New vaccine

hollyjess

6 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Meanwhile, at the coal-face, in darkest North London, we are working tirelessly to vaccinate every arm that is held out to us. Things are going well. We have completed step 1. in Bath Oliver's list. The cohort in Step 2 starts at 8am today.

As long as the supply chain holds up we'll be ready and waiting with our vials and needles.

North Central London CCG told us yesterday that those patients already vaccinated can have their second Pfizer up to and including 11th January. After that we go to the 12 week schedule.

At the moment the Astra Zeneca vaccines are only being given at hospitals. We hope to have more news about the roll-out to general practice later today. At the moment we are fully booked until 16th January in our 'hub'. Whether or not we continue in hubs or revert to the vaccine being given from each individual practice is not yet clear. From the hub we are giving roughly 900vaccines per day.

Keep the faith - you know the NHS won't let you down - it's all down to the supplies coming through.

Have a good day everyone.

Best wishes.

Jane

Thank you Jane. That’s an uplifting post and I thank you for all that you and your colleagues are doing to keep us safe.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Thank you Jane. That’s an uplifting post and I thank you for all that you and your colleagues are doing to keep us safe.

No thanks needed Angel. We all do it because we love our jobs. And it's just started snowing! I'd better get off and bring in some of my queue outside. Best wishes. Jane

• Like 2

1 hour ago, batholiver said:

According to Johnson last evening, all the following will be vaccinated by the middle of February:

1 - Residents in a care home for older adults and their carers
2 - All those aged 80 and over. Frontline health and social care workers
3 - All those aged 75 and over
4 - All those aged 70 and over. Clinically extremely vulnerable individuals

The programme hasn't even started yet in this area, and given that the previous assurance that 'millions' of vaccinations would be done by 31 December failed dismally I'm not holding my breath.

It’s a hell of a stretch target and there’s a fair chance that they might not achieve it, but at least we now have a firm and specific target and it’s a commendable one. I have been very critical of the government and medical officers alike in hiding behind weasel words such as ‘the most vulnerable’ (without stating which of the specific 9 groups that is - even though all over 50’s are vulnerable) and ‘Spring’, which could be any time within 3 months. Yesterday’s announcement was the first one that gave specifics that couldn’t be misinterpreted.

I  have been fearful that, as a 55 year old, I won’t get vaccinated until the summer. IF the target of getting all the over 70’s jabbed by Mid Feb is achieved, I have a chance of being jabbed in the Spring. That would be a huge improvement. 

Finally, Boris did not commit that they WILL hit the target, but that he hoped that with a fair wind they would. The Medical Director of the NHS is saying that they have the capacity to achieve the required 2m jabs a week but the issue is vaccine supply. If the spirit of providing honest answers and specific targets were to continue, I would now like to know what the vaccine orders are - numbers and delivery dates - as that now seems to be the determining factor as to whether the vaccination target can be reached. Nobody is giving straight answers on that. 

• Like 1

This thread has become addictive and very informative. One or to so called experts who really know nothing but the majority of posters have been very sensible and make it my must read several times a day.

Thanks to everyone who contributes, even if you are not a real expert lol.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Meanwhile, at the coal-face, in darkest North London, we are working tirelessly to vaccinate every arm that is held out to us. Things are going well. We have completed step 1. in Bath Oliver's list. The cohort in Step 2 starts at 8am today.

As long as the supply chain holds up we'll be ready and waiting with our vials and needles.

North Central London CCG told us yesterday that those patients already vaccinated can have their second Pfizer up to and including 11th January. After that we go to the 12 week schedule.

At the moment the Astra Zeneca vaccines are only being given at hospitals. We hope to have more news about the roll-out to general practice later today. At the moment we are fully booked until 16th January in our 'hub'. Whether or not we continue in hubs or revert to the vaccine being given from each individual practice is not yet clear. From the hub we are giving roughly 900vaccines per day.

Keep the faith - you know the NHS won't let you down - it's all down to the supplies coming through.

Best wishes.

Jane

Thank you Jane for your informative post and the good work you're doing.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I believe the millions by the end Dec were contingent on the AZ vaccine being approved earlier in Dec rather than on the 30th, but that would not suit your Boris bashing agenda, would it?

Not the case I'm afraid. 

8th December:

"We've got millions of doses we expect to arrive before the end of the year," Hancock told BBC TV.

Asked how quickly people would receive the shot, he said: "Millions by the end of year."

Just the usual hype we've come to expect,  followed by the usual letdown. It's impossible unfortunately to take anything seriously and that's not good when trust is so important. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, batholiver said:

Not the case I'm afraid. 

8th December:

"We've got millions of doses we expect to arrive before the end of the year," Hancock told BBC TV.

