New vaccine

hollyjess

3 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Personally, at the moment I find it much easier to live for the day, without thinking too much about the future 

Well that’s up to you, it just seems that you are continually trying to suppress other posters positivity. If you’re pessimism is acceptable, so is our optimism. 

Lots, including myself, would say that there isn’t much to live in the moment for at the moment, it’s the future prosperity that is keeping us going. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Life is indeed looking up. Lots of folk trying hard to improve things. Shame that the negative attitude is still out there.🤣

You’re so right. 

lots of headlines still saying that we are at ‘war’ and normally I dislike that line but I have to say I agree in terms of the Army of people that we have fighting back on our behalf. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, zap99 said:

And when they make those optimistic promises come to fruition I bet you praise them, don't you.🤣

If an optimistic promise came to fruition e.g. ‘it will look very different by Easter’, I would certainly acknowledge that the outcome was better than I previously thought - I can’t see a problem with that 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Well, only the most gullible believe things like ‘we’ll lick this virus in 12 weeks’ and ‘it’ll be all over be Christmas’ No hindsight needed, it was obvious hogwash when the promise was made! 

The point is that NOBODY knows what tomorrow holds let alone weeks and months. 
some are saying Easter will see restrictions release and the start of the end, others are saying years until we can begin to get back to normal. One of the theories will become right but the truth is nobody knows which one. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, joeecco said:

You’re so right. 

lots of headlines still saying that we are at ‘war’ and normally I dislike that line but I have to say I agree in terms of the Army of people that we have fighting back on our behalf. 

In previous posts folks have commented on the tremendous efforts that are being made by thousands. Ensuring crossings are safe, car parks orderly, queues managed. Jabs given. Folk offering lifts to the centre. A truly inspiring effort, but still people winge. Funny old world.🤔

4 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

If an optimistic promise came to fruition e.g. ‘it will look very different by Easter’, I would certainly acknowledge that the outcome was better than I previously thought - I can’t see a problem with that 

At last. Goodnight.🤣

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, joeecco said:

The point is that NOBODY knows what tomorrow holds let alone weeks and months. 
some are saying Easter will see restrictions release and the start of the end, others are saying years until we can begin to get back to normal. One of the theories will become right but the truth is nobody knows which one. 

That’s why I just live for the day at the moment, the future will happen whatever I think. 

3 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We are having a discussion about the vaccine - not a discussion about me - so don’t make it personal about perceived characteristics of a forum member. I will not respond to you if you are going down that route 

Not a perceived characteristic, more of a commenting on a theme of replies. It’s okay for you to be negative and it’s okay for others to be positive. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, joeecco said:

Not a perceived characteristic, more of a commenting on a theme of replies. It’s okay for you to be negative and it’s okay for others to be positive. 

I’m neither - I’m neutral  because I’m not constantly dwelling on the future. Just living in the day 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So as i have been saying, there is still no assurance Vaccination will stop transmission, so how do we get back to normal.?

The vaccine will still possibly allow you to infect others, mutations from other countries may  get here and compromise said Vaccine so how can we drop our guard ever?

i cant see a cruise ship being welcomed anywhere anytime soon or workable international holidays in general.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55784199

We have a cruise booked in July 21, no way that will run, Dec 21 on Iona again i doubt it very much.

July 22 is our next one so hopefully third time lucky.

Edited by Chrisdriving
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chrisdriving said:

So as i have been saying, there is still no assurance Vaccination will stop transmission, so how do we get back to normal.?

The vaccine will still possibly allow you to infect others, mutations from other countries may  get here and compromise said Vaccine so how can we drop our guard ever?

i cant see a cruise ship being welcomed anywhere anytime soon or workable international holidays in general.

Despite the clumsy BBC headline, JVT's words, were as usual, very precise.

We don't have the evidence to support whether the vaccines reduce transmission or not. Therefore we need to assume that they don't.

I agree that for the next 8-12 weeks, international holidays and cruises aren't going to be welcome but there will come a point where the vaccination programs are making enough progress, both at home and in these foreign countries, that the need of their respective economies will start to come back to the fore. This is particularly true of Spain.

• Like 11

I hope you are correct but the line various countries are taking against mutations that will get around the Vaccine make me feel the risk of opening the whole population up to illness again will over ride anything else as is currently the case.

i would love to be on Aurora going to Iceland this year but it wont happen.

9 minutes ago, Chrisdriving said:

We have a cruise booked in July 21, no way that will run, Dec 21 on Iona again i doubt it very much.

July 22 is our next one so hopefully third time lucky.

