New vaccine

hollyjess

Do I recall hearing (or was it a nightmare?) that there will be daily vaccination press conferences from Monday?  If so, there are bound to be local media reps asking the kind of things you are, Pete

(We’re not London/SE and our info is just being disseminated this morning)

Just now, Eddie99 said:

Do I recall hearing (or was it a nightmare?) that there will be daily vaccination press conferences from Monday?  If so, there are bound to be local media reps asking the kind of things you are, Pete

(We’re not London/SE and our info is just being disseminated this morning)

There may be local media reps (handpicked) but there is no guarantee that their question will be answered. 

30 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

From anecdotal information that I have heard it varies. Some practices are applying a degree of prioritisation of the over 80’s base upon health conditions, but others are just doing it randomly. As we know, there is no requirement to prioritise within age groups. 

It could be that the rollout of vaccinations hasn't begun here yet. I noticed Graham said it would be next week in their area. We've heard nothing yet, but it doesn't surprise me, Barnsley is always the lowest on the totem pole🙂

Avril

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Do you know if people called for a vaccine at the hospital can they ask to have it at a local hub surgery instead? I don't think my parents will want to go to Medway hospital when it's their turn and their surgery is part of the hospital vaccine hub. 

I’ve  no idea I’m afraid 😞 I’m guessing if their GP is in the hospital hub it should be there- sorry. They will all be in PPE of course and I would think wherever they do it it would be away from COVID wards.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It could be that the rollout of vaccinations hasn't begun here yet. I noticed Graham said it would be next week in their area. We've heard nothing yet, but it doesn't surprise me, Barnsley is always the lowest on the totem pole🙂

Avril

There seems to be lots of places where not much has happened, there is lots of information about setting up the hubs, Vaccination is happening in the Huddersfield area but seems slow. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, pete14 said:

It may be due to most national news media being based in London and the South East, but it does seem to me from watching and listening to news that at the moment, the vaccines do seem to be concentrated in that part of the country. I know some have reached the Midlands and the North but I would love to see regional figures just to set my mind at rest. I don’t suppose I ever will. ☹️

When they started doing the Pfizer vaccines there was a list of hospitals acting as vaccine centres and there were quite a lot in each region of the country (not sure if the list also covered Scotland,  Wales and N Ireland, but would have been there as well).  That list included our local hospital, a well as the main Liverpool hospital and the Countess of Chester Hospital which is just this side of Chester.  Obviously meant to cover their own population, all of which are quite highly populated and they are all very big hospitals.

Our GP started after that, still in December, but based in a sports centre that is very near the hospital, so maybe the vaccine was being stored at -70 in the hospital until needed.  Seemed a strange place to choose as it is a way off bus routes and in an area I would not like to go to when dark, but at least it is within about 5 miles of our surgery and possibly covering a very large number of surgeries.  It does seem to be the rural locations which have lost out initially and I am also wondering if more supplies of the Oxford vaccine was initially given to the SE, but perhaps they are prioritising them because of virus numbers, but hopefully will improve elswhere.  We rarely see anyone round here, but in mid December a very elderly neighbour did say she knew someone from another surgery who had an appointment. 

I had seen mention by an academic that regional figures for vaccinated people is promised for Monday, so fingers crossed as I would also like to see that.

Edited by tring

Just been talking to a neighbour.  Her husband is 86, but has not been called for a jab whereas my husband has.  So the only thing I could think is that it's alphabetical.  We would be C and he is R.  We live in the same street, same GP

• Like 4

Just now, jeanlyon said:

Just been talking to a neighbour.  Her husband is 86, but has not been called for a jab whereas my husband has.  So the only thing I could think is that it's alphabetical.  We would be C and he is R.  We live in the same street, same GP

I can see a certain logic in that, I think it would be too time consuming to tie NHS staff up looking through peoples records and trying to decide who should be prioritised. Hopefully once new stocks arrive it will start moving a bit sharper.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Moderna vaccine now licensed for UK

17 million doses to be delivered “Spring”.

It all helps.  All good news

Where was that reported Eddie? I thought we had only ordered 5 million doses from Moderna, hope its right.

2 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Where was that reported Eddie? I thought we had only ordered 5 million doses from Moderna, hope its right.

On BBC, ordered an additional 10million doses upon approval of vaccine.

And the 5 million was changed to 7 million some time ago.

Edited by jaydee6969
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

It’s funny people think of Pfizer as ‘foreign’ I know technically it is. We have a huge Pfizer “factory” in Sandwich in Kent so many Kent people work there.

Is that the V------ factory.Must be hard to get a job there.

Edited by brian1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

It’s on all news channels/websites now, I think.  I got it from Twitter.  Extra 10m doses due

• Like 2

Just now, yorkshirephil said:

Thanks Jaydee, things seem to be moving on, maybe not as quick as we hoped, at this rate we may be cruising by early summer.

I was just looking at a vaccine map of Europe, just to see which countries have actually started and quantities done.  Based on our Malta fly cruise in July, trying to be optimistic.

2021, my year of hope and optimism.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

There isn't anything we can do about it, it is understandable that people want to get their loved ones protected, we are in this situation. Hopefully Johnson and Johnson will have their vaccine approved soon as that is only one dose, their is light at the end of the tunnel, just a bit brighter for some than others at the moment.

That's ironic,Johnson getting Johnson and Johnson to save the world.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I think that is the way it is going - phone call with 24/48 hours notice.  Good thing no-one has plans to be anywhere but home!

With Lockdown they probably expect everyone to be at home.

A family member is getting her vaccine today in Durham.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

We seem to be ahead of most.  Europe is far behind and my Canadian cousins tell me they think UK is doing really well.  As for the States - hmmmmmmm

4.5 million vaccines administered so far in the US from a US contact on CC.