River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

6 hours ago, capriccio said:

Coral - we lived in Rome in 1975-1976 (and again from 1982 - 1986) and I remember being excited when I finally first saw Barilla available in the United States.   Our current go to pasta, which we discovered on Amazon and Costco (much cheaper) when searching for pasta that can be delivered, is Garofalo made with 100% organic durum wheat semolina flour. Both places sell the 6 packages variety pack (2 each of penne ziti rigati, casarecce and gemelli) plus Amazon also carries linguine, spaghetti, pappardelli, and bucatini, etc. in packs.  Buon Appetito!

I actually bought that in March at Costco. It was one of my first COVID shopping trips and they had one 6 pack available. I then got to the check out and the 6 pack burst open but all 6 bags were fine. It is good pasta and I would buy again. My go to pasta is Colavita cavatappi. My Mom liked their long fusilli. I have to admit that probably became our preferred brand when my Mom was alive because it was the only brand I could find long fusilli. I buy it now because I like cavatappi and can't find that in other brands (I am not in an area with great Italian options). I did like that brand at Costco and would get again. Colavita is made with 100% durum wheat (not organic).

shopping.pngshopping-1.png

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 4:14 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

PS – It looks like Aldi's carries the Racine brand, not Oh.  I have found some Aldi's in NYC and will try to make an expedition after Thanksgiving to get one of theirs and compare them.  [What I do for you as your loyal host!  Such sacrifice!  Oh, the humanity!]

Made a special trip down the Bronx to Aldi's this afternoon.  They had Kringles in Almond and Raspberry;  bought almond (of course!).  Haven't tried it yet.  But I can report that it is quite different from the Kringles carried at Trader Joes.  The almond one has slivered almonds on top, which TJ's don't.  Also it is no bargain:  Aldi's charges only $4.99 but the Kringle is only 14 oz.  TJ's gives you 24 oz for $7.99, which is less per ounce.  Will come back tomorrow after breakfast with taste test.  😀

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Made a special trip down the Bronx to Aldi's this afternoon.  They had Kringles in Almond and Raspberry;  bought almond (of course!).  Haven't tried it yet.  But I can report that it is quite different from the Kringles carried at Trader Joes.  The almond one has slivered almonds on top, which TJ's don't.  Also it is no bargain:  Aldi's charges only $4.99 but the Kringle is only 14 oz.  TJ's gives you 24 oz for $7.99, which is less per ounce.  Will come back tomorrow after breakfast with taste test.  😀

Interesting! I have bought them at both but never at the same time. I know they are packaged differently. I live alone so end up throwing part of it out anyway (or else I will eat it all). So never realized the size. I did buy the cheesecake flavor at Trader Joes about 6 weeks ago. It is still in my freezer. Have you tried that one? I do like the raspberry and almond flavors. 

They are both Racine brand, right?

Edited - I just realized there is Racine brand and Oh Bakery, both in Racine, WI.

While I eat them, not enough to know the difference. Thanks for pointing them out! Sorry if I mislead anyone. I apparently am not an expert in Kringle's like I thought I was 🙂

I just found this article: https://www.wausaudailyherald.com/story/life/2016/05/18/love-kringles-then-head-racine/84542456/

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

Here's the report of my Kringle Tasting.  The Racine Kringle from Aldi's is just OK.  When Trader Joe's stops carrying Kringles after the holiday season, I might be willing to go to Aldi's for these.  [OTOH, Krispy Kreme has now opened a store in the Bronx, so I'm much more likely to get a dozen of those and gorge over 2-3 days!]  The O&H Kringle from Trader Joe's is the winner!  The dough is lighter [but stuffed with as much butter as it can hold] and I think the sugar icing is sweeter [no such thing as too sweet!]; the fillings are similar.  I also prefer the packing of the O&H because the waxed bag is reusable to keep the Kringle fresh over the course of the week that I work on it.

Now if only Trader Joe's didn't have those annoying lines to get in...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Here's the report of my Kringle Tasting.  The Racine Kringle from Aldi's is just OK.  When Trader Joe's stops carrying Kringles after the holiday season, I might be willing to go to Aldi's for these.  [OTOH, Krispy Kreme has now opened a store in the Bronx, so I'm much more likely to get a dozen of those and gorge over 2-3 days!]  The O&H Kringle from Trader Joe's is the winner!  The dough is lighter [but stuffed with as much butter as it can hold] and I think the sugar icing is sweeter [no such thing as too sweet!]; the fillings are similar.  I also prefer the packing of the O&H because the waxed bag is reusable to keep the Kringle fresh over the course of the week that I work on it.

Now if only Trader Joe's didn't have those annoying lines to get in...

Thanks for the report!

Aldi's doesn't always have these - sort of unpredictable. Though they always have them this time of the year.

IMO - KK must be eaten when warm 🙂

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

You know those little figurines called smoking mannequins? They are made of wood, produced in the German (and Czech) ore mountains and are part of the German Christmas traditions. This year their has virtually been no pre-Christmas trade in the shops as people cannot travel and there are no Christmas markets. Of course, things are available online, nevertheless they have been hard hit. And there is always the cheap and lower quality of China looming. But people buy the Erzgebirge stuff as an "investment" and heirloom to enjoy every winter. Look after the things and they will last more than one generation.

