New vaccine

hollyjess

4 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

By law yes they do.  they have to have a practical fire training every 3 years.  Thats in Scotland I can't say for other parts of the UK.

As I said earlier, certainly in the 1990's it was necessary for all hospital staff (in England) to attend fire lectures.  That did not include hands on fire extinguisher training, but an overview of what to use when.

Generally in my lab role I would not have been alone in the lab, but in the late sixties I spent a year as a first year student nurse and remember no specific mention of fire, but it may have been mentioned.  Yet I would be totally alone on a large ward full of bedridden patients for an hour during the night, when my senior was on meal break, so ignoring potential fire needs of extinguisher use, or perhaps a fire bucket full of sand, could have been a big mistake.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tring said:

As I said earlier, certainly in the 1990's it was necessary for all hospital staff (in England) to attend fire lectures.  That did not include hands on fire extinguisher training, but an overview of what to use when.

Generally in my lab role I would not have been alone in the lab, but in the late sixties I spent a year as a first year student nurse and remember no specific mention of fire, but it may have been mentioned.  Yet I would be totally alone on a large ward full of bedridden patients for an hour during the night, when my senior was on meal break, so ignoring potential fire needs of extinguisher use, or perhaps a fire bucket full of sand, could have been a big mistake.

What we currently have is a manditory annual online module and a three yearly practical one.  However that said the practical sessions are for roughly 10 people and run about 10 times a week.  We have nearly 30000 staff.   The maths don't add up.

Regards other things mentioned in the requirements, the form did say have those qualifications or, "attend the relevant modules".  That is highly logical, but does not mean all will be trained to the level of each qualification, but that the said qualification would exempt you from some training.

I was under the impression all new jobs tend to require some sort of induction now, so just like that really as I see it.

2 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

Stumbled across the web page linked below via the BBC, apparently a tracker of vaccinations per country.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

I was looking at that earlier and then went seeking information as to why Israel had done so well, it turns out that they have given only slightly more doses than we have but their population is much smaller. I wonder how many doses we would have given had more vaccine been available.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

What we currently have is a manditory annual online module and a three yearly practical one.  However that said the practical sessions are for roughly 10 people and run about 10 times a week.  We have nearly 30000 staff.   The maths don't add up.

I may be out of date with current requirements.  Computers have come into use much more since the 90's, but provision of computers for something like that was probably not going to happen in the 90's.  The fire lectures were not big groups by any means, but cannot remember how many - perhaps about 15 as a complete guess and basically depended on who was due for one.

Spending most of my working life in a lab situation, I have had various "fire training sessions", when the use of different fire extinguishers had been demonstrated and perhaps one of us actioned one as an extra demonstration, which did show how difficult they can be to manage.  I think there were people trained more as specific fire marshalls, or whatever they were called in various places, but in a lab fire could very easily take off because of chemicals, machinery etc. so not a good idea for the only person around to ignore the beginnings of such.  With research labs, it is easy to find yourself alone in a lab area.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

My point is does everyone working in a hospital need fire extinguisher training not are they aware of fire safety rules.

The requirement on the list was.  Fire safety level 1. I don't know what that entails , but it sounds fairly basis to me. Please remember, I have never In my 73 years on cruise critic ever mentioned fire extinguishers. I can't spell it.🤣

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

If you volunteer to help administer the vaccine, you have to supply the following documentation,  or attend the relevant modules . You really couldn't make it up, could you?

1 Passport or proof of right to work
2 DBS certificate
3 Highest education certificate
4 Conflict resolution, level 1
5 Core knowledge for vaccinators
6 Covid mRNA vaccine BNT162b2
7 Data security awareness, level 1
8 Equality, diversity & human rights
9 Fire safety, level 1
10 Health, safety and welfare, level 1
11 Infection prevention, level 2
12 Introduction to anaphylaxis
13 Legal aspects of vaccination
14 Moving and handling, level 1
15 Preventing radicalisation, level 1
16 Managing anaphylaxis
17 Resuscitation, level 2
18 Safeguarding adults, level 2
19 Safeguarding children, level 2
20 Vaccine administration
21 Vaccine storage

A lot of these modules are basic mandatory training that all NHS staff are required to complete and should take no longer than half a day to do. On the face of it some look to be superfluous but are actually very important for example number 7 is information governance and extremely important that staff are aware of their responsibilities in keeping patient data safe and secure. 

