New vaccine

hollyjess

50 minutes ago, WECRUISEUK said:

Hope the people of the south sandwich islands close their borders a bit sharpish or more of these penguins will die...............very sad news.

Don't get it,Sue said there's a Pfizer factory in Sandwich.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Tom.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with you but don't read it if you feel this way.

Let our Host decide because it is not for any of us to say what should be posted or not posted except to keep within cc rules.

Graham.

And what a good job she does ,a thankless task at times . All I would add is lets be mindful & respectful  and remember it is not just the posters who bait /taunt and insult each other that come on these boards . Some posters come on here for an escape from life's reality's and have found the people a great comfort and until cruising comes back we can support each other ,can we not ?

Some say if you do not like then scroll on by . How can you when the spat is intermingled with other posts you want to read . Come on guys ,you're better than this and does it matter what a  MP said six what six months ago . Lets at least try and be positive , not easy but ? 

I would rather hear what you will tell your family what this covid has taught you . If we just keep mulling over the past we will never go forward ,learn from the past and move on .

Take care each and every one of you and keep safe .:classic_smile:

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Tom.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with you but don't read it if you feel this way.

Let our Host decide because it is not for any of us to say what should be posted or not posted except to keep within cc rules.

Graham.

Well said

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I hope you don't mind if I pick some brains (especially as some of you work in the medical field) - and it does make a change from the arguing going on sometimes - am I right in thinking that if you do not respond to the original NHS letter offering vaccination then your GP SHOULD get in touch with you to offer an alternative or at least some advice?

We are well over the 80+ age group, and have heard nothing, and sadly our GP practice  is at present very understaffed, so it is a bit worrying.  One of us is not fit enough to walk far or stand up for any length of time.  (He is 93)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I am happy to defend my views, but debate should  be kept to opinions and not about the person posting the opinion. 

When it gets personal, it can get unpleasant, as the people posting opinions about other forum members  often can’t cope when the favour is returned. 

Plus, posts are likely to get deleted, and it is disheartening to see posts disappear when you’ve put a lot of effort into it.

I was merely trying to point out that ones views about anything generally reflect ones personality.  So it becomes difficult not to venture into personalities when trying to argue against someone else's opinions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I hope you don't mind if I pick some brains (especially as some of you work in the medical field) - and it does make a change from the arguing going on sometimes - am I right in thinking that if you do not respond to the original NHS letter offering vaccination then your GP SHOULD get in touch with you to offer an alternative or at least some advice?

We are well over the 80+ age group, and have heard nothing, and sadly our GP practice  is at present very understaffed, so it is a bit worrying.  One of us is not fit enough to walk far or stand up for any length of time.  (He is 93)

Not from the medical field Lincs Lady  but my advice would be to give your doctors receptionist a quick phone call to let them know of your situation and you are now in receipt of the vaccine letter .

Your medical centre can then take action from there and are aware of your situation . 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

This thread is getting very boring and argumentative again. One thing is for sure you cannot change "old news" or history so have to look forward and be positive because if we dont what is the point.

The point is that optimists are not allowed on this thread, as they may undermine the overwhelmingly pessimistic view that, as private Fraser would say, "we're all doomed".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The point is that optimists are not allowed on this thread, as they may undermine the overwhelmingly pessimistic view that, as private Fraser would say, "we're all doomed".

And yet, John, all the complaints about other people’s posts come from the ‘optimists’ as you put it.  I haven’t seen one single complaint from a realist, or pessimist as you’d term it, about optimistic posts.

It seems to be a one way street, even though people have a perfect right to post their own views.

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I would phone or email  your GP and tell them you NEED a home visit.  and ask them when they might be able to come.   If they say they cant /wont, ask them  who you can lodge a complaint with.

Edited by Aulanis

42 minutes ago, lincslady said:

You could call nhs  111 and explain your concerns to them and i'm sure they will be able to help and give you some guidance and reasurance.You will recieve your jabs,most probably this week so sit by the phone,stay safe.

Thank you all for the advice.  I have, of course, tried to phone them - get through to the switchboard, then hang on and then it rings and no one answers.  Also, have logged on to the website and cannot get any response to 'make an appointment' etc.  I will, in due course, ring either 111 of the local District Nurse number, which I have, but I just wondered if, legally, the GP is supposed to come back to you, and if so how long it can take.

At present, I feel unsure if we want to have it at present; so many arguments about whether the 12 week interval is too long, etc.  Quite worrying for those who have had one jab and are waiting for the second.  The whole situation is a bit the blind leading the blind, the world over, as it is such a new problem.  Even though things have not all been handled well at times, I have some sympathy for the powers that be, both governmental and the NHS, in trying to do the right thing.  No wonder we are, most of us, getting a bit twitchy and crotchety!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I was merely trying to point out that ones views about anything generally reflect ones personality.  So it becomes difficult not to venture into personalities when trying to argue against someone else's opinions.

Personally, I'm having a debate, not an argument, that why I avoid making it personal.  

However, I'm pulling out  the debate here, as the people around us are growing tired of it.

