Mobility Scooter

nana2many

Do they allow Solax Genie type mobility scooters on tenders?  I know they don't allow traditional 3 or 4 wheel scooters, so my husband has to stay on the ship when there is only tender service to the port.  We are thinking of getting a Genie because it folds up to the size of a suitcase and we could carry onto the tender.  Hubby can walk a bit, so he could board the tender.  

What cruise line will you be on?    Every cruise line has information on their website about tendering and what is required for a passenger to be able to tender.    Most allow folding wheelchairs so it seems a folding scooter might be allowed, but check with your cruise line's Access Department to confirm this.   (You will need to contact your cruise line's Access Department in any event because they will want to know you are bringing a scooter.)  

An example from Royal Caribbean's website is here:  "In order to safely board most tenders, guests must be able to take steps and use a collapsible manual wheelchair."

On 11/26/2020 at 12:44 PM, nana2many said:

Do they allow Solax Genie type mobility scooters on tenders?  I know they don't allow traditional 3 or 4 wheel scooters, so my husband has to stay on the ship when there is only tender service to the port.  We are thinking of getting a Genie because it folds up to the size of a suitcase and we could carry onto the tender.  Hubby can walk a bit, so he could board the tender.  

Not all tenders are created equal, and so the answer to your question, can not be answered easily.  My wife's scooter with the battery is still about 60 lbs.  Can you handle that on a moving gangway?  What if you need to use steps?  Often times, you have steps to the tender.  Sometimes it is just a simple step across a platform.  So all these items need to be know to see if possible.  

• 1 month later...

I have been on tenders with my Travelscoot that is under 40 lbs with the battery attached.   If the sea is rough they probably won't allow scooters - too dangerous.   Mine does fold down but I didn't need to fold it to take it on the tender.   My husband was able to help as well.

• 2 weeks later...