New vaccine

hollyjess

3 minutes ago, delgirl said:

got a/zenicored this morning. Now waiting to see if I will have any reaction. I hope not as I have a dental appointment in the morning. Have a feeling it will be sods law and I will be poleaxed.

Hopefully you don't have a reaction.

6 minutes ago, delgirl said:

got a/zenicored this morning. Now waiting to see if I will have any reaction. I hope not as I have a dental appointment in the morning. Have a feeling it will be sods law and I will be poleaxed.

Great news you got the jab and fingers crossed no side effects and also that the dental visit is painless!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Esprit said:

The last medication I took (reluctantly) was Aciclovir for Shingles but didn't feel I really needed it and certainly didn't reduce the itchiness. 

Certainly not the thing to pass up on.  DH had shingles which progressed to the edge of his eye when we were in Cuba a few years ago and a lot of the more modern medications are not available there.  We were able to get the eye cream, though at it's worst we had to have the the hotel nurse come every few hours to put it in his eye to prevent him going blind, (even in middle of the night as it  had got to the stage I could not open his eye enough to do that).  We had been to to a well equipped private hospital eye clinic in Havana, but still tablets not given.  It also spread over his scalp and he had to put cream on that, which was a mess as was all over his hair.

Too late for a course of the tablets to be of use when we came home, though GP did prescibe some just in case they may have helped a bit - doubt it did by then as a couple of weeks on.  End point was he was still getting quite severe head pains at times for the following year or so and he often jerks in his sleep even now, several years later.  He was told those after pains would not have happened if he had had the course of tablets when he first contracted the shingles.  We were about 66/7 at the time, so not had the shingles jabs.

The severity of the disease should have been reduced if we had been at home and he had been prescribed the tablets, but the after effects were very bad as well. 

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

I’ve just heard the most bizarre and awful thing from a friend.

Today her husband went for his jab. He went into the vaccine hub, and was registered and given his little card, which was pre-filled with the vaccine details. Then he was shown to a waiting area, where he waited for an hour. Then someone came over to him, and said he could go now. He said he hadn’t had his jab yet, but they were adamant that he had. Three nurses got involved and a doctor, who even suggested that my friends husband had had a funny turn and had forgotten that he’d had it. It looks as if he was mistakenly told to wait in a post jab waiting area. Now, his records say he’s been jabbed, the doctors and nurses say he’s been jabbed and therefore refuse to actually jab him because they say they can’t give him 2 jabs, ( even though he hasn’t had a jab).

So now they feel totally lost, as there’s no way he can get his first jab! 

my friend said her husband was going to phone his GP and see if anything can be done 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Today her husband went for his jab. He went into the vaccine hub, and was registered and given his little card, which was pre-filled with the vaccine details. Then he was shown to a waiting area, where he waited for an hour. Then someone came over to him, and said he could go now. He said he hadn’t had his jab yet, but they were adamant that he had. Three nurses got involved and a doctor, who even suggested that my friends husband had had a funny turn and had forgotten that he’d had it. It looks as if he was mistakenly told to wait in a post jab waiting area. Now, his records say he’s been jabbed, the doctors and nurses say he’s been jabbed and therefore refuse to actually jab him because they say they can’t give him 2 jabs, ( even though he hasn’t had a jab).

my friend said her husband was going to phone his GP and see if anything can be done 

That’s a very bizarre thing to have happened....... please let us know what the outcome is.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

That’s not good, obviously.  I’m sure the GP will be able to resolve the situation, but is there any CCTV footage that could be retained perhaps that might show his movements within the hub?

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s not good, obviously.  I’m sure the GP will be able to resolve the situation, but is there any CCTV footage that could be retained perhaps that might show his movements within the hub?

That’s a good point Harry.  
I’ll pass that on to her 

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

That's very worrying!

A similar thing happened to my daughter with a cyclosporin infusion years ago - the nurse had ticked the box saying she'd had it, she hadn't, they believed the nurse and refused to give it to her. No real harm done in that case, though, unlike in your friend's husband's. 

I hope he gets his jab tomorrow. Question for those who've had it done: does it leave a mark? If so, lack of that may be sufficient evidence.

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

That's very worrying!

A similar thing happened to my daughter with a cyclosporin infusion years ago - the nurse had ticked the box saying she'd had it, she hadn't, they believed the nurse and refused to give it to her. No real harm done in that case, though, unlike in your friend's husband's. 

I hope he gets his jab tomorrow. Question for those who've had it done: does it leave a mark? If so, lack of that may be sufficient evidence.

Sometimes there is a mark, which doesn't usually come out straight away.

• Like 1

There should be a data trail, although it may depend on place

the jab was given.  Mine was a small pharmacy run one so

only 9 cubicles   looked like 6 in use. Card was pre filled.

