does Carnival offer a transfer from DFW to Port of Galveston?

Out of Iowa

15 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Holy smoke! DFW is 4 hours away. Definitely fly into Houston if you can. Then you can get a transfer.

https://www.carnival.com/airport-transportation/airport-shuttles/galveston.aspx

Depends on the day of the week, houston I seem to almost always hit stop and go traffic, maybe it's better since covid. Had so much construction and delays. Of course I'm north of dallas so have to go thru downtown dallas and downtown Houston. 

Carnival shuttles from both DFW and Hobby. The road to Galveston can often be a nightmare with construction. I prefer to let someone else drive.

There alternative transportation options but who knows what will be running by the time cruising restarts.

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Carnival shuttles from both DFW and Hobby. The road to Galveston can often be a nightmare with construction. I prefer to let someone else drive.

There alternative transportation options but who knows what will be running by the time cruising restarts.

You mean IAH and Hobby.

40 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

You mean IAH and Hobby.

Yea I read thru his link and found nothing regarding dfw ... or I'd sign up. Save the cost of parking at the pier. I think at one time they picked up at valley view shopping centre in dallas, maybe 15 years ago. Dont remember it since.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Out of Iowa said:

If so, details please.

If not, without renting a car and driving, what is the best way to get to/from DFW?

This may be our next cruise (and first experience at Port of Galveston).

Take Southwest, DSM to HOU, then you can either Uber or shuttle to Galveston. Easiest and quickest way. 

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!  I was impressed when I read there is a Carnival shuttle from DFW...then I read the "oops, IAH..." bit.  

Hadn't considered Southwest out of Des Moines; that's a 3-hour drive and could involve 2 flight changes.  Perhaps with a mid-day, 1 stop (St. Louis) flight.  Otherwise, it makes for a very long day!

From our "home airport," a direct flight to Dallas, then fly to Houston with shuttle, Uber or transfer service...thinking aloud here.  Possibly a Galveston hotel with door-to-door service?  Who knows what all the options will be post-pandemic?

Now if only the voters of Key West hadn't closed their port to large cruise ships...

16 minutes ago, Out of Iowa said:

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!  I was impressed when I read there is a Carnival shuttle from DFW...then I read the "oops, IAH..." bit.  

Hadn't considered Southwest out of Des Moines; that's a 3-hour drive and could involve 2 flight changes.  Perhaps with a mid-day, 1 stop (St. Louis) flight.  Otherwise, it makes for a very long day!

From our "home airport," a direct flight to Dallas, then fly to Houston with shuttle, Uber or transfer service...thinking aloud here.  Possibly a Galveston hotel with door-to-door service?  Who knows what all the options will be post-pandemic?

Now if only the voters of Key West hadn't closed their port to large cruise ships...

Harbor house is next to the pier in Galveston and you can just walk over. There are a few that had shuttles like holiday inn, but usually the shuttles are slow and shared with a couple other hotels.

It's a 3 mile walk across the island from mid seawall blvd, which is where it beach is. Lol I walked once. It's very hard on your suitcase. I'd just pick a nice hotel on seawall and uber it. You dont want  a shuttle and some stranger tests positive and you are denied boarding like happened out of italy. 

Harbor house is very nice but usually kind of expensive, but you can watch your ship come in and wander down the historic strand, though it's mostly tourist shops now, but still historic and food for dinner within walking distance. I think I saw harbor house for 242, which is very good, it's often over $300. 

I've gone out of Galveston maybe 20 times and when I was younger we used to rent houses fall and spring with a group on the beach. 

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Yep mess this up all around. I was thinking IAH when I saw DFW. You don't want to end in DFW or Love/LUV(as in DAL). Get to one of the Houston airports. Hobby is closest, but not always the most convenient or cheapest.

Edited by BlerkOne

If DFW is your best option for flight selections, AA has frequent flights to HOU, price runs around $167.

OTOH, I played with pricing from various Iowa airports and, assuming you're looking at AA, don't see massive differences when tacking the DFW-HOU leg onto your trip (yea, I have too much time on my hands...)

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2020 at 2:51 PM, Out of Iowa said:

If you are 3 hours from Des Moines you might be just as close to Chicago Midway and it has direct flights to Hobby (HOU) via Southwest. Hobby is about 45 minutes from the Galveston Piers, IAH (much bigger airport) is North of downtown Houston and is about 1 hour and 15 minutes away depending on the traffic. 

On 11/25/2020 at 3:51 PM, Out of Iowa said:

If you would consider Key West, why not Los Angeles, Miami, Tampa or New York?  Since you are probably talking about 1000 miles to Galveston anyway, you would have a much better selection of itineraries and fares by being willing to fly a bit farther.