New vaccine

hollyjess

It certainly varies around the country, and probably particularly for the housebound.  Here,  in Newark, none of our GPs housebound patients have been vaccinated yet, which obviously includes some very old people, including over 90s, as well as no doubt younger disabled ones.  We are still waiting, and have been told it will happen, but no idea when.  In the meantime, we keep getting letters from NHS England telling us to have it done!

9 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

My father has signed up for a vaccine this Friday. I hopes that he will be among the first to avoid any of the possible restrictions being applied in the future cruising requirements 

The restrictions will apply to everyone, whether vaccinated or not. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

My father has signed up for a vaccine this Friday. I hopes that he will be among the first to avoid any of the possible restrictions being applied in the future cruising requirements 

Wowzz your appointments ready :classic_wink::classic_unsure:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Reasons to be cheerful today:

1) The NHS is storming the vaccine roll-out. 

2) Hugh Bonneville (Lord Grantham in Downton Abbey and Mr Brown in Paddington) is volunteering as a Marshal at a vaccine hub - take that man a marmalade sandwich!

3) It’s Yorkshire Phil's birthday today. Happy Birthday Phil! ( see, those hints did pay off). 

Have a good day everyone.

Best wishes.

Jane.x

Hugh Bonnaville is volunteering where I will hopefully be called to get the jab......Bet he won’t be on duty that day!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I'm in the 65 to 70 age group and haven't heard a thing so far!

Other than an advance warning message from GP Practice over a week ago no movement here either, yet 18 miles away my sister who was 65 in January gets her jab today, same county different CCG. 

• Like 1

If it’s any consolation to the as yet unvaccinated, we got text notification that appointments were available to book at lunchtime on a Thursday and went online and booked for teatime Saturday!  There’s not a lot of lag time. It may not be the same everywhere, of course, but it feels like when things start moving, they move quickly.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Other than an advance warning message from GP Practice over a week ago no movement here either, yet 18 miles away my sister who was 65 in January gets her jab today, same county different CCG. 

I have seen nothing in Lancashire either  DW is in that group - her brother

2 years younger had his invite over a week ago - London!

11 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I watched JVT yesterday and I agree with people here- he seems the best one. He was very encouraging about how few cases there were of the South African variant here and then I see online news articles with all doom and gloom! 
I sometimes think they they don’t watch the same briefing as me!

Sometimes a reporter asks the same question as the one a bit earlier. What a waste if time.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I had an old statistics teacher who often said if you include enough variants you're bound to come up with an answer that suits at least 1 person in a 1000.  That seems to be the trouble with the SAGE committee, there are just too many varying inputs.

Similar to monkeys and typewriter theory. When I was a student my favourite book on statistics was " facts from figures " by Murdock. That taught me that statistics don't lie. Just the charlatans that use them.

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Great to hear that it’s still going well Jane. Out of interest, I know that many vaccination centres have started on the group 5 cohort (65-70) but do you know if there has been any central directive as to when group 6 can commence? I am wondering if it will be after group 5 is almost complete, or in tandem with it, as has been done with groups 1 to 4? Keep up the great work!

I would like to learn that answer. DW is 64 and in group 7. Next week is her birthday. Will she move up to group 5 or stay in 7. When you ask the GP, don't know nothing to do with us.🤔

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I'm in the 65 to 70 age group and haven't heard a thing so far!

Hi we too are in that group and both have underlying health issues ongoing cancer diagnosis’s and stents in arteries we have contacted our surgery but have been told to wait it’s a bit disheartening when you can see others in our group getting appointments wish the surgery  would just tell you that they are behind with the vaccines or they don’t have enough.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

I think my best “celeb” wish would be for JVT to be on jab duty, though I’d be happy with Hugh Bonneville too.

Another shout out for non-celeb volunteers.  The car park, pelican crossing and queue marshals at our local centre must be perished these last few days, yet they continue smiling behind their masks and manage a Good Morning as we pass

To be honest, If I was making up my wish list, JVT would be pretty low down it. Various actresses towards the top.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mrbluesea said:

I did my marshals role a couple of weeks back, and yes I was frozen standing in the car park directing cars but my cruising experiences did remind me that the first point of contact to any experience is so important at putting people at their ease. It did make me think of all those staff standing on a dock in all sorts of weather welcoming you back.

I guess you learnt from your experience in boarding. As the nervous jabees got out of their cars, there was you with your tray. " Would you like Orange juice, or Champagne Sir/modom.🤣

• Haha 1

I have checked with the Novavax trial and I have had the actual vaccine so I don't need to take up the offer that I got yesterday.  I rang the doctor to explain and they let me  book David's appointment  for Saturday morning even though his letter has not arrived yet.

It was a palaver getting unblinded from the trial, the person I spoke to was very unhelpful, saying that I should wait until my next appointment before getting unblinded, that was not a problem per se because my appointment is actually tomorrow but I didn't think that they should be trying to block people from unblinding.

• Like 7

On 2/9/2021 at 8:28 AM, davecttr said:

Then you have the confusing reporting from the media including the BBC. What is the difference between "70 and over" and "over 70"? They are the same you say, well they are not to a significant %age of the population who would think "over 70" means anyone at least 71 years of age. If the experts say "70 and over the media" should use this term, EVERY TIME

The way I see it is the difference is minute; 70 and over means people who are 70 years of age or more. Over 70 means people who are 70 years of age or more but excludes people whose seventieth birthday is today.  This latter group needs to wait 24 hours to qualify.

Regards John

27 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I guess you learnt from your experience in boarding. As the nervous jabees got out of their cars, there was you with your tray. " Would you like Orange juice, or Champagne Sir/modom.🤣

I was going to go for the cuddly animal and photo opportunity, but thought better of it.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi we too are in that group and both have underlying health issues ongoing cancer diagnosis’s and stents in arteries we have contacted our surgery but have been told to wait it’s a bit disheartening when you can see others in our group getting appointments wish the surgery  would just tell you that they are behind with the vaccines or they don’t have enough.

Please ring 119 the test & trace service and they will sort you out ,we found them very helpful.

Handy to have your NHS number handy .:classic_smile:

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Thanks have just tried to ring but-they are very busy so I will try again later 🤞🏻

15 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

I’m prepared to go anywhere (almost) to be vaccinated 😀

As windsurf has said the system will say they are busy but hang in there they will answer 

as in our case about 12 mins wait .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Hugh Bonnaville is volunteering where I will hopefully be called to get the jab......Bet he won’t be on duty that day!

I'll keep my fingers crossed that he is there for you, I saw him on the news and he seemed really friendly with the people that he was marshalling.

• Like 1