New vaccine

hollyjess

12 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

Just read on the BBCs newspaper headlines   ( that to me sounds odd)

that,  the purveyor of indisputable facts   The Sun !!   has a headline

that over 65s will be getting their invite letters  from next Monday.

Hurrah!!

I had a text about 20 minutes ago (in the 65+ group) asking me to ring the surgery. Needless to say, the phone lines are overwhelmed and unable to get through, with no option of using a website or any other alternative.

My wife received a text from our GP surgery yesterday which we hoped was about booking her jab, but said that they needed to collect ethnicity data in regards to vaccinations. As there was a link to report your ethnicity I suspected a scam, so suggested that she called the surgery to check. Turned out it was genuine and she was duly recorded as ‘white British’. Knowing how busy they are my wife didn’t ask any further questions, but it makes me wonder if, within each grouping, they might be prioritising BAME groups first due to the added risk that the virus presents to them and the currently high refusal rates in those communities. Obviously that’s just me surmising. We have an extremely low percentage of BAME people where we live, so I’m wondering if this is happening elsewhere?

Just now, Selbourne said:

My wife received a text from our GP surgery yesterday which we hoped was about booking her jab, but said that they needed to collect ethnicity data in regards to vaccinations. As there was a link to report your ethnicity I suspected a scam, so suggested that she called the surgery to check. Turned out it was genuine and she was duly recorded as ‘white British’. Knowing how busy they are my wife didn’t ask any further questions, but it makes me wonder if, within each grouping, they might be prioritising BAME groups first due to the added risk that the virus presents to them and the currently high refusal rates in those communities. Obviously that’s just me surmising. We have an extremely low percentage of BAME people where we live, so I’m wondering if this is happening elsewhere?

In short no, that is not happening.

25 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

Hurrah!!

I fall into this category and have got my vaccination next Wednesday. Local radio announced that people over 65 could apply from yesterday.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I had no plaster on my arm.  But the card I was given from the attendant at the door.  I gave the card and the A4 sheet with my name on it to the doc who did the jab.

We were both given little cards with our names and details of the 1st jab, and space for the 2nd one's details, to keep and were requested to bring them with us when we went for our 2nd jab.

6 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

In short no, that is not happening.

Interesting that you have not been asked for that info where you are, but it is clear from this thread that whilst everywhere is working through the 9 groups in order, different areas, and even different surgeries within areas, are adopting different approaches within each group. It may, of course, purely be for data gathering purposes and have no bearing on the prioritisation within each group, but none of us can say either way for certain. I just hadn’t heard anyone mention previously that they had been contacted regarding ethnicity information and given the concerns that are being raised about low take up in BAME communities I was wondering if some areas are trying to address that. 

20 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I wasn't asked about ethnicity - just asked to book a jab. 

25 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Probably just updating records, I was asked when I went for flu jab about 2 years ago. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

Hurrah!!

That was on the banner thing that scrolls across the bottom of the screen on sky news, so it must be true😁

21 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Interesting that you have not been asked for that info where you are, but it is clear from this thread that whilst everywhere is working through the 9 groups in order, different areas, and even different surgeries within areas, are adopting different approaches within each group. It may, of course, purely be for data gathering purposes and have no bearing on the prioritisation within each group, but none of us can say either way for certain. I just hadn’t heard anyone mention previously that they had been contacted regarding ethnicity information and given the concerns that are being raised about low take up in BAME communities I was wondering if some areas are trying to address that. 

Perhaps the reasoning behind asking this is to bring all the bame group in on the same day.

We too are a bit "short" on vaccine this week, at the beginning of the week we thought we would have a enough to go full steam ahead but...... was doing 1200 a day now 250 per day.

65+ next week now

Ethnicity is  a question that  they have added to the NIVS system recently [I suspect they want to know take up in BAME groups]

We don't give a card until AFTER the jab just to avoid errors.

We put a plaster on the arm

No CCTV cameras in immediate vicinity to observe vaccinators and/or pts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning Zap, and Ann who also wanted to know: The grouping automatically changes when a birthday occurs that changes a patient into another group. It can however take up to 24 hours to show on systems depending on what time the update runs. It usually takes place at 2am every 24 hours but rest assured your loved ones will be placed into the correct group. Hope this helps. Have a good day and best wishes. Jane.x

Thank you Jane.Thats reassuring to know

1 minute ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

We too are a bit "short" on vaccine this week, at the beginning of the week we thought we would have a enough to go full steam ahead but...... was doing 1200 a day now 250 per day.

65+ next week now

Ethnicity is  a question that  they have added to the NIVS system recently [I suspect they want to know take up in BAME groups]

We don't give a card until AFTER the jab just to avoid errors.

We put a plaster on the arm

No CCTV cameras in immediate vicinity to observe vaccinators and/or pts.

Interesting that it's different everywhere.  The reason I remember being given the card by the lady at the desk is that I was then in the queue to go in and the man in front of me said Oh good it's the AZ one, which made me look at my card.  How do they know before you get to the doctor what the Batch Number will be?  Or maybe that gets stamped by the doc.  I can't remember that.

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Interesting that it's different everywhere.  The reason I remember being given the card by the lady at the desk is that I was then in the queue to go in and the man in front of me said Oh good it's the AZ one, which made me look at my card.  How do they know before you get to the doctor what the Batch Number will be?  Or maybe that gets stamped by the doc.  I can't remember that.

I had the pfizer and noticed they didn't put a batch no. on the card,so asked the wife to ask about this when she had the oxford shortly after and they said it doesn't matter.

4 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

The Times has the same article about over 65s starting being vaccinated from next Monday. My husband is 67 and he had his on Tuesday. 

A very good friend of mine is having his today and he is 65. Seems as though a large proportion of places are well into the 65-70 group already and, at the rate that the programme is going, this group could conceivably be completed by the end of next week (its ‘only’ 2.3m people and we are vaccinating 250k to 500k a day), which means that group 6 could start before the end of this month. Obviously the fly in the ointment could be supply of vaccines. Concerning to hear some people reporting problems this morning. Hope that’s just  a short term issue affecting certain areas rather than a national issue. 

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

A very good friend of mine is having his today and he is 65. Seems as though a large proportion of places are well into the 65-70 group already and, at the rate that the programme is going, this group could conceivably be completed by the end of next week (its ‘only’ 2.3m people and we are vaccinating 250k to 500k a day), which means that group 6 could start before the end of this month. Obviously the fly in the ointment could be supply of vaccines. Concerning to hear some people reporting problems this morning. Hope that’s just  a short term issue affecting certain areas rather than a national issue. 

my husband is 69  and has heard nothing. To be honest, I’m finding it slightly disconcerting, as everywhere else seems to be cracking on.

Has anybody in Kent or Medway got any news? 

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

The only reason for running short on supply is because of the massive turn out of people excepting the vaccine,which in the end is great news for all of us.

2 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

my husband is 69  and has heard nothing. To be honest, I’m finding it slightly disconcerting, as everywhere else seems to be cracking on.

Has anybody in Kent or Medway got any news? 

Sorry to hear that, Dermotsgirl - it must be dispiriting to hear about younger 65 pluses getting their call-up papers. Fingers crossed he hears very soon🤞 - the sooner we all get jabbed the sooner they can move onto group 6, the younger group at risk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WECRUISEUK said:

The only reason for running short on supply is because of the massive turn out of people excepting the vaccine,which in the end is great news for all of us.

Overall the vaccination has gone much better than most expected, there have been a few inconsistencies and a few hiccups on the way, and regardless of offered or actual doses given the target looks like being met or very close. Thank you to all those involved in making this happen.

• Like 11