I think that cruises will probably restart in a limited a way later this year.  There are a lot of people who are still planning to go as soon as they can.  We have cancelled our cruises for this year and because we don't like the sound of the proposed restrictions. We have are also not planning anything for next year until things are more settled.  The decision of what to do is a personal one and we are all different.

• Like 5

Norway has some doubt this year where our Iceland one also calls.

At the same time, given recent good news about vaccines and a general desire among people for things to get “back to normal” as soon as possible, I imagine that Norway will open to tourists, in some way, by the end of 2021, and very likely during the summer season. Even in the worst case scenario, I can’t imagine a world where Norway isn’t “back to normal,” at least in terms of tourist entry, by January 1, 2022.

Edited by Chrisdriving

We have a cruise booked on the Iona at the end of October this year and are reasonably optimistic that it will go ahead. If, unfortunately it doesn't due to covid, then I believe we will be facing far more serious problems than cancelled cruises.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, zap99 said:

Interestingly our neighbours aren't doing nearly so well in vaccinating their subjects. When we are a bit further along , I'm sure we can help them out.

No chance,the vaccine will be stuck at Dover for months.I'll do a deal,if they let me take my bacon,bangers and cheese over I'll take a box.On a serious note,they have put all their eggs in the Pziezer basket,bad move.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

I was looking through some of the news feeds this morning to see how they had reported on the Government announcement re; Kent strain of covid and the fact that they stated it could be more than 30% more fatal. Plus some reports that the vaccine could be 50% less effective against the South African strain or whether Sage were only 50% sure that it was actually more deadly against the Kent strain. With me so far, great because I don't know what or who to believe.

WHAT DO STUDIES SUBMITTED TO SAGE ON THE KENT STRAIN'S LETHALITY SHOW?

RESEARCH GROUP 

IMPERIAL COLLEGE LONDON (1)

IMPERIAL COLLEGE LONDON (2)

LONDON SCHOOL OF HYGIENE & TROPICAL MEDICINE (1)  

LONDON SCHOOL OF HYGIENE & TROPICAL MEDICINE (2)

UNIVERSITY OF EXETER 

COVID-19 CLINICAL INFORMATION NETWORK  

PUBLIC HEALTH ENGLAND (1) 

PUBLIC HEALTH ENGLAND (2)

PUBLIC HEALTH ENGLAND (3)

PUBLIC HEALTH ENGLAND (4)

36% 

29% 

35% 

28%

91% 

37%

7%

30%

0%

I know what you mean, at first they said this new strain was more contagious but not so deadly, now they’re saying it’s more deadly! All very depressing.

3 minutes ago, brian1 said:

On a serious note,they have put all their eggs in the Pziezer basket,bad move.

Which seems to be more of a political move, the EU block wanted to use their buying power and are even threatening countries that are trying to buy their own vaccines, In researching the vaccine I have seen many stories about how the EU have handled their vaccine programme, how accurate some of them are is anybody's guess, I don't have much interest in politics but they seem to enmesh everything. In one respect the EU were fortunate that they had ordered the Pfizer vaccine and that it was the first to be approved or they would be even further behind.

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Why be so defensive, your views on anything are surely personal, if you are not willing to defend that view you should not be so keen to post it.

I am happy to defend my views, but debate should  be kept to opinions and not about the person posting the opinion. 

When it gets personal, it can get unpleasant, as the people posting opinions about other forum members  often can’t cope when the favour is returned. 

Plus, posts are likely to get deleted, and it is disheartening to see posts disappear when you’ve put a lot of effort into it.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, zap99 said:

Many people gave them the benefit of the doubt and supported their endeavours to try and keep us safe. They promised 2m a week and are now achieving 3m. Some people need to wipe the egg from their faces and give credit where it is due. Underdeliver, really!!🤔

Zap, I’m afraid you’re only putting one side of the story again. You’re forgetting that in December, Matt Hancock stated on the Today programme that millions (actual word) of vaccinations would be done by Christmas. Did they actually reach one million? Quite some under delivery, but I’m pleased that the programme does now look to be on track again.

It needs to be, though, because our health services are in a state of near collapse because of years of underfunding and the particularly high death rate in the UK caused by getting so many things wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I know what you mean, at first they said this new strain was more contagious but not so deadly, now they’re saying it’s more deadly! All very depressing.

Even me,one of the great unwashed, could see that something was not right.In the Summer there were loads of breakthroughs with drugs and treatment almost promising that a lot more people would be ill but pull through eventually.The thing is to just hang in there and carry on.

• Like 4