The majority of Trusts will apply for the DBS on behalf of staff, in fact I don’t know of any Trust in my area that doesn’t do this.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, tring said:

I may be out of date with current requirements.  Computers have come into use much more since the 90's, but provision of computers for something like that was probably not going to happen in the 90's.  The fire lectures were not big groups by any means, but cannot remember how many - perhaps about 15 as a complete guess and basically depended on who was due for one.

Spending most of my working life in a lab situation, I have had various "fire training sessions", when the use of different fire extinguishers had been demonstrated and perhaps one of us actioned one as an extra demonstration, which did show how difficult they can be to manage.  I think there were people trained more as specific fire marshalls, or whatever they were called in various places, but in a lab fire could very easily take off because of chemicals, machinery etc. so not a good idea for the only person around to ignore the beginnings of such.  With research labs, it is easy to find yourself alone in a lab area.

We had many types of extinguisher due to the nature of different chemicals, some of which are not in use anymore as technology has moved on. Plus in the more modern labs a lot of the booths had fire suppression systems. One aspect of fire extinguisher training that we had was "Don't be a hero". The main point was to get everybody out safely and let the fire brigade/site fire marshall's deal with the fire, lose a lab save a life. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

All NHS employees have manditory training requirements.  Some are once only, some three yearly, two yearly and annually.  Depending on your role will dictate which of the training modules you have to do.  Some of those listed are for everyone others are for staff who deal with patients or who administer medication to patients.  The list or at least versions of it have been there for years.  New ones get added when national events happen and the outcome is that new training is required.

The list is also for new starts who have to complete the modules before they start their new roles.

I understand the reasoning for the list and why it's there,training and health and safety requirements.Like you say,there are times when new training requirements get added,does anyone know which new ones have been put on this list due to covid?

2 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We had many types of extinguisher due to the nature of different chemicals, some of which are not in use anymore as technology has moved on. Plus in the more modern labs a lot of the booths had fire suppression systems. One aspect of fire extinguisher training that we had was "Don't be a hero". The main point was to get everybody out safely and let the fire brigade/site fire marshall's deal with the fire, lose a lab save a life. 

Our practical training also includes wearing a smoke mask (meaning your view is severely restricted) and having to find patients in bed and get them out of the room.

1 minute ago, Dinglebert said:

Our practical training also includes wearing a smoke mask (meaning your view is severely restricted) and having to find patients in bed and get them out of the room.

We were the same in Chemical industry, everyone had to know how to use the breathing apparatus that was relevant to the area of work. 

15 minutes ago, zap99 said:

The requirement on the list was.  Fire safety level 1. I don't know what that entails , but it sounds fairly basis to me. Please remember, I have never In my 73 years on cruise critic ever mentioned fire extinguishers. I can't spell it.🤣

It is fairly basic and we complete ours on line. It covers awareness of different situations that could lead to a fire and does cover fire extinguishers but only what the different types are for. I’m also a fire warden so have to do additional training on top of the above but again not on the use of fire extinguishers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

So by your logic every person that works in a hospital should have fire extinguisher training. It is no different to most other industries, as long as there are enough people trained to make the place safe.

As long as a fire doesn't break out when the appointed work fire crew are on holiday or off sick.That's why all staff should be trained to at least the basic level of what extinguisher to use and how to use it.All members of staff should be fully aware of exits and basic use of extinguishers,if safe to do so.That should be law in all workplaces,valuable seconds could be life or death.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

It is fairly basic and we complete ours on line. It covers awareness of different situations that could lead to a fire and does cover fire extinguishers but only what the different types are for. I’m also a fire warden so have to do additional training on top of the above but again not on the use of fire extinguishers.

