New vaccine

hollyjess

4 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I have decided that the way that some of the posts are going I am no longer comfortable to continue so I will say goodbye.  Thank you to everyone who has shown support to me and others.  I hope that you and your families all stay well and get to enjoy cruising in the near future.  

I'm sorry you feel uncomfortable posting now, and I and one or two others can understand and sympathise as we have been in that same situation. Everyone is trying to keep going in these stressful times and can feel the need to vent at the smallest thing to help release the pressure, and I don't think that anything was meant to be taken personally. 

You and I have had some lovely posts and laughs together in the past and I hope you'll reconsider posting again when you feel you can. I shall miss you. Please take care Josy xx

Avril

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

The French Valneva vaccine (which is being produced here in Scotland) is an old fashioned style inactivated virus vaccine and from what I have read may be better for the most vulnerable or those who are immunosuppressed.

Unfortunately  it will not be available until later this year but if this becomes a rolling vaccine programme then it is perhaps an option. 

Thanks. Sounds interesting. Is it a single malt?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

I’m immunosuppressed too and have already had my first AZ jab (NHS staff before anyone starts 🙄).

I did have some side effects which tells me that it is stimulating an immune response. It might not be the full response but it’s better than nothing.

It’s very disappointing and upsetting  to read some of the posts from last night. We’re trying our best to get you all jabbed as quickly as we can and it may be moving quicker in some areas than others but your turn will come.

We’ve vaccinated just over 75% of our staff and of the other 25% the majority of those can’t have the vaccine yet because they’ve either got COVID-19 or recovering from it. So next time some armchair critic wants to say that the NHS should be doing more just take a second to think about what we are having to deal with and, with respect, wind your neck in!

I am really grateful for all the medical profession is doing in the fight against covid. I've got some friends who are doctors (including a GP who is trying to manage vaccines when often they don't know until a couple of days before of arrival) and a nephew who is a paramedic.It is encouraging to hear that you have had the jab.I don't mind some side effects if I am protected

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I think that's right - and the advice I had was to get whatever was offered, on the basis that there is only upside, no downside, to doing so.

This is perhaps of interest, and I understand that trials are well underway to find something that can be 'guaranteed' to be effective for those of us in this position:

Use in patients taking immunosuppressive medicines

Public Health England’s Immunisation Against Infectious Disease (The Green book) states that immunosuppressed patients, due to disease or treatment are clinically extremely vulnerable and should be vaccinated against COVID-19. According to both the Patient Group Direction for COVID-19 mRNA vaccine BNT162b2 (Pfizer/BioNTech) and the Patient Group Direction for COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca, (ChAdOx1-S [recombinant]) there are no groups of potentially immunosuppressed patients that should be excluded from receiving the vaccine based on their treatment or disease alone. It is, however, noted that some immunosuppressed patients may have a suboptimal response to the vaccine and should therefore continue to avoid exposure unless they are advised otherwise by their doctor.

Taken from:  

https://www.sps.nhs.uk/articles/using-covid-19-vaccines-in-patient-taking-immunosuppressive-medicines/

Thank you.Interesting to read

16 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

I’m immunosuppressed too and have already had my first AZ jab (NHS staff before anyone starts 🙄).

I did have some side effects which tells me that it is stimulating an immune response. It might not be the full response but it’s better than nothing.

It’s very disappointing and upsetting  to read some of the posts from last night. We’re trying our best to get you all jabbed as quickly as we can and it may be moving quicker in some areas than others but your turn will come.

We’ve vaccinated just over 75% of our staff and of the other 25% the majority of those can’t have the vaccine yet because they’ve either got COVID-19 or recovering from it. So next time some armchair critic wants to say that the NHS should be doing more just take a second to think about what we are having to deal with and, with respect, wind your neck in!

I think it is universally acknowledged that the people organising and delivering the vaccines are giving it their all.

indeed, one of my friends who works within a GP’s surgery was so busy, she was working all hours - she ended up having about 2 hours sleep within a 36 hour period 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, AnnieC said:

And I bring news from Middlesbrough about the vaccine - my brother (70) and his wife (64, no medical conditions) have just received their call-up papers for the jab this afternoon. Their GP is operating a system whereby partners/husbands and wives have the jab at the same time as their other halves, regardless of age. Anyone heard of other areas doing this?

That sounds really sensible actually and I’m sure such a system would be well received here as long distances are involved. Also good to hear about the early 60s being called up. 

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I think it is universally acknowledged that the people organising and delivering the vaccines are giving it their all.

indeed, one of my friends who works within a GP’s surgery was so busy, she was working all hours - she ended up having about 2 hours sleep within a 36 hour period 

Yes. I don’t think anyone, here or elsewhere, is having a go at the NHS staff, all doing their very best in very difficult circumstances.

Any criticisms have been directed elsewhere.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Please keep up the good work as I said in a post to Jane .... 

You and all your staff , not just at your hospital are doing an amazing job and we love what your doing to keep us all safe .

Thank You  Keep safe ,for all our sakes .:classic_smile:

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Beckett said:

My quote button's not working - I keep getting hearts and emojis.  Anyway, this is for Avril.  Thanks so much Avril - you are a sweetheart and I hope you and your Frank get your vaccines soonest.  Best wishes. Jane.x

2 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I think I've got your quote button, Jane - seem to have 2 quotes up and can't get rid of one of them. Anyway, just to say we're all on our way to Potters Bar if we don't get our jabs😄

I greatly enjoy your posts as well - good to hear from the sharp end, though rather you to me!

