Jump to content

New vaccine


hollyjess
 Share

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

That and perhaps curfews, mask wearing outdoors, passes for leaving home etc all of which have happened in Europe.

That last one was a very simple and effective measure in France and elsewhere.  Online registration of the purpose of the journey, printout to be produced when required and automatic heavy fine if not produced.  It worked well.

 

The right wingers will argue that it infringes freedom - but do does death or illness caused by the collapse of the NHS if we don't treat this more seriously.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, davecttr said:

2021 appears to have started as 2020 ended,  SNAFU ( a non rude version is available)

No great surprise, though, when you look at all the key players and their past histories.  I'm not including the scientists and the virologists there.  Just the decision makers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, davecttr said:

2021 appears to have started as 2020 ended,  SNAFU ( a non rude version is available)

 

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'll match your snafu with a fubar😉 

Avril

 

It's a Mad World...Tiers For Fears  :classic_wacko:
 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I am obviously much older than my years and no longer ‘down with the kids’, as I am having to google what all these expressions mean 😂 

I am with you, I had to Google to find out what they meant 🤣🤣

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, batholiver said:

Presumably a full nationwide lockdown with clear  unambiguous enforceable rules. The present setup is piecemeal,  complex, widely ignored and plainly ineffective against the new highly infectious variant,  which is already almost at the point of overwhelming hospitals across the whole country. 

My understanding is that Yorkshire, and some other areas of the country are accepting covid cases from down south, so clearly not everywhere is overwhelmed. Equally as the vaccine roll out ramps up then more and more vulnerable oldies will be protected which will lead to a reduction in hospitalization.

We just have to be patient, and hope that vaccine supplies start coming through in large enough quantities to see an early improvement in infections among the vulnerable.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mr.Clive Browne said:

Would have preffered him to push his questions on the vaccine roll out and the many issues regarding that instead of going over old issues.

I find Andrew Marr let’s interviewees of the hook too many times, oh for the days of Paxman, Richard Dimbleby and David Frost. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Moderna vaccine is expected to receive approval by EU & Switzerland this week, already approved in US & Canada. U.K. has ordered 7m doses, not heard anything on its approval here though. 
 

Edited by Snow Hill
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, batholiver said:

That last one was a very simple and effective measure in France and elsewhere.  Online registration of the purpose of the journey, printout to be produced when required and automatic heavy fine if not produced.  It worked well.

 

The right wingers will argue that it infringes freedom - but do does death or illness caused by the collapse of the NHS if we don't treat this more seriously.

 

 

I always thought it was left wingers who carped about civil liberties, and accused right wingers of being behind all incidents that denied them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

The Moderna vaccine is expected to receive approval by EU & Switzerland this week, already approved in US & Canada. U.K. has ordered 7m doses, not heard anything on its approval here though. 
 

I think I read that it's been submitted to the MHRA for approval. But we're not due to get any of that particular vaccine until the spring so they probably prioritised getting the Oxford vaccine approved. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:


 

It strikes me that the true facts are being withheld from us so as not to get everyone down when people are feeling that there is now hope with the vaccines. Weasel words, which can be interpreted in all sorts of ways, are being used by politicians, medical officers, scientists and the vaccine companies alike. The proof of this as far as I am concerned is the fact that nobody is prepared to commit to exactly when we will vaccinating at a rate of 2m per week. Every week that we don’t means yet further delay to these vague and ever changing targets
 

 

I think a lot of people would struggle if we were told the unvarnished truth by politicians. Johnson's date for things to be 'better' is always about three months in the future.  People are willing to believe this, as it is much more comforting than doing the the maths and working out what the real time scale is for vaccinations.   Of course, to believe what Johnson says, you have to conveniently forget his last comforting promise!

 

This cartoon is very accurate

 

 

Pu2mojgwQnibIrW6uJKD_file.jpg

  • Like 8
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, batholiver said:

That last one was a very simple and effective measure in France and elsewhere.  Online registration of the purpose of the journey, printout to be produced when required and automatic heavy fine if not produced.  It worked well.

 

The right wingers will argue that it infringes freedom - but do does death or illness caused by the collapse of the NHS if we don't treat this more seriously.

 

 

Curfew must mean curfew.

Dominic Cummings, Scottish health spokeswoman and a SNP MP to name a few caused a breakdown of trust with the public during the last lockdown.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

My understanding is that Yorkshire, and some other areas of the country are accepting covid cases from down south, so clearly not everywhere is overwhelmed. Equally as the vaccine roll out ramps up then more and more vulnerable oldies will be protected which will lead to a reduction in hospitalization.

We just have to be patient, and hope that vaccine supplies start coming through in large enough quantities to see an early improvement in infections among the vulnerable.

When infections increase in Yorkshire (they will, when the new variant gets a grip), and the amount of people needing hospitalisation increases, where will they go if beds are being used by people from other parts of the country? 

 

We have months to go before the vaccination programme will make a real difference, and the infections are increasing rapidly now. Sadly, it's not enough to be patient - the NHS is on the brink now and infections are increasing now. This is an immediate problem.  

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

My understanding is that Yorkshire, and some other areas of the country are accepting covid cases from down south, so clearly not everywhere is overwhelmed. Equally as the vaccine roll out ramps up then more and more vulnerable oldies will be protected which will lead to a reduction in hospitalization.

We just have to be patient, and hope that vaccine supplies start coming through in large enough quantities to see an early improvement in infections among the vulnerable.

Others will know far more than I do about the logistics and safety of moving patients half way up the country when they're seriously ill but it seems less than ideal, plus does it tie up nurses/doctors to accompany the patients?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

When infections increase in Yorkshire (they will, when the new variant gets a grip), and the amount of people needing hospitalisation increases, where will they go if beds are being used by people from other parts of the country? 

 

We have months to go before the vaccination programme will make a real difference, and the infections are increasing rapidly now. Sadly, it's not enough to be patient - the NHS is on the brink now and infections are increasing now. This is an immediate problem.  

 

 

Precisely.  NHS chiefs are warning of an inevitable imminent countrywide emergency, based simply on the number of new cases over recent days and the known conversion rate from cases to hospitalizations. 

 

And the new Christmas inspired cases won't even be showing up fully yet.

 

What a shame the Nightingale hospitals are of so little use because they can't be staffed. And what a shame we've been running down staff numbers in the NHS for the last 10 years,  and what a shame we've been making it increasingly unattractive for overseas doctors and nurses to fill the gaps we've created by our own stupidity. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I am obviously much older than my years and no longer ‘down with the kids’, as I am having to google what all these expressions mean 😂 

As they are generally attributed to the US Army in WW2 you must be well into Queenie birthday card territory 😉

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Others will know far more than I do about the logistics and safety of moving patients half way up the country when they're seriously ill but it seems less than ideal, plus does it tie up nurses/doctors to accompany the patients?

Half the problem is what is true and what isn't, an NHS worker we know says that her local hospital has covid patients but is less busy than usual for time of year, yet the local news and other media says it is bursting at the seams with covid patients. Government says the vaccine issues are caused by the pharma companies, they say not. Some teachers say it is safe for kids to go back some say not. The media puts out whatever they want and spins it to suit their own needs The truth may be somewhere in between, however once someone lies to you you are reluctant to believe them in the future. Plus this issue is very emotive.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...