New vaccine

hollyjess

17 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Our local police have warned people of this (and probably other) email scams which are headed as e referrals based on genetics and medical history but then give the 2nd appointment 3 or 4 weeks after the first.I haven't received one but have seen one and they do look convincing

Apparently on at least one of these scams, once people have given their personal details, they are asked for bank / credit card details. Letters through the post are the only form of official communication regarding the vaccine. Beware anything else. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Apparently on at least one of these scams, once people have given their personal details, they are asked for bank / credit card details. Letters through the post are the only form of official communication regarding the vaccine. Beware anything else. 

They are also using email and text messaging for some invitations. Especially from GP surgeries. I think the hub invitations are by letter though. 

Just now, cruisenewbie1976 said:

They are also using email and text messaging for some invitations. Especially from GP surgeries. I think the hub invitations are by letter though. 

My MIL got a phone call Friday evening for an appointment 10:00 next morning which wasn't a problem as I took her, she got the letter 3 days later, the particular hospital had only just started giving the vaccine so were probably still trying to get organised.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

My MIL got a phone call Friday evening for an appointment 10:00 next morning which wasn't a problem as I took her, she got the letter 3 days later, the particular hospital had only just started giving the vaccine so were probably still trying to get organised.

Sorry, forgot about phone calls too. From what I've seen, a lot of Dr's are often making calls with only a day or two notice. I'm guessing they only know what vaccine stock they're getting at short notice (or when it turns up). 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Also some of the scams lead you a very plausible fake NHS site. The clue was that they asked for card details! I am worried about this as I have no idea if the local GP hubs all have the same way of contacting you.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Sorry, forgot about phone calls too. From what I've seen, a lot of Dr's are often making calls with only a day or two notice. I'm guessing they only know what vaccine stock they're getting at short notice (or when it turns up). 

I guess this is an example of local knowledge and contacts working better than official national policy and practice. It does blur the lines of the official advice but I presume the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, provided people recognise where texts / calls come from and do not give information scammers are looking for. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I think you are very wrong in that supposition.

Also the full priority list extends to those over 50 and those below who have underlying health conditions. Lots of folks with cars who could turn up quickly if called.

Until Friday, when the GP will begin to administer the vaccine, the closest centre to here is 30 miles away so it would be almost impossible to get there within the hour, even if we wanted to. 

8 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Don't tell Dave!🙀

Never mind me don't tell the cat

I was worrying about how they are organising the GP vaccine hubs locally so did some checking online. Nearest to me 15 mins walk away is a health centre providing vaccine for 9 surgeries who have a total of at least 20 doctors. My surgery/hub is up to 1.5 hours walk away or a bus ride and a walk😠. It is only vaccinating for 6 surgeries and I wondered why. I checked the surgery sites and there are a total of 22 doctors involved. It turns out the 'host' practice has 14 doctors employed and the other 5 have 8 doctors combined. I knew it was a large practice but 14 doctors.😱 At least they are vaccinating as reported by friends of friends. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kalos said:

Looking at the calculator and I have moved from late March to early February but I will not take that to be written in stone .They will send for me when they are ready .

Put the calculator here if anyone needs it :classic_smile:  ........

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk

Nadhim Zahawi has just said on the news that the vaccine uptake is about 85% at the moment which is fantastic but pushes back the calculator dates slightly. Still very promising though 🤞

• Like 3

Good Morning Everyone

I had not intended to post this week because my previous posts all looked so whingey and grizzling but I've been following you all and am a bit  upset by some of the content, namely:

1) Giving vaccines to buddies: please be assured that in my hub at least this does not happen. I go armed with a list of patients who I have spoken to previously and who could get to the hub with very short notice. Bear in mind that some of these lovely people have to rely on a lift from family/friends/neighbours and it's not always possible. If, and only if, there are any left, and we have exhausted all means of getting people in, we have given the vaccine to the volunteers who are on-site. They are at huge risk as are often in contact with between 400 and 900 potential carriers every day so I think that's justified. Anything rather than waste a single shot. No cats yet Phil! I do however feel embarrassed and ashamed if this "buddy" system is going on in some areas. Sorry on their behalf if it's been at the expense of any patients who should have been given those vaccines.

2) Scammers: We've heard about this and it's despicable. My surgery, and all others in my hub, are either telephoning or texting patients. If in doubt about a contact, please phone your surgery to check it out and report it. Never ever give card details. It sounds obvious but I can see how people can be taken in by a plausible caller. I believe the mass vaccine sites are contacting people by letter but even then, they already have all your information and card details will never be requested. You guys on here are all very savvy and probably wouldn't be taken in but do warn all your less- able friends and neighbours. 

