River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

Notamermaid I didn’t realise the German/Bavaria difference in the U.K. most probably you could compare that with either England/Cornwall or maybe England/Yorkshire well in extremis England then name the county. We would all like our little fiefdoms.

oh and thinking about it the King most probably has his scones the Cornish way!

On 9/25/2024 at 3:36 PM, ural guy said:

With US biscuits, we typically put butter and jam/jelly/preserves on them.  So vaguely close to the UK scone, with cream and preserves.

I don't like cream. At home we have butter an home made jam on our scones.

On our recent flight back, after our Seine River cruise, from Paris on BA they served warm scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam. So I just had the jam. 

10 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Notamermaid I didn’t realise the German/Bavaria difference

It isn't called a Freistaat (free state) for nothing. :classic_wink: Road signs tell you you are entering a different realm they are proud of.

Joking aside, we do have cultural differences, the Rhineland and Bavaria. All friendly banter, we mean no harm. But you will never ever find me on an Oktoberfest type of event, unless I am invited by a good friend for a private gathering. When it comes to bashing other German-speaking folk I go for the Prussians in that thing called Berlin. Ha!

notamermaid

• Haha 3

On 9/25/2024 at 2:56 AM, Canal archive said:

🤣 great never heard of “calf fries” good one.

The cream conundrum is all about the battle of two dairy producing and a few other bits and adjacent English Counties - Devon and Cornwall. The cream must of course be ‘clotted’ to start with.

If your leaning is towards Cornwall it’s jam first and if you’re an almost Devonian it’s cream first. This is serious stuff it can cause rifts between friends!

Oh cannot stand black or blood pudding and is it German white sausages?

Is clotted cream sweet?  Or, is it more like what we would call sour cream?  

I struggle with all sausage.  It has never been a favorite of mine.  Blood sausage and white sausage are definitely a no for me.  I think I will struggle with this when we sail down the Rhine.  😃

21 hours ago, notamermaid said:

It is September and the first real autumn storms have swept through the valley. The Christmas biscuits are in the shops. I am not ready for autumn, would have liked a longer summer this year. Must have something to do with the fact that I have not taken a holiday. Here I am eating vineyard peaches and sweeping the first autumn leaves out of the yard. Perhaps finally in October I will leave my country for a few days. River cruises - for me so near and yet so far. I was thinking that a short trip of a few hours on the Moselle might be nice. Have never seen the river beyond Winningen from a ship's view.

I really enjoyed standing on the river bank at Unkel on the Rhine and watching the "MS Theresia", a regional excursion boat, arrive. There are quite a few boats on the Rhine and you can sail short and long stretches of it. The winter sailings to see the Christmas markets and lights are appealing but the cold weather is sort of keeping me from trying one out.

notamermaid

@notamermaid  I think you may be on to something regarding no summer holiday (vacation) bringing Autumn earlier.  We have not traveled since June and I was thinking the same thing about the Fall.  

We will be sailing the Rhine for the Christmas markets next November.  I am thinking it will be quite cold.  Will there be snow?  we sail Nov. 20 - 27th.  

I’m sure you’ll have far more to choose from than just those two sausages. Clotted cream is definitely not sour cream it’s I suppose you could say neutral. It’s a lot thicker than other creams without being whipped so not airy. It is made up of about 55/60% buttercream about the most of all creams.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Canal archive said:

I’m sure you’ll have far more to choose from than just those two sausages. Clotted cream is definitely not sour cream it’s I suppose you could say neutral. It’s a lot thicker than other creams without being whipped so not airy. It is made up of about 55/60% buttercream about the most of all creams.

I will have to try clotted cream on scones or maybe it would be good on an American biscuit with some strawberry preserves.  Would that be the correct way to eat it?

24 minutes ago, screwsmcernst said:

@notamermaid  I think you may be on to something regarding no summer holiday (vacation) bringing Autumn earlier.  We have not traveled since June and I was thinking the same thing about the Fall.  

We will be sailing the Rhine for the Christmas markets next November.  I am thinking it will be quite cold.  Will there be snow?  we sail Nov. 20 - 27th.  

Glad to read that others can get this feeling.

We do not get much snow along the Rhine, the valley is too warm, especially in November. But it can happen in that month. A typical scenario is having snow in the Black Forest which you may well visit during an excursion and rain in the valley. Every year is a little different but as a general rule there is some snow for a week in December and then more snow in January and February.

notamermaid

2 hours ago, screwsmcernst said:

I will have to try clotted cream on scones or maybe it would be good on an American biscuit with some strawberry preserves.  Would that be the correct way to eat it?

Here's the problem:  you won't find fresh clotted cream in the US.  The stuff in jars is not the same!  Many years ago I found a tea shop in Toronto that had clotted cream flown in from England, but when I went back it was gone.  So you will have to wait until you visit the UK to try real clotted cream.

• Like 1

Jazz I’m not surprised Broadway has always considered itself a touch above the rest so would therefore expect that regardless of where you hailed from you would know. But! aha your American so not necessary. It’s a pretty little place and has some exquisite and pricey B & Bs. We stayed there many times before the Cheltenham meeting.

7 hours ago, Canal archive said:

But I do so like the Scottish version of the Trifle - Tipsy Laird now that is OTT but worth it once in a while!

You would probably like our Sticky Toffee Pudding then...our sauce is made with Jamieson's Irish Whiskey. We were looking for something for St. Patrick's Day one year...and now always make it that way. 😉

• Like 1

20 hours ago, screwsmcernst said:

Would that be the correct way to eat it?

We halve scones, butter them and then put jam on top.

Eat the two halves separately.

Couldn't put them back together, even if we wanted to, as they'd be too big to go in the mouth.

But I suppose it depends in how much the scone has risen in cooking -- or how big the mouth is!

If you're having them with clotted cream, try one half with cream first and jam on top, other half with jam first and clotted cream on top and decide which you prefer, the Devon way or the Cornish way.

image.jpeg.cd2cd5be3941b01504092189b23572f6.jpeg

My scones

• Like 2

Daisi now you’re talking sticky toffee pudding my absolute favourite but I must try it your way with Jamisons.

Yes sherry with an English Trifle and Scotch Whisky with Tipsy Laird and now evidently Irish whisky with Sticky Toffee pudding.

And no whichever way you use it Whisky wherever it comes from is never wasted.

2 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

But trifle always contains sherry surely!

The recipe DW started with called for Port – but even if it had said Sherry she would have made the substitute that elevates it 1000%:  Amaretto!  [You can call it Zuppa Inglese if you like...]

3 hours ago, pontac said:

Couldn't put them back together, even if we wanted to, as they'd be too big to go in the mouth.

But I suppose it depends in how much the scone has risen in cooking -- or how big the mouth is!

If you're having them with clotted cream, try one half with cream first and jam on top, other half with jam first and clotted cream on top and decide which you prefer, the Devon way or the Cornish way.

My scones

Good idea...I'm going to try it with the cream first and then the jam next time!!! 🙂

• Like 1

The Portuguese tend to add port to I calculated at least half of their food offerings. 
I suspect Amaretto added to anything makes it especially palatable. Although I’m not keen on beer added to anything although cider works with loads of things.

5 hours ago, Daisi said:

You would probably like our Sticky Toffee Pudding then...our sauce is made with Jamieson's Irish Whiskey. We were looking for something for St. Patrick's Day one year...and now always make it that way. 😉

Kids and loved this when we visited Scotland, top notch dessert.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pontac said:

My scones

That's the way we've always eaten them, just butter & jam. I usually leave the raisins out though, but will add currants if I have them on hand. For some reason, I love raisins on their own, but not in my food. 😉