New vaccine

hollyjess

The JCVI have announced the order for the next phase of vaccinations and their justification for adhering to age ranges. The next group once all over 50s have been completed are the 40-49 group, followed by 30-39 and finally 18-29. The vaccines are not currently approved for those under 18.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/26/adults-aged-40-49-will-be-next-in-line-for-covid-vaccine-across-uk

15 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

The JCVI have announced the order for the next phase of vaccinations and their justification for adhering to age ranges. The next group once all over 50s have been completed are the 40-49 group, followed by 30-39 and finally 18-29. The vaccines are not currently approved for those under 18.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/26/adults-aged-40-49-will-be-next-in-line-for-covid-vaccine-across-uk

I’m pleased that they haven’t bowed to populist pressure and prioritised certain key workers over an age based approach. If the aim is to minimise risk of infection then you could make a case for certain key workers, but if the risk is to minimise loss of life then vaccinating by age, rather than what job you do, is the only way. Key workers who are at greater risk of death by being older or with underlying conditions will have been jabbed anyway by the next phase. Also, if you go down a key worker argument, what constitutes one? Teachers often get mentioned, even though mortality amongst teachers has been no higher than anyone else, but you could argue that people like supermarket workers and bus drivers are far more at risk, given that they are constantly coming into close contact with multiple adult members of public. It would cause no end of arguments. So well done JCVI for sticking to their guns and vaccinating by risk of death only.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I’m pleased that they haven’t bowed to populist pressure and prioritised certain key workers over an age based approach. If the aim is to minimise risk of infection then you could make a case for certain key workers, but if the risk is to minimise loss of life then vaccinating by age, rather than what job you do, is the only way. Key workers who are at greater risk of death by being older or with underlying conditions will have been jabbed anyway by the next phase. Also, if you go down a key worker argument, what constitutes one? Teachers often get mentioned, even though mortality amongst teachers has been no higher than anyone else, but you could argue that people like supermarket workers and bus drivers are far more at risk, given that they are constantly coming into close contact with multiple adult members of public. It would cause no end of arguments. So well done JCVI for sticking to their guns and vaccinating by risk of death only.

The other issue was that trying to then determine priorities within key workers would have led to a bureaucratic nightmare, which could have actually delayed the entire vaccination process.

For example,  would a 25 year old policeman be prioritised over a 35 year old shopworker?

I think this is probably the fairest way to ensure that as many people as possible get vaccinated as quickly as possible .

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

The age system seems to be not only the best way of reducing deaths  but, being far easier to administer, it is by far the fastest and easiest to operate; and since the rollout is progressing so well, it seems a little churlish of some trade bodies to still be complaining.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The age system seems to be not only the best way of reducing deaths  but, being far easier to administer, it is by far the fastest and easiest to operate; and since the rollout is progressing so well, it seems a little churlish of some trade bodies to still be complaining.

I might have a little sympathy for the police, as they do come into close contact with members of the public, and their death rate from CV19 is considerably greater than the average. 

The death rate for teachers,  is in line with the rest of the population, and allowing them to have priority would go against the data, which, as we are constantly being told, is what drives government policy. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

But won't they shut the classroom down if the teacher gets it and if enough teachers get it shut the school? I actually do think that the Police and Teachers and Paramedics should be the next ones to get it. for their own safety in their job.

Edited by ace2542

6 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

But won't they shut the classroom down if the teacher gets it and if enough teachers get it shut the school?

In the unlikely event of that happening, it would be an inconvenience. However the vaccination programme is not about minimising inconvenience, it’s about minimising deaths and serious illness, which is why the age based approach is the right approach. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

But won't they shut the classroom down if the teacher gets it and if enough teachers get it shut the school? I actually do think that the Police and Teachers and Paramedics should be the next ones to get it. for their own safety in their job.

What about the safety of the bus drivers, shop workers etc ?

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Angel57 said:

No side effects after Pfizer vaccine yesterday apart from a sore arm this morning. 
I did have a lovely long sleep from 8pm to 5.15am tho......💤💤💤

I'm pleased for you Gill.

My slight arm pain had gone this morning from the Pfizer jab.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

What about the safety of the bus drivers, shop workers etc ?

Agreed Wowzz, we can focus on many jobs that could do with a jab asap as they

are at risk. Taxi drivers are amongst the highest risk jobs as they are the ones who 

take a lot to hospitals and the Drs. Most are self employed so have to take a risk to 

feed their family's . Some jobs like food factory's production lines , where they have

to work very close to each other ,if you look close enough the risks are there in a lot 

of jobs. I was watching a farming program the other week , she was a dairy farmer

and they lived miles away from anyone and you would think they were safe .