Finally, some good news from me - at last, you're all saying. This week, having received a delivery of the AZ, we are visiting the housebound from all eight practices to give the vaccine. We are telephoning in advance so they are expecting us and are very happy to finally be able to reach these patients. Sometimes, tea is offered, and that's a welcome relief from a cold tent!

I'm really heartened to read that so many of you have received, or have a date, for your vaccine. Good luck and be prepared for the sore arm! 

Be well, be safe, and best wishes. Jane.x

• Like 22

2 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Everyone

I had not intended to post this week because my previous posts all looked so whingey and grizzling but I've been following you all and am a bit  upset by some of the content, namely:

1) Giving vaccines to buddies: please be assured that in my hub at least this does not happen. I go armed with a list of patients who I have spoken to previously and who could get to the hub with very short notice. Bear in mind that some of these lovely people have to rely on a lift from family/friends/neighbours and it's not always possible. If, and only if, there are any left, and we have exhausted all means of getting people in, we have given the vaccine to the volunteers who are on-site. They are at huge risk as are often in contact with between 400 and 900 potential carriers every day so I think that's justified. Anything rather than waste a single shot. No cats yet Phil! I do however feel embarrassed and ashamed if this "buddy" system is going on in some areas. Sorry on their behalf if it's been at the expense of any patients who should have been given those vaccines.

2) Scammers: We've heard about this and it's despicable. My surgery, and all others in my hub, are either telephoning or texting patients. If in doubt about a contact, please phone your surgery to check it out and report it. Never ever give card details. It sounds obvious but I can see how people can be taken in by a plausible caller. I believe the mass vaccine sites are contacting people by letter but even then, they already have all your information and card details will never be requested. You guys on here are all very savvy and probably wouldn't be taken in but do warn all your less- able friends and neighbours. 

Finally, some good news from me - at last, you're all saying. This week, having received a delivery of the AZ, we are visiting the housebound from all eight practices to give the vaccine. We are telephoning in advance so they are expecting us and are very happy to finally be able to reach these patients. Sometimes, tea is offered, and that's a welcome relief from a cold tent!

I'm really heartened to read that so many of you have received, or have a date, for your vaccine. Good luck and be prepared for the sore arm! 

Nothing remotely whingey about your previous posts, Jane. 

Please continue to keep us all updated with your useful and helpful posts.

Harry

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Everyone

I always enjoy reading your excellent posts Jane.  

It sounds like you work for a very well organised surgery.

Look after yourself.......

• Like 6

I have decided that the way that some of the posts are going I am no longer comfortable to continue so I will say goodbye.  Thank you to everyone who has shown support to me and others.  I hope that you and your families all stay well and get to enjoy cruising in the near future.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I have decided that the way that some of the posts are going I am no longer comfortable to continue so I will say goodbye.  Thank you to everyone who has shown support to me and others.  I hope that you and your families all stay well and get to enjoy cruising in the near future.  

What ???  A few hours ago you were buzzing with your family's good news .What is so bad to make you feel like this ? Hope your alright -take care .:classic_smile: 

• Like 10

7 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Hi Josy...

Not sure what has happened as you were so excited yesterday and everyone was thrilled for you with so many posting their pleasure in your good news.

Hope you are ok but maybe just don’t read certain threads....?

Take care. X

• Like 5

9 hours ago, pete14 said:

A neighbour of ours had a similar email where they filled in their personal details and on the 2nd page asked for payment details which obviously made them know it was a scam, (they should have known from the first page!!). Like everyone should they reported the email to the .gov site Phishing: how to report to the NCSC - NCSC.GOV.UK

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Everyone

1) Giving vaccines to buddies: please be assured that in my hub at least this does not happen.

Morning Jane, please do not get upset, it is a news paper article that the NHS said they are investigating from the Manchester area . Nothing to say their guilty and people were reacting like it was a National scandal. Everyone who posted is in agreement not a single drop should be wasted , so if the Hozzie cat strolls on by please feel free :classic_wink: 

I think I speak for everyone on here " You and all your staff , not just at your hospital are doing an amazing job and we love what your doing to keep us all safe .

Thank You  Keep safe ,for all our sakes .:classic_smile:

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Everyone

I find your posts really helpful and great to hear something from 'source'

• Like 7