Asked how quickly people would receive the shot, he said: "Millions by the end of year."

Just the usual hype we've come to expect,  followed by the usual letdown. It's impossible unfortunately to take anything seriously and that's not good when trust is so important. 

You are wasting your breathe. Some just don’t let hard facts get in the way of their their narrative supported by none.

I agree entirely that trust is a major imperative in this kind of situation.

• Like 1

Here in the East Midlands we're a bit restricted at the moment in terms of the vaccine roll-out, with only the Nottingham University Hospital Group providing a hub as well as one in Derby and one in Leicester. I'm sure many are beavering away in the background but there is a frustrating lack of clarity about what plans are being considered to increase the capacity to vaccinate more.

Thinking laterally I'm wondering if we could take advantage of the new lockdown and look at commissioning some of the secondary schools as vaccine hubs. I know our local GP practice is unlikely to be suitable as a hub since they have limited space to carry out the 15 minute post jab observations. However the local secondary school has a sports arena attached to it that would be ideal if it could be set up quickly. Just musings on my behalf but maybe some merit in them

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Best wishes.

Jane

Thank you for posting.Very encouraging to hear

17 minutes ago, arlowood said:

Here in the East Midlands we're a bit restricted at the moment in terms of the vaccine roll-out, with only the Nottingham University Hospital Group providing a hub as well as one in Derby and one in Leicester. I'm sure many are beavering away in the background but there is a frustrating lack of clarity about what plans are being considered to increase the capacity to vaccinate more.

Thinking laterally I'm wondering if we could take advantage of the new lockdown and look at commissioning some of the secondary schools as vaccine hubs. I know our local GP practice is unlikely to be suitable as a hub since they have limited space to carry out the 15 minute post jab observations. However the local secondary school has a sports arena attached to it that would be ideal if it could be set up quickly. Just musings on my behalf but maybe some merit in them

A pub chain has offered their premises as they have space and lots of refrigeration for the vaccine. 

Presumably school kitchens would have refrigeration and if not they could be brought in.

Im sure suitable sites will be put to good use soon.

32 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

You are wasting your breathe. Some just don’t let hard facts get in the way of their their narrative supported by none.

I agree entirely that trust is a major imperative in this kind of situation.

I absolutely agree that trust is a major imperative at the moment but that message needs to get to the ‘Tory rebels’, one of whom has already been on the radio this morning contradicting Johnson’s actions in imposing another lockdown. I am all for free speech but as an MP, elected on a party ticket, this situation, without necessarily demanding blind loyalty, should produce restraint in what is said on national media. The Prime Minister needs to get a grip on all of his party because those ‘rebel MPs’ who are constantly undermining the lockdown will weaken it and provide a Cummings style excuse for non observers. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

A pub chain has offered their premises as they have space and lots of refrigeration for the vaccine. 

Presumably school kitchens would have refrigeration and if not they could be brought in.

Im sure suitable sites will be put to good use soon.

Let's hope that all suitable sites are put to use but we also have to bear in mind that what we non-professionals might consider to be suitable may not be what the NHS consider to be suitable.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Let's hope that all suitable sites are put to use but we also have to bear in mind that what we non-professionals might consider to be suitable may not be what the NHS consider to be suitable.

Only chance to get a beer while you are waiting in the pub for a jab😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I  have been fearful that, as a 55 year old, I won’t get vaccinated until the summer

I am under 50 but above 40 and I doubt i will ever get a vaccine. Just because it has been ordered don't mean nothing.

17 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I heard that they are short of glass vials and people to do the jabs.

And yet they are knocking dentists who do 3 fillings a day back or making them do that much paperwork to join that they can't be bothered . They stick needles in gums every day. Surely they are qualified.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I read something online, written by a vet.

He says that vets should be brought in to help with the vaccination programme. He says that he can administer 60 injections per hour.... and that's with his patients trying to bite him! 

Not correctly or safely. he can't.  You can't just stick a needle in someone once a minute.  You need to ensure you have the correct patient, that you ask the correct questions around previous potential life threatening adverse reactions.  The patient needs to get ready.  Its not a second per jab job.

Edited by Dinglebert

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Of course vets can do it.  Totally qualified.  Animals have adverse reactions as well.  So can all pharmacists.  Surprised we haven't brought in the forces.  They have hundreds of medics and paramedics.  

Not my point.  My point was he claimed to be able to do 60 an hour

Edited by Dinglebert

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Of course vets can do it.  Totally qualified.  Animals have adverse reactions as well.  So can all pharmacists.  Surprised we haven't brought in the forces.  They have hundreds of medics and paramedics.  

I would imagine that the army will be used once we start getting bigger volumes of vaccine, the people posting on here from the NHS seem happy that the NHS can cope with current supplies. 

• Like 1