Jabber checked  on a pc  it was me by a date of birth enquiry which  brought up the  detail on the card  which he matched.

I dont know if he made an entry but the  enquire would show somewhere.

It was very efficient and you couldnt get to the out area from the reception area without having been in a cubicle.

Of course in such a situation you just do as your told and assume

it is correct.    Glad it didnt happen to me.!

EDIT  - no mark , no plaster , no mark on shirt later

Muscle ached a bit  and quite a bit more when I ended up sleeping on it that night.  LOL

Edited by Aulanis
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

That sounds alarming, even if they are pre-filling the cards, the computer record should not be updated until the needle is in the arm. Too much risk of this type of mistake if things are pre-set.

When DH had his first jab, the only thing on his card before he got to sit down in the cubicle was his name and NHS number, the date and batch number was filled in when he was jabbed, and the computer was updated with the details and actual time of the jab before he left the cubicle (there was somebody sitting in the middle of the exit with another laptop, checking 15 minutes had elapsed before he was allowed to go).

Very labour intensive, but extremely efficient.

Please let us know how they get on with the GP.

• Like 2

Well the vaccine programme up here is slowing down again but they were aware it was going to happen. Supplies will be lower for the next 2 weeks, apparently for the whole of the U.K. for the Pfizer-BioNTech jag.

They are also looking at timings as the uptake for the vaccine has been much more than expected. The groups completed to date have been in the high 90s (98 - 99% attendance) and the planning was based on 70%. The next groups are on track to be the same with very, very few refusals.

It makes sense that those who are most vulnerable would take up the offer and I suspect the levels will remain high even in the younger groups. It’s good news for getting herd immunity but bad news for how long it will all take unless there are more supplies available.

4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Well the vaccine programme up here is slowing down again but they were aware it was going to happen. Supplies will be lower for the next 2 weeks, apparently for the whole of the U.K. for the Pfizer-BioNTech jag.

They are also looking at timings as the uptake for the vaccine has been much more than expected. The groups completed to date have been in the high 90s (98 - 99% attendance) and the planning was based on 70%. The next groups are on track to be the same with very, very few refusals.

It makes sense that those who are most vulnerable would take up the offer and I suspect the levels will remain high even in the younger groups. It’s good news for getting herd immunity but bad news for how long it will all take unless there are more supplies available.

Thanks for the heads up on this Eglesbrech. I wasn't aware of the lowering of supplies across the UK until you mentioned it. Just had a message from the hub WhatsApp group to say "Urgent meeting at 11 am. Supplies disrupted. Be prepared to contact patients". And it was all going so well! Thanks again. Jane.x

• Like 4

On 2/10/2021 at 5:13 PM, zap99 said:

Jane. Thanks ever so much for taking the time to try and answer my query. Very helpful and kind of you. Good luck and thanks again😁

Good Morning Zap, and Ann who also wanted to know: The grouping automatically changes when a birthday occurs that changes a patient into another group. It can however take up to 24 hours to show on systems depending on what time the update runs. It usually takes place at 2am every 24 hours but rest assured your loved ones will be placed into the correct group. Hope this helps. Have a good day and best wishes. Jane.x

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Zap, and Ann who also wanted to know: The grouping automatically changes when a birthday occurs that changes a patient into another group. It can however take up to 24 hours to show on systems depending on what time the update runs. It usually takes place at 2am every 24 hours but rest assured your loved ones will be placed into the correct group. Hope this helps. Have a good day and best wishes. Jane.x

Jane. Thanks so much , that's great news, much obliged to you.

John

42 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Jane, thanks for that. I turn 65 on Feb 26 so will move up a group.

As I outlined on another thread, my ‘choice’ is complicated by being in the Vaccine trials which I want to continue being in. My current thinking is to delay my NHS jab until the extension of the trial is confirmed and most likely continue the trial which will ensure I have received / will receive the vaccine (with 3 weeks between the 2 jabs). I can’t do both.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, delgirl said:

When I had my jab today they gave me the card when I was being registered before the injection. After they put some cotton wool over and a plaster like they do when you have a blood test

I had no plaster on my arm.  But the card I was given from the attendant at the door.  I gave the card and the A4 sheet with my name on it to the doc who did the jab.

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Thanks for the heads up on this Eglesbrech. I wasn't aware of the lowering of supplies across the UK until you mentioned it. Just had a message from the hub WhatsApp group to say "Urgent meeting at 11 am. Supplies disrupted. Be prepared to contact patients". And it was all going so well! Thanks again. Jane.x

Thanks for the update, Jane.  If you’re in a position to post further on that in due course  I’m sure we’d all be very grateful.

Harry

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 3