New vaccine

hollyjess

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Yup, he's a bit like a German Nigel Farge.

You are right, but some of what he will say will be true, just like when Brexit bashers spin it the other direction. There are a lot of negative vibes coming out of Europe regarding vaccines, some will be sour grapes I am sure.

7 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

You are right, but some of what he will say will be true, just like when Brexit bashers spin it the other direction. There are a lot of negative vibes coming out of Europe regarding vaccines, some will be sour grapes I am sure.

All the statistics must be correct as they can be verified easily enough. 

Avril

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

All the statistics must be correct as they can be verified easily enough. 

Avril

They can. According to the Our World in Data: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

So yesterday we were fifth in the world for covid vaccinations per 100 people.🙂

Edited by AnnieC

2 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

That’s not too bad overall, but Wales is well behind the other home nations unfortunately. 

It's excellent, but sorry I didn't delve any deeper into the figures - was saving that for a special treat later.😉

Edited by AnnieC
  • Like 1

I’m not that concerned where we’re at compared to the rest of the world, but of course it’s better to be near the top! At the moment I just can’t understand how some regions within the UK have been able to give over 80s in the community their 2 jabs when this group in other places hasn’t even had an appointment for the first one. 

12 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

They can. According to the Our World in Data: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

So yesterday we were fifth in the world for covid vaccinations per 100 people.🙂

This tracker is more up to date, we are 4th here.

More Than 15.9 Million Shots Given: Covid-19 Vaccine Tracker (bloomberg.com)

Edited by yorkshirephil
not required
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ardennais said:

I’m not that concerned where we’re at compared to the rest of the world, but of course it’s better to be near the top! At the moment I just can’t understand how some regions within the UK have been able to give over 80s in the community their 2 jabs when this group in other places hasn’t even had an appointment for the first one. 

I think if the Oxford Vaccine had been approved at the same time as Pfizers it would be different. It was always known that the Pfizer vaccine was problematic. Hopefully it will start improving now, even us out in the sticks are seeing vaccination starting.

• Like 2

Just now, yorkshirephil said:

I think if the Oxford Vaccine had been approved at the same time as Pfizers it would be different. It was always known that the Pfizer vaccine was problematic. Hopefully it will start improving now, even us out in the sticks are seeing vaccination starting.

Yes you’re probably right! And sorry if I’m MOANING, because that’s what I’m getting on the phone every day from my father who simply can’t understand why he hasn’t been called! He was full of hope last Saturday morning when he received an official looking NHS envelope, but my mother said he was deflated when he opened it - it was a reminder to begin shielding again! And don’t mention Prue Leith to him ........ 😩

I'm somewhat in the back of beyond as well, though on the other side of the country, and haven't heard of anyone locally who's had their call-up either. I feel for your Father - the older you get the more limited your remaining time is and, not unreasonably, he wants to make the most of it. Fingers crossed for him (and you!)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ardennais said:

Yes you’re probably right! And sorry if I’m MOANING, because that’s what I’m getting on the phone every day from my father who simply can’t understand why he hasn’t been called! He was full of hope last Saturday morning when he received an official looking NHS envelope, but my mother said he was deflated when he opened it - it was a reminder to begin shielding again! And don’t mention Prue Leith to him ........ 😩

You have a right to be concerned, we are the same with my MIL she is 86 and has lots of health issues including Dementia. We have missed out on a lot of the things we could have done to keep her safe so it does get frustrating, especially when you hear that  people that were potentially further down the pecking order getting theirs. Its not easy, keep your chin up, we will get there.

• Like 4

My Dad’s a tough nut and he won’t be going anywhere for a while! He’s never complained about much, but like a lot of other people now, he’s got a lot of time on his hands and watching every bulletin etc. When the weather improves, he’ll be out on the farm telling everyone else what to do (from afar) over the lambing season! 

• Like 1

My mother-in-law and her husband are both in their 80s and both have underlying health conditions he has had the vaccine ( 2 injections the last one yesterday) and she has had nothing at all and no appointment. The only difference is they have different doctors surgeries but vaccine has been given at local County showground.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I think it is the lack of local info that is the main issue. No one can expect all surgeries to be up and running with vaccinations but if people knew it would be in say around 2 weeks then that would appease most.

Prue obviously is registered with the right Doctor’s surgery!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

That surely must be wrong Wozz. No one could be that petty minded and xenophobic.

Well it is their choice but elsewhere people are commenting they should be told in that case they will go to the back of the queue 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Angel57 said:

I think it is the lack of local info that is the main issue. No one can expect all surgeries to be up and running with vaccinations but if people knew it would be in say around 2 weeks then that would appease most.

Or has underlying private health conditions that rightly we should not know about.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Angel57 said:

Spot on. I just wish ‘they’ hadn’t promised so much so soon. Good job that my Dad can’t access any forums etc (he wouldn’t know how to switch on a computer and mice to him are just troublesome little creatures in old buildings). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Well it is their choice but elsewhere people are commenting they should be told in that case they will go to the back of the queue 

Which seems to me to be the right course of action. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Or has underlying private health conditions that rightly we should not know about.

Yes of course.  But unlike my father she wasn’t shielding last summer - she was filming the Bake Off. I’ve nothing against her - she’s great and I’m pleased that she’s had the vaccine. 

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Which seems to me to be the right course of action. 

Agree but if there are medical issues maybe not. A neighbour was offered the Pfizer vaccine a couple of weeks ago but turned it down because she has multiple allergy reactions. The hub replied that if she changed her mind they would vaccinate her.

4 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Agree but if there are medical issues maybe not. A neighbour was offered the Pfizer vaccine a couple of weeks ago but turned it down because she has multiple allergy reactions. The hub replied that if she changed her mind they would vaccinate her.

Obviously that seems a sensible medical decision. But to decline a vaccine just because it is made by "foreigners", is indefensible, especially as the alternative is not as effective.

The vaccination programme is creaking as it is - the last thing that is needed is for people to complicate matters by picking and choosing which vaccine they want.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Although it shouldn't be a competition and the aim should be to get the whole world Jabbed asap, you will know that benchmarking is an important measure used by industry to assess performance. In this instance it seems we are not doing too bad.

• Like 3