New vaccine

hollyjess

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

I am under the impression that the person who had the first vaccine pfizer dose have a signed contract to get the second at an approved date would that be correct?

My mate works for NHS won't say where on a public forum. He has had his just before christmas and he is saying they are trying to move his second dose "and making decisions without proof of consent" in his words and that he has  "signed a contract that says 21 days not 12 weeks". So surely they have to honour that? Or be in breach?

I can’t answer your questions about ‘contracts’ but a number of people who had the first jab, including the lady who was splashed across the media worldwide, have already had their second jab. As we know, the issue will be that, going forward, there will be a longer wait between the first and second jab but as JVT rightly says, better to have two elderly people with 87% protection than one with 95% and the other with none at all. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Please reassure him that after a 15 minute wait to observe any adverse reaction, participants in the phase 3 trials drove home safely. There was no suggestion that we shouldn’t have done.

Thanks for the reply. He just feels a bit better in himself in not driving. He won't drive for 24 hours after it. But it is good to know he has that option.

6 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

If that is the case then everybody who had been vaccinated would have had to have an antibody test after 1 week which is highly unlikely based on the fact that Israel are currently leading the world on percentage of population vaccinated and the antibody tests are not accurate to 1%. In view of the current trials it was also not proposed that the vaccine would offer a great deal of protection until 14-21 days, so looking for antibodies after 1 week is probably not going to yield a lot of valuable data. It could be that they did actually test a few people and only 1% of those showed any level of immunity. Under normal circumstance the clinical trials would have been followed up by years of analysis and data collection which would have delayed the vaccine.

She said it was a professor from Tel Aviv's biggest hospital who had tested 8 patients after 1 week.

I said our understanding is it takes 2-3 weeks for antibodies after vaccine.

5 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

You realise that the staff are stretched to the absolute limit? My friend has been working for 14hrs a day to help with the set up of the vaccination programme for the surgery group that she works for.

Your dad is obviously the most important thing in the world to you, but you working your self up to have a rant at the hard pressed staff is not going to help anyone. 

They are doing really good work under impossible conditions. They should get one year of footballers wages each but they won't. I am not going to rant at them of course. I am actually go into town and see them now and see what the crack. If they are moving him it will make sense they are moving others it won't be a local thing either. I will post here with the updated info.

2 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

They are doing really good work under impossible conditions. They should get one year of footballers wages each but they won't. I am not going to rant at them of course. I am actually go into town and see them now and see what the crack. If they are moving him it will make sense they are moving others it won't be a local thing either. I will post here with the updated info.

Why?  They can't discuss your father as it would breach confidentiality therefore all you are doing is taking up their time.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

A cc friend from Israel said that after 1 week only 1% who had the first vaccine were showing antibodies

I heard JVT say recently that it takes 2 but more usually 3 weeks after the vaccine for full antibody protection. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

She said it was a professor from Tel Aviv's biggest hospital who had tested 8 patients after 1 week.

I said our understanding is it takes 2-3 weeks for antibodies after vaccine.

So if 8 patients were tested how can you have only 1% showing antibodies? If 0 out of 8 showed antibodies that is 0% if even 1 showed antibodies that is 12.5%. I am not arguing or disputing what you are saying, just trying to add some reality to the conjecture and demonstrate that throwing percentages around can be pretty meaningless and confusing people even more.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

So if 8 patients were tested how can you have only 1% showing antibodies? If 0 out of 8 showed antibodies that is 0% if even 1 showed antibodies that is 12.5%. I am not arguing or disputing what you are saying, just trying to add some reality to the conjecture and demonstrate that throwing percentages around can be pretty meaningless and confusing people even more.

This was the post.

It doesn't say how many were tested sorry.

Screenshot_20210104_131335_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Edited by grapau27

38 minutes ago, Dinglebert said:

Its only kicking the ball down the road.  In 12 weeks time instead of 4 weeks they will have to concentrate on 2nd jabs thereby meaning that 1st jabs will have to stop again.  I am due my 2nd one on Thursday.  So far no word on it being moved.

Of course if supplies have improved in 12 weeks time, it would still be possible to continue with first vaccinations, as well as to give the 2nd jabs.

Just now, grapau27 said:

Only passing on what a well respected poster told me.

She is 60 and had her first jab a few days ago.

I appreciate that but can you not see that the figures quoted do not add up and will further confuse an already confusing subject. I am playing devils advocate not trying to discount you opinion.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I appreciate that but can you not see that the figures quoted do not add up and will further confuse an already confusing subject. I am playing devils advocate not trying to discount you opinion.

I have edited that post # 1537 and screenshot  her post and posted that.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Of course if supplies have improved in 12 weeks time, it would still be possible to continue with first vaccinations, as well as to give the 2nd jabs.

It is highly likely that supplies will have improved in 12 weeks time, but at some point we will reach the optimum level of physically  being able to give the vaccine, so it might be that we follow the path Israel seem to be taking where they stop giving the first dose for 3 weeks to let them give the second dose. Or of course it could be something completely different.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

The last time she posted was November? She didn't sound in a good place and I replied saying that if she needed to talk we were all here for her. Worryingly, she hasn't posted since. Harry's another one that's causing me some concern too.

Avril

Hopefully she and her family are all fine and she has just been extremely busy home schooling her daughters and sorting them out for Christmas. 🤞🤞

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

I would be interested to see evidence of any research that says 1 jab gives 100% assurance of no hospitalisation and obvious death when the best proposal is that 1 jab gives 90% of the population protection. It is far too early to be making outrageous statements.

Don't shoot the messenger,ask Phil Schofield.What they are saying is that you can still get it with the 1 jab but not as bad.

5 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Don't shoot the messenger,ask Phil Schofield.What they are saying is that you can still get it with the 1 jab but not as bad.

I am not shooting the messenger as such just trying to put a scientific edge and add reality to a  statement that has no support as yet. We all need good news and want to believe that the vaccines are the new "medicinal compound" but we also have to cling to reality sometimes whether we like it or not.

9 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I am not shooting the messenger as such just trying to put a scientific edge and add reality to a  statement that has no support as yet. We all need good news and want to believe that the vaccines are the new "medicinal compound" but we also have to cling to reality sometimes whether we like it or not.

No worries,it just came out of the blue by a couple of GPs on ITV.Perhaps more news is forthcoming.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnnieC said:

Trouble is, they can protect twice as many people in the same length of time by delaying the second jab, which seems a reasonable compromise. Mind you, the few scientists I read don't agree with each other - Dr Simon Clarke deems it a bad idea, JVT and Dr John Campbell both approve.

JVT is the only scientist I take  any notice of.

Avril

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

JVT is the only scientist I take  any notice of.

Avril

I have to say he is one of the leading lights in all this, I do like the way he comes across. Saying that I used to think similarly of Neil Ferguson many years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I heard JVT say recently that it takes 2 but more usually 3 weeks after the vaccine for full antibody protection. 

Exactly, which is why we still have social distance and wear masks after being vaccinated.

Avril

• Like 3