So, the losses are great but there has been an unexpected help by a virologist. One wood turner has created a figurine for these times and people say that figure (unintentionally) looks like Christian Drosten, a decorated - literally with honours by our President - virologist from Berlin. It has been an instant success: https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-hit-saxon-woodcarvers-struggle-to-rescue-christmas-season/a-55815451

Quite frankly, they need more help. If there is something worth saving in this crisis, one of those things is the woodcarving in the ore mountains.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Over the years we have collected several of these smoking figures, helped by husband who worked for a German company for many years. My porcelain collection which is still growing will be inherited by my daughters, luckily they like it. I did think it was to be stopped when Spode was bought by Portmeirion but Christmas Tree pattern carries on and on. The Scandinavian countries have their cute and wonderful Elves and Gnomes, what other Christmas specials do people collect? CA

Spode is Portmeirion? Did not know that. The Spode Christmas pattern is lovely and is actually a staple of online shops and catalogues that sell British things in Germany. I do not have any smoking figures and strangely do not like nutcracker figures. Oh, I so miss not being able to go English shops this year. Pigs in blankets, Wensleydale cheese with cranberries...

Yes, where are the great Christmas stuff collectors?

notamermaid

I collect the "old fashioned" St. Nicholas'.  Not to much into the American 'Santa', but love the old world ones.  I have a collection of various ones from all over Europe.

My parents collect the Nutcrackers from Germany as well as the Smokers.  They started purchasing them from our local Krist Kindl markt, and when we were on our cruise, we had one sent over for them.  

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

You know those little figurines called smoking mannequins? They are made of wood, produced in the German (and Czech) ore mountains and are part of the German Christmas traditions. This year their has virtually been no pre-Christmas trade in the shops as people cannot travel and there are no Christmas markets. Of course, things are available online, nevertheless they have been hard hit. And there is always the cheap and lower quality of China looming. But people buy the Erzgebirge stuff as an "investment" and heirloom to enjoy every winter. Look after the things and they will last more than one generation.

So, the losses are great but there has been an unexpected help by a virologist. One wood turner has created a figurine for these times and people say that figure (unintentionally) looks like Christian Drosten, a decorated - literally with honours by our President - virologist from Berlin. It has been an instant success: https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-hit-saxon-woodcarvers-struggle-to-rescue-christmas-season/a-55815451

Quite frankly, they need more help. If there is something worth saving in this crisis, one of those things is the woodcarving in the ore mountains.

notamermaid

Here is my smoker. My mom bought if for me on her Rhine cruise. 
As far as Christmas collections, we have about 50 Dept 56 buildings from various series, with my favorite being the North Pole. I also have a decent number of international Christmas ornaments that we have gathered over the years.

61E3FCC4-48C3-4E06-9B26-D96FC918B291.jpeg

• Like 4

It is all a struggle this year, even for those bringing gifts. Naturally, children are worried and wondering what is happening to Saint Nicolas, Santa Claus, Father Christmas and the Christkind (Christ child). Did you know that Saint Nicolas actually lives in Spain? I did not. The Belgium government knows the address, so they got in touch with him to see what is happening. They were able to give good news to Belgian children: https://www.dw.com/en/belgium-saint-nicholas-exempt-from-coronavirus-constraints/a-55582944

All is well and there will be no quarantine, so presents can come to the children tonight. He is busy there as it is his name day tomorrow. We others have to wait for 24 December and I do hope the Christkind is fine.

Before I read about Belgium I was actually convinced that they cannot get Covid-19 anyway. I am not so sure about the gnomes and elves but they are probably fine as well and quite frankly I am more worried about the reindeer, as cats can get it. I wonder if anybody knows?

We all need some magic in our lives...

Have a good day tomorrow, with or without a boot filled with goodies. 🎁

notamermaid

• Like 1

Love that notamermaid, they did the same thing in PEI Canada.  The province has been under very strict restrictions where unless you actually live on the Island, you are limited as to getting in.  They issued a statement earlier this week that Santa Claus had been OK'd to break the bubble and come in for the night.  Nice of the health care & Governments to think of the kids at this time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Before I read about Belgium I was actually convinced that they cannot get Covid-19 anyway. I am not so sure about the gnomes and elves but they are probably fine as well and quite frankly I am more worried about the reindeer, as cats can get it. I wonder if anybody knows?

They had a trusted CDC official in the US come out and say that Santa is immune to COVID.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/11/20/covid-19-and-christmas-santa-immune-coronavirus-fauci-says/3777871001/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Le canard, part deux.

Thawed the legs from the Thanksgiving duck. Salt and pepper, then a quick sear. 

Sautée some vegetables in the fat. Put the legs back on top, and cover partially with broth. Keep the skin dry.

20201206_145708.thumb.jpg.3c1128e4cc53bf1590d0a17b883cbcfb.jpg

Two hours at 300°F. Nice crispy skin, and delicious vegetables. And Syrah. 

20201206_171852.thumb.jpg.384b86061964e0486892a328a5ea2b3f.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Not Brussels Sprouts!  :classic_ohmy:

My reaction as well. I never like it when I find Brussels sprouts in the minestrone from my favourite Italian take away. I do eat Brussels sprouts, shortly boiled, still a little crisp and then tossed in with frying bacon lardons. Goes well with turkey.

@jpalbny  what are the other vegetables in the stew?

notamermaid

• Like 1

Love roasted Brussels sprouts. Hated them as a kid though. 

The idea of this duck leg recipe is that the broth level drops down below the vegetables as the dish cooks, braising then roasting the vegetables. I agree that overboiled mushy sprouts are not so tasty.

6 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I do eat Brussels sprouts, shortly boiled, still a little crisp and then tossed in with frying bacon lardons.

There is truth in that saying that 'everything tastes better with bacon!' 😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 2