• Like 1

Slightly worrying news item today reporting that the EU is implementing a "notification scheme" for any manufacturer who is exporting vaccine out of the EU. This primarily would affect the Pfizer vaccine as the majority if not all is made in Belgium.

The report seems to suggest that this is a response to the fact that Astra Zenica have rolled back on the supply quantities promised of their vaccine within the EU due to manufacturing difficulties. This will leave short of supplies to treat their citizens.

The head of the vaccine supply group in the UK has insisted that there should be no problem as we have sufficient stocks of the Pfizer jab to meet the 15million target. However it does raise a slight concern about the security of supplies for the follow-up jab for all those on the 12 week regime of the Pfizer product. It was stated that we have no worries because virtually all of the AZ product in manufactured here in the UK. But that may be no consellation if the Pfizer jab becomes scarce and the follow-up jabs are put in jeopardy.

Sorry to raise another red flag but it is my glass half empty persona ruling at the moment

Edited by arlowood

6 minutes ago, arlowood said:

it is my glass half empty persona ruling at the moment

To put a glass half full point of view, even if the second dose is not administered, those who have had the first injection will still be 90% protected.  OK, not perfect, but the second dose only gives a slightly greater degree of protection,  so by no means the end of the world. 

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Yes. I don’t think anyone, here or elsewhere, is having a go at the NHS staff, all doing their very best in very difficult circumstances.

Any criticisms have been directed elsewhere.

Some posters have nothing but praise for everyone involved and do not criticise anyone in this . Superb, superhuman effort From all. Thanks for your dedication.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

To put a glass half full point of view, even if the second dose is not administered, those who have had the first injection will still be 90% protected.  OK, not perfect, but the second dose only gives a slightly greater degree of protection,  so by no means the end of the world. 

Thank you for those positive words Wowzz  . As you say we are not at the end of the world yet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Thank you Wowzz - you have just dispelled the half empty gremlin. In his presence I had forgotten the efficacy stats on the Pfizer jab. I'll take the 90% effectiveness all day long.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The 90% protection was the basis considered for spreading the dose to 12 weeks, bear in mind this is the first version of the vaccine too, there will be some great minds working on improvement, we may have only got a toehold at the moment, but I believe better things will come.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Just face-timed with my friend (85) and she has an appointment for her jab on Saturday. She has to go to Sheffield, but her son is taking her as he is in her 'bubble'. I'm so relieved and happy for her.

Avril

That's good news Avril.

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Just face-timed with my friend (85) and she has an appointment for her jab on Saturday. She has to go to Sheffield, but her son is taking her as he is in her 'bubble'. I'm so relieved and happy for her.

Avril

That’s good news, my mum had hers twice weeks ago & my mother in law & father in law this week. All good news, hope everyone who are most vulnerable get their jab soon

Michelle

• Like 5

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Saw this on another thread😂🤓

Screenshot_20210126_164030_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

Heard this morning via LA that 5 more GP Practices are coming in stream this week, including our practice which is good news, this will add to the Pharmacy hub and 2 other large practices, the large National hub and 2 smaller ones which have or are coming on stream. Hopefully this means the backlog of over 80s can be dealt with and progress made on the over 70s, vaccine supplies permitting. Next group is over 65s no dates yet, but hopefully will be soon. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

OK, to put it another way. You're in charge of a vaccine hub. You close at 8pm, it's now 7pm and you have been told you've got 20 spare vaccines to be used up before 8pm. Do you start ringing around patients on the priority list to see if they can come in, knowing that if you have no luck and run out of time, those vaccines are going in the bin? Or do you use the list of people that know they're on a friends and family list that have been primed for a last minute call up to the vaccine centre? Like I said, I'd rather the vaccines go to the most vulnerable first. But I'd rather they go to anyone than no one. 

So in some way they must have collated that list which is not without a little effort to have "primed" their mates/family.

What is wrong with sending texts to some of their patients who are a reasonable way up their priority list asking if they would be able and willing to get to the vaccination hub at very short notice (could specify a time - perhaps 15 mins or half an hour notice, or even less).  Anyone who is interesting could then reply by text, send an email, or ring their surgery asking to be put on that short term contact list.  From information I have gleaned this afternoon, our area is still well into the over 80's list and even many of those round here run a car and are well able to get out a short notice.  Then there are the 70 - 80 band, where the vast majority would be able and willing to partake in such a list.

I agree vaccine should not be wasted, but if short contact lists are to be compiled there is no reason whatsoever that it could not be offered to the priority groups.

Regards priority groups though, I do think that the genuinely front line health service staff should be given their second jabs within a reasonable period of time and not wait for 12 weeks.  They have been very badly treated though this, with the work expected and also the lack of suitable PPE, certainly in the summer, hence they should have the best treatment available now. 

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

We're fortunate enough to have an excellent GP practice, and I wouldn't fault one single aspect of the care we've been lucky enough to receive from them over the last 35 years.

They have this linked from their website - doubtless other practices have the same.  Might be worth a look if you're wondering where you stand.

image.thumb.png.f0897ed951b71cf8f8a922ab6b26e500.png

• Like 3