Sad to say her husband took his own life, she went on to say  " People want milk and 

cheeses and the animals need feeding ,no matter what"  The mental illness that covid 

poses is far reaching . The Queen who never says much about covid or anything else 

last night urged the nation " To go out and get jabbed , think of others you could put at 

risk by not doing so."   That to me is the way forward, keep going and lets all get our 

jab's  and soon as possible , that way we will protect everyone ,regardless of their jobs .

• Like 11

22 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you.

Slight eye pressure so the consultant stopped the steroid eye drops but otherwise he was very pleased with the recovery.

I am delighted with the Intra occular Lens as it means my distance sight is good now without my varifocal glasses and the Epiretinal Membrane has gone too.

Graham.

Pleased you eye is recovering well Graham, my consultation that was cancelled last August is now booked for March 3rd at York.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

In the unlikely event of that happening, it would be an inconvenience. However the vaccination programme is not about minimising inconvenience, it’s about minimising deaths and serious illness, which is why the age based approach is the right approach. 

Edited by Snow Hill
Reply to wrong post doh!

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

Ill stand corrected but havent Paramedics had their jabs as they are NHS employees.

I do not agree however that teachers should be in front of anybody and agree for a whole host of reasons that going by age is the best and most efficient way of doing it

• Like 7

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I might have a little sympathy for the police, as they do come into close contact with members of the public, and their death rate from CV19 is considerably greater than the average. 

I don’t know whether it’s just around here or a national thing, but Police officers have been dropping in to vaccination centres on spec towards the end of the day and if they have surplus vaccines then they are given them. To me that’s a sensible half way house, as it acknowledges that they are at greater risk of contracting the virus whilst not formally putting them ahead of people who, statistically, are at greater risk of death from it. 

• Like 5

I do hope that all teachers union Reps were watching  JVT tonight and have taken on board the fact that male teacher deaths from March to Dec were less than 40 per 100,000, against a UK  average around 85, and they are way down the list of dangerous occupations due to covid.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I do hope that all teachers union Reps were watching  JVT tonight and have taken on board the fact that male teacher deaths from March to Dec were less than 40 per 100,000, against a UK  average around 85, and they are way down the list of dangerous occupations due to covid.

No chance, opposition and unions have to find something wrong with the great vaccination program so they will politicise this decision.  Asking for Teachers to be vaccinated first is very popular if you don't think about the consequences, opposition and unions aren't in the consequences game

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Lets hope everyone also took onboard what JVT said about people who have 

has their jab thinking they can forget the rules and go out hugging grandkids 

for example , the answer is no !  Until a lot more people get their jabs it will not

be safe ,we have to stick to the rules . How many times have you seen a football 

team winning 3-0  , only to lose 4-3 ? Asked Van Tam . If we all play our part we

could have a good summer to look forward to but we have to play our part.

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, kalos said:

for example , the answer is no !  Until a lot more people get their jabs it will not

be safe ,we have to stick to the rules . How many times have you seen a football 

team winning 3-0  , only to lose 4-3 ? Asked Van Tam . If we all play our part we

I like to watch when Van Tam is on, I love his analogies which always explain what he is saying in a way that can not be misconstrued by anyone.

We definitely have to stick to the rules because as Hancock said it is starting to rise again in some places.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I don’t know whether it’s just around here or a national thing, but Police officers have been dropping in to vaccination centres on spec towards the end of the day and if they have surplus vaccines then they are given them. To me that’s a sensible half way house, as it acknowledges that they are at greater risk of contracting the virus whilst not formally putting them ahead of people who, statistically, are at greater risk of death from it. 

Same down here Selborne. 

The vaccine centre calls around the local police stations etc at the end of the day if any doses are surplus. 

It cannot go to waste, so I think its a great idea. 

Andy 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I like to watch when Van Tam is on, I love his analogies which always explain what he is saying in a way that can not be misconstrued by anyone.

We definitely have to stick to the rules because as Hancock said it is starting to rise again in some places.

Pauline rang her cousin today and she said her son and his wife both have covid19.

Her son felt unwell and had a test which was negative.

A couple of days later he felt worse and got another test which was positive.

4 hours ago, kalos said:

JVT must have been watching Huddersfield Town, we have the unenviable record this season of giving away more points from a winning position than any team in the league.

But you are so right Kalos, we need to nip this idea of it being safe to mingle after we have had our jabs in the bud, before the R rate takes off again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Pauline rang her cousin today and she said her son and his wife both have covid19.

Her son felt unwell and had a test which was negative.

A couple of days later he felt worse and got another test which was positive.

Oh dear I hope they feel better soon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

When I mentioned previously that teachers were being "used" by their unions I was shot down in flames.

Teachers do a great job, but they are led by those with a political agenda. 

There are so many parents out there working in shops, factories etc being exposed to far greater dangers than teachers, that the unions are likely to lose all the good will that we all have for the rank and file teachers. 

• Like 2