You folk on here who are involved in the NHS don't seem to think this form is an issue and indeed that the requirements are reasonable and standard. As a layperson I feel quite gratified that wot I said hours ago wasn't so silly after all. Leave things to the experts and all will be well. I just hope that the person sticking that needle in my arm is an expert.🤣

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

You folk on here who are involved in the NHS don't seem to think this form is an issue and indeed that the requirements are reasonable and standard. As a layperson I feel quite gratified that wot I said hours ago wasn't so silly after all. Leave things to the experts and all will be well. I just hope that the person sticking that needle in my arm is an expert.🤣

I for one,have every confidence that the person giving me the vaccine will be fully qualified to do so.Whether they can handle a fire extinguisher or know what one looks like is another issue.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

The majority of Trusts will apply for the DBS on behalf of staff, in fact I don’t know of any Trust in my area that doesn’t do this.

Which is the way it should be. 

An individual has to pay £23 for a DBS cert.  Additionally, an individual can only get a basic check.  This will only show "unspent" convictions.  So waving about a basic check DBS cert only shows that you have not had a recent conviction (the time at which a conviction is "spent" varies depending on fine/sentence etc).

Employers however, can request more in depth checks which may include things like spent convictions.  Additionally, some occupations/roles are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, I think healthcare is one of those exemptions.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, zap99 said:

You do know that students used to practice on ornages first before being let loose on real flesh. Get on your fake tan and you will be just fine.😀

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

You do know that students used to practice on ornages first before being let loose on real flesh. Get on your fake tan and you will be just fine.😀

Yes, I remember practicing on oranges. I also was allowed to let a fire  hose off, the very large unwieldy ones, on one of my fire training sessions many years ago. They don't let you do that nowadays but it was great fun at the  time! but wouldn't want to do it for real. VERY  heavy. I can't remember the data,but a fair percentage of fires in a  hospital are  started  deliberately. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, zap99 said:

It is all reasonable and standard so some of the earlier posts about project management etc did make me giggle. All of our vaccinators are extremely well trained and experienced so you’ll be in safe hands!

I do understand that to those who don’t work in the service that some things we have to do may seem excessive but there’s a reason for everything and you can’t be too careful when dealing with someone’s health.

This has been the worst year I’ve ever experienced since joining the NHS but I wouldn’t change my job for anything!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Which is the way it should be. 

An individual has to pay £23 for a DBS cert.  Additionally, an individual can only get a basic check.  This will only show "unspent" convictions.  So waving about a basic check DBS cert only shows that you have not had a recent conviction (the time at which a conviction is "spent" varies depending on fine/sentence etc).

Employers however, can request more in depth checks which may include things like spent convictions.  Additionally, some occupations/roles are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, I think healthcare is one of those exemptions.

Yes healthcare is one of those exemptions. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

It is all reasonable and standard so some of the earlier posts about project management etc did make me giggle. All of our vaccinators are extremely well trained and experienced so you’ll be in safe hands!

I do understand that to those who don’t work in the service that some things we have to do may seem excessive but there’s a reason for everything and you can’t be too careful when dealing with someone’s health.

This has been the worst year I’ve ever experienced since joining the NHS but I wouldn’t change my job for anything!

And we certainly appreciate you efforts, several NHS workers I know are saying it is the worst they have ever known. 

• Like 4

Hi Everyone

We're used to form filling in the NHS! This latest batch isn't too bad. All our vaccinators completed it without any trouble and a lot of it is standard H&S stuff which we do on a regular basis anyway. We haven't used any volunteers. All our GPs and nurses have relocated to a bigger 'hub' practice to give the vaccines and all the attendant vaccinators have been local GPs and nurses. We've staffed our own practice with locums while the vaccinators have been at the hub and all has gone well.

We still haven't heard about delivery of the Oxford vaccines yet. Hopefully we'll get news about that on Monday because at the moment we have no idea how to order, or if it's a set allocation. It would be lovely to hear in advance of the Daily Mail!

Stay safe.

Best wishes.

Jane

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1