In Memory of Vt Cruiser....1 year ago...

hcat

One year ago at Thanksgiving time,  I had the sad duty to inform our Community that Vt Cruiser had passed suddenly in her sleep.... we were all stunned.

"Dear Cruise Critic Friends,

It is with a heavy heart that I  inform you  that  dear friend and Community favorite,

Vt Cruiser  passed away peacefully in her sleep last night.

As  many of you know, Vt Cruiser..Marilyn,  was one of the nicest, most interesting, brilliant,  helpful and fun-loving people we will ever meet in person or on line.  

Our Deepest Sympathy, Condolences and Prayers go out to her entire family, including her husband Henry with whom she shared life's journey including many wonderful cruises"

So many wonderful tributes were posted by Community members. Some were lucky enough to cruise with her, some just knew her from these boards. She is missed by all.....

Vt you are  remembered in our prayers..rest in peace!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Thank you. I completely missed this a year ago and was completely shocked a few months ago to discover she was gone. She was one of the great contributors to this site and her absence leaves a big hole. RIP. 

Her last posts were on 27 November and I was going to post a remembrance tomorrow, so thank you for remembering Marilyn aka vtcruising.

What a remarkable lady she was. The font of all knowledge regarding the Edge. Every question posed to her was kindly answered in a positive reassuring way.

I often wonder what she would have made of the Pandemic given her medical background.

May perpetual light shine upon her.

• Like 5

Every time I see someone post a question about any cabin on E-class, I remember her wealth of information. I often refer folks to her great cabin threads and use them myself when deciding which cabin or choose. 

mac_tlc

• Like 3

Hcat ~ what a nice post and remembrance.  I remember how excited and helpful Marilyn was when Edge first came out.  Her wealth of knowledge and excitement made it easy for the rest of us to get excited about our Edge cruises.  She certainly was special.  

• Like 3

She sounds like she was quite a cool lady!  As a once per year cruiser and always 12-14 days, my cruising style is different from many of the folks who cruise 30, 60, 90+ days.  However, that said, I have gotten so much information from that level of cruiser, sometimes but not always for intel on a certain ship, because like many, I know what I like.  It's the ports and excursions that have been immensely helpful to me.  I do not like ship sponsored (though may have no choice soon) have gotten names of private tour guides with true knowledge of their ports.  Really appreciate the ability to get and share information.

• Like 1

I loved reading her very detailed and informative posts.

I had to look up a certain post of hers because I remembered it struck me at the time what a super trooper cruiser she really was! ☺️

From her November 21, 2019 post in the "Pet Peeves" thread (in answering baseball caps worn in Luminae) she wrote:

"I also wore a baseball cap (an Edge cap) to cover lots of fresh stitches in my forehead/scalp, bruises and steri-strips on the bridge of my nose after a fall on the Edge gangway. We didn't have dinner at Luminae, but had lunch and breakfast there - also went to some beautiful new specialty restaurants. I felt like a loser wearing the hat into these beautiful venues, but always apologized to the Maitre 'D and lifted my hat to show them. They always said "Don't worry - keep the hat on!" 🙂

• Like 3

Thanks hcat for posting this.  As you know Jeff and I sailed with her on Edge a few times and became great friends,  I remember receiving your email a year ago and was shocked at her sudden death.  She was as kind in person as she was here on CC. We both miss you Marilyn. RIP

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

It’s now three years since Marilyn (aka vtcruising) sadly left us all too soon. 

Just thought I’d bump this thread up as I’m sure there are still a few of us who have fond memories of her enthusiasm for the Edge. She did an amazing job researching everything about the new ship. RIP

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I felt like we became internet buddies as we chatted about EDGE and enjoyed the excitement to the build-up of her being launched and our first cruises on her. When I read the sad news about her passing, I felt (and still feel) like I lost a friend despite never having met. I always think of her when I wander over to the Celebrity Boards and see her name on the top. Thoughts with her family.

• Like 5

Marilyn (vtcruising) was a lovely, generous person. She, along with Lloyd and all my fellow Edgies, contributed to the excitement leading up to the launch of Edge. I still miss seeing Marilyn’s posts here. When I took my first post-shutdown cruise last autumn, I thought of her as I visited all the spots we both loved. I patted Mr. Edge, strolled through the haunted forest numerous times, visited the enigmas (my name for the statues outside Blu) and toasted her memory with a Golden Margarita or two. My thoughts are with her family today💔🦋

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 4

There are posters on cruise critic who are novices…they ask an occasional question and then disappear into the ether until their next cruise.

Then there are chatterers  who join in debates, add their opinions to discussions and generally help to make the CC Celebrity board such a good read…

Then there are the real  ‘givers’….Those CC contributors  who will repeat information about their findings and experiences to each new query as if for the first time…Their enthusiasm shines through their posts, their experience enlightens any who read their responses to the posts of others.

vtcruising was the best of the best for sharing….

My heart goes out tonight to her family and friends…To have ‘known’ her on CC was a privilege…to have met with her in real life must have been such  a blessing…

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2