and have underlying health problems heart condition and ongoing cancer  treatments we will have the vaccine as soon as we possibly can and continue our cruising as soon as it’s safe we want to get our lives back to as close as normal as it can be life is for living and not hiding away like we are at the moment 👍🤗

• Like 6

I will definately have the vaccine as soon as possible(I may have to wait for another type due to being immuno suppressed) If most people have been vacinated( and I really hope the majority of the population will jump at the chance) and the 'R' number drops by a lot I will be booking a cruise a s a p (I haven t got any future ones at the moment because I would want to know how excursions etc are going to work Covid is such a horrible disease and I think one major factor in helping reduce cases numbers  is if most people are vacinated.Personaly I find it hard to understand why anyone wouldn t want the jab.I realise its early days and some people may be wary incase of future side effects and its an individual choice but if possible I would be first in the queue!

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, hollyjess said:

Have any of you any thoughts?

We are 73 & 70. Fit and in excellent health . Love, love, love cruising (70+ cruises). Usually risk-takers (motorcycles, wandering ports' backstreets, etc.). But this virus is another animal, which it seems a lot of folks are not taking seriously. For us, there are too many unknowns, about the virus, the vaccine, cruising and even the future of the cruise business. We don't believe the cruise lines' malarkey any more, particularly about their concern for passenger safety and their protocols. We hope the vaccine will eventually prove effective (we get the flu vaccine every year), but we do not want to be the guinea pigs. Ditto the re-start cruises, if they ever happen. And we would not want to sail with all  the folks who are ready to cruise ASAP despite the risk. (BTW, one of the unknowns about the vaccines is whether they prevent the vaccinated from spreading the virus).

We consider ourselves extremely lucky to have cruised and seen a lot of the world already and to be happy and safe at home for now. Our exposure is extremely limited. We question whether the vaccine will be the panacea many believe. We think it will be quite some time before the world emerges from this and before we will cruise again, if ever.

Edited by latserrof
  • Like 2

We intend to have the vaccine as soon as we are able to - we are both over 65 and keen to get back to some kind of normality in our daily life. We have a cruise booked for October 2021, but shall want to see what future cruises look like before we commit to making final payment.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, latserrof said:

We hope the vaccine will eventually prove effective (we get the flu vaccine every year), but we do not want to be the guinea pigs

Hmm, so possible side effects from the vaccine - possible aches and pains and headaches, normally lasting only 24 hours. Possible side effect from CV19 - death !

I'll take the chance and be a guinea pig any day.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, hollyjess said:

I understand it is not a live virus in the vaccine.

Personally I will take the vaccine as soon as possible unless I still have covid19 antibodies in my system due to currently having covid19.

18 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I understand it is not a live virus in the vaccine.

Personally I will take the vaccine as soon as possible unless I still have covid19 antibodies in my system due to currently having covid19.

Graham?  I am so sorry, hope  you are OK

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, latserrof said:

Slightly off-topic, but CDC strengthened it warning against cruising:

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-cruiseship-idUKKBN2810X8

This reinforces my belief that there are many chapters to this story yet to be written, and some will not be good, vaccine or no.

From reading other areas of the forum, I’ve noticed that  both Princess and Holland America have cancelled a fairly large chunk of 2021 cruises, and no cruises of longer than 7 nights will be allowed until November 2021 that visit USA ports.

So it looks like the cruise industry  may not return to any semblance of normality just yet. 

• Like 1

Both me (age 60) and husband (age 69) are intending to have the vaccine when available, for our age group.

However, this has not changed my mindset on cruises. I’m currently switching my 2021 cruises to 2022, when I hope for a world  which is less restricted than now.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Graham?  I am so sorry, hope  you are OK

Thanks Jean.

Day 16 since symptoms began but fortunately I managed to stay in bed at home and feel a lot better now.

It is very nasty so please take care.

Graham.

• Like 1

I will be having whichever vaccine I'm offered.  Not because of cruises, which I am of course keen to get back to - both working at the local port and as a passenger - but working in the NHS, the toll this virus is causing on staff morale (we're not sitting doing nothing in empty wards as some media have commented on) and, probably more importantly than the virus itself, the awful cost it's having and going to have on mental health, cancer diagnoses etc and the services that support them.

11 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Jean.

Day 16 since symptoms began but fortunately I managed to stay in bed at home and feel a lot better now.

It is very nasty so please take care.

Graham.

Glad you seem to be OK graham.  any idea where you got it, or is that a silly question

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I can think of no justifiable reason why we, or anyone who has not been advised not to have a vaccine, should not jump at the the opportunity to have one, not just for our own protection but to help build a brick in the wall of stopping covid in its tracks.

Absolutely spot on John ,when they say you're good to go ,then ....GO !

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Glad you seem to be OK graham.  any idea where you got it, or is that a silly question

I was at the eye infirmary 4 days before symptoms began.

I was there for confirmation I needed an Epiretinal Membrane removing and they did lots of tests on my eyes so I think the virus entered through my eyes.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27