New vaccine

hollyjess

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

I’ve  no idea I’m afraid 😞 I’m guessing if their GP is in the hospital hub it should be there- sorry. They will all be in PPE of course and I would think wherever they do it it would be away from COVID wards.

Thank you Sue

• Like 1

Maybe the pensioners refusing the Pfizer is not down to it being foreign at all ?

Rumour  has it that old pensioner Jack across the road dare not leave his bungalow at night He said "Since I had the Pfizer vaccine I  get an instant erection......... every time I see a bat.:classic_unsure:

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

On 12/9/2020 at 12:49 PM, showingdiva said:

Just thought I would mention I had my 1st dose of the Pfizer vaccine (frontline NHS) this morning.  I am completely fine so far.   The jag stung a little, compared to the flu vaccine anyway, and my arm was a little sore for a couple of hours afterwards but otherwise no problems.   Just for completeness, I am <55, have a bit of a past medical history but no serious allergies.   To have a vaccine is absolutely down to individual choice, but I wanted to help start the process of a return to a much more normal life - at work, working on / with cruise ships, as a cruise passenger and generally.

A little update to my post above.  I had my second Pfizer dose on Wednesday (scheduled before the change from 4 to 12 weeks).   Like the first dose, I have again had no problems.    As a NHS worker, I'm delighted the Oxford / Astra Zeneca vaccine is also now being generally rolled out and that the Moderna one has been approved this morning.

• Like 13

My Mum had her first jab this morning at a local health centre. Mother-in-law had hers yesterday at  a hospital. Both very efficient. In and out in 20 mins (allowing for the 15 wait for any adverse reaction). Different counties and health authorities. Both had the Phizer jab fortunately. Presume that means that the 12 week top up is Phizer as well?

• Like 7

My 86 yo Mother In Law had her Pfizer jab yesterday at her local Health Centre, no after effects apart from a slightly sore arm.

In our area of Cheshire around 4 to 5 GP Surgeries are being grouped together and are using Health Centres, Colleges and a local Civic Hall as vaccination hubs. Roll out started at the beginning of this week.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

My Mum had her first jab this morning at a local health centre. Mother-in-law had hers yesterday at  a hospital. Both very efficient. In and out in 20 mins (allowing for the 15 wait for any adverse reaction). Different counties and health authorities. Both had the Phizer jab fortunately. Presume that means that the 12 week top up is Phizer as well?

So glad to hear that Selbourne.  Just to let you know that the second vaccine will also be Pfizer.  There was talk of mixing and matching at one point but the decision now is that your second vaccine has to be by the same manufacturer as the first.  I hope your mum stays well.  Best wishes.  Jane

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Presume that means that the 12 week top up is Phizer as well?

I remember Van tam being asked on TV  about this and he said " The plan was not to mix them as yet but would be safe in exceptional circumstances " The link below states the same ....

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-can-you-have-two-different-vaccines-and-is-it-safe

4 minutes ago, Beckett said:

So glad to hear that Selbourne.  Just to let you know that the second vaccine will also be Pfizer.  There was talk of mixing and matching at one point but the decision now is that your second vaccine has to be by the same manufacturer as the first.  I hope your mum stays well.  Best wishes.  Jane

Word from a US CC member that Moderna manufacturer insists it is a 28 day gap between jabs.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Word from a US CC member that Moderna manufacturer insists it is a 28 day gap between jabs.

Presumably only been trialled as that.  I would prefer to have the AZ one as their trial included different times between jabs, if I understood that correctly.  Not that I would be unhappy to have any vaccine which I may be offered. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

I think that is the way it is going - phone call with 24/48 hours notice.  Good thing no-one has plans to be anywhere but home!

I was worried that there might be a short lead time between phone call and jab appointment. I am currently a volunteer in the 0ver-70 cohort for the Oxford vaccine trial. Had my 2 jabs back in August and September last year. Obviously I don't know if I was given the Oxford vaccine or the placebo.

We have been told that if we receive a call to have a jab we can email the study director and request to have our data "unblinded." Depending on the outcome of that we can decide to go ahead and be jabbed or sit tight if we have already been dosed with the Oxford vaccine.

My only worry is that the iterative process to uncover my status in the trial may take more than 24/48 hours and I really don't want to pass up the opportunity to get vaccinated when the offer comes.

I may try to call the study team once I know things are rolling more speedily up here in the Nottingham area. At present it is only the Nottingham University Hospitals hub that are jabbing and I think they are concentrating on the over-80's, those attending clinics for other reasons and care home candidates. Things might speed up as more local hubs come on-stream

My mum finally had her 1st vaccine yesterday (Thursday) at her local GP surgery. She is 88yrs old and has been booked in for the 2nd on 25th March, again at the GP surgery.