• Like 3

All this optimistic/realistic/pessimistic debate reminds me of having to give predicted grades to GCSE and A level students. I could have given a wildly optimistic grade but that wouldn’t have helped anyone in the long run. Short term feel good factor but a huge let down later on. Much better to set a realistic prediction, based on prior achievement, current assessment results with the proviso that the predicted grade could even be exceeded with hard graft. Telling young people (and their parents) what they ‘need’ to hear rather than what they would like to hear. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

I would rather hear what you will tell your family what this covid has taught you

To never take life for granted nor assume that everything will carry on as usual. Sometimes life will gather up your plans, hopes and dreams and scatter them to the four winds, and there's sod all you can do about it. What's important is how you handle it. You have to accept it, work through it, deal with it to your own satisfaction and ultimately learn from it. 

Avril

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Thank you all for the advice.  I have, of course, tried to phone them - get through to the switchboard, then hang on and then it rings and no one answers.  Also, have logged on to the website and cannot get any response to 'make an appointment' etc.  I will, in due course, ring either 111 of the local District Nurse number, which I have, but I just wondered if, legally, the GP is supposed to come back to you, and if so how long it can take.

At present, I feel unsure if we want to have it at present; so many arguments about whether the 12 week interval is too long, etc.  Quite worrying for those who have had one jab and are waiting for the second.  The whole situation is a bit the blind leading the blind, the world over, as it is such a new problem.  Even though things have not all been handled well at times, I have some sympathy for the powers that be, both governmental and the NHS, in trying to do the right thing.  No wonder we are, most of us, getting a bit twitchy and crotchety!

Just a personal opinion, but my view is that while the changes in dose regime are regrettable, one shot has to be better than no shots. And in the case of the Oxford vaccine there’s even some evidence to suggest that the longer gap may actually be beneficial.

Your surgery won’t probably be contactable directly on Sundays, but they should certainly answer tomorrow. Quite a few over 80s in your county haven’t been dealt with yet, but I’d be very surprised if you’re missed as registered patients.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

I have thought for a while that CC should have an   " Anonymous Dislike "  option on the Like Thanks HaHa   box

I sometimes think something is a bit bad but do not comment in case it  is mis-interpreted and  takes off

over the purpose of the original posting.   IF others also dislike  then when  it reaches doubledigit dislike

a mod might spot that and take the post down or issue a warning.

If my post got a few dislikes I would certainly start to think more how what I have said would impact on

others in the future. Self moderation is what is required.

Good idea.

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Frank received his letter,and I will quote from it for you.

'' If there is another reason you can't book an appointment at one of these locations, you can choose to wait until your local GP srevices contact you if they haven't already. If you would rather wait to do that, you don't need to do anything now - just wait for your GP services to contact you.''

I hope this is a little help to you. 

Avril

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Personally, I'm having a debate, not an argument, that why I avoid making it personal.  

However, I'm pulling out  the debate here, as the people around us are growing tired of it.

You are a nice poster imo.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You must have  lots of posters on your ignored list Harry!!!!

I ignore nobody, John. I like to hear all sides of an argument, which is why I subscribe to the Telegraph for balance.

Beano and Dandy I find less authoritative since my days reading them in the barbers!  😊

• Like 2

Yes, thanks again, Avril.  We have had that letter, and would be prepared to sit tight of course, until contacted.  It is simply that, as I said above, the GP is uncontactable, which bothers me somewhat.  I could drive down, or write - not ideal!  They do not have an email address.  I am sure it will get sorted out, and when it does I will report back.  It is an unusual situation, in that they have lost many staff - it is a practice run by I believe a commercial outfit, so the Doctors are not partners .  They struggle to get staff, and are relying on locums at present.   I was really just asking if it would be a legal obligation on them to offer help, even if later rather than sooner.

2 hours ago, kalos said:

I would rather hear what you will tell your family what this covid has taught you . 

10 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

To never take life for granted nor assume that everything will carry on as usual. Sometimes life will gather up your plans, hopes and dreams and scatter them to the four winds, and there's sod all you can do about it. What's important is how you handle it. You have to accept it, work through it, deal with it to your own satisfaction and ultimately learn from it. 

Avril

Fully agree Avril . Life with or without covid we have to learn from it and adapt to it.

We tell our grandkids that this hardship is nothing new and how their great grandparents would have been just as scared going through a war and a flu epidemic without the medical technology that we have today. We as the older generation now understand why our parents used to say "Cleanliness is next to Godliness " and woe betide anyone who tried to sit at the dinner table without a wash, same went for bedtime. That's what helped them survive .

Moving onto our generation, the Mrs when out shopping in the supermarkets, she would never buy to eat those breads and salads on open display .Now -No chance if they are available I know it will never be happening , thanks but no thanks .

Given the chance to be out and about with family and friends , grasp it and grasp it with both hands, go for it ,.Some other time could very well turn out to be like this time , where you cannot , so live for today as some have found out their tomorrow's will never come , bless them .:classic_smile:

• Like 3