My OH is slightly older than me and is in the 4th priority group but at the end of February I will join him in the 4th group but by then he may have already had his first vaccine. Not sure where we will go for our vaccine but we can see Elland Road from our bedroom window so maybe that will be up and running. It's roughly the same distance to either our GP surgery or Elland Road. Roll on!!!!!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, arlowood said:

I was worried that there might be a short lead time between phone call and jab appointment. I am currently a volunteer in the 0ver-70 cohort for the Oxford vaccine trial. Had my 2 jabs back in August and September last year. Obviously I don't know if I was given the Oxford vaccine or the placebo.

We have been told that if we receive a call to have a jab we can email the study director and request to have our data "unblinded." Depending on the outcome of that we can decide to go ahead and be jabbed or sit tight if we have already been dosed with the Oxford vaccine.

My only worry is that the iterative process to uncover my status in the trial may take more than 24/48 hours and I really don't want to pass up the opportunity to get vaccinated when the offer comes.

I may try to call the study team once I know things are rolling more speedily up here in the Nottingham area. At present it is only the Nottingham University Hospitals hub that are jabbing and I think they are concentrating on the over-80's, those attending clinics for other reasons and care home candidates. Things might speed up as more local hubs come on-stream

We were told a similar thing in the Novavax trial but were told to phone rather than email. As this ends participation in the trial, I would have thought a final blood test would be a good idea to see how the level of antibodies compares with the previous results in order to perhaps learn more about longevity of immunity. I haven’t heard anything about this happening so presumably it won’t, which to me as a layman, seems a missed opportunity. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

OMG the numbers today are absolutely shocking.  Very glad I am not living in a city.

I agree they are awful and tragic but maybe they will persuade those who are flouting the rules that this is serious and could affect them. Probably a bit optimistic sadly.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

There are lots of of options, it depends on what you are interested in. I’m not local to that area but I have stayed up there and visited the surrounding area.

In the city centre there are a few galleries and a Maritime Museum. Drum Castle is within a short taxi ride but if you are going to Balmoral you probably don’t want more of the same.  There is a beach front if the weather was nice with and city gardens.

You are not far from whisky country so a distillery visit is always a good option. There a less traditional one in the city centre which also does gin tastings but for a real one you need to travel a bit further. Several tour companies will arrange tastings for you eg https://www.rabbies.com/en/scotland-tours/from-aberdeen/speyside-whisky-trail-1-day-tour

There are lots of options from Aberdeen because it is on the main train line so you could get to say Dundee in and hour and 15 minutes and visit the V&A which has really great permanent and temporary exhibitions and Discovery point is right next to it with Captain Scott’s ship and an exhibition of life in the Antarctic. A few minutes further on is the Unicorn a wooden frigate war ship from 1824 which you can go into. 

They  are only a few minutes walk from the main train station and well worth seeing. I suggest googling the V&A (you can pre book entry), Discovery point and Unicorn as it will give you an idea if they are of interest to you. Dundee also has some lovely shops, walks along the Tay and restaurants so with the museums it would make a nice day out.

If you are into golf then the ScotRail train could also take you to Carnoustie in an hour. The train stop is in the middle of the town nor far from the course. 

Try some Arbroath smokies while you are up there, they are delicious. Aberdeen butteries are tasty too. 

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/

Thank you for the suggestions.We have previously visited Dundee (and St Andrews from there) but may visit Carnoustie or one of the beaches.Is there one near by where we might see seals?

26 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I agree they are awful and tragic but maybe they will persuade those who are flouting the rules that this is serious and could affect them. Probably a bit optimistic sadly.

Also maybe stop the copy & paste posters who kept telling us it was nothing and just eat good food .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

and mine is 206.  Tremendous difference, but then you may be in a city?

I'm not in a city Jean. An hours train ride from London. The Medway Towns are a group of towns all very close together, but I'm not even in a town centre, 5 minutes walk from the countryside 🙁

• Like 1

and they keep thinking the only ones to die are us oldies.  I was listening to Radio 4 this morning and a young man was speaking of himself and his brother, aged mid thirties, both of them.  Both got Covid, went into isolation together.  Brother had really bad cough, worse than his.  In the night he heard his brother was up and called - Are you OK?  Answer yes I'm fine.  Found his brother dead in the morning.  He said with hindsight they should have spoken to 111, but didn't.

Both were fit with no underlying conditions.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 3