Covid Passports

Trimone

2 hours ago, FredT said:

So you are going to shelter in place for that 1-2 years?   Cause thats what you are saying.....

Is it really? I don't shelter right now and I'm not vaccinated. The only difference in my life now compared to one year ago is that instead of driving my mother to the grocery store she give me a list and I shop for her.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

Is it really? I don't shelter right now and I'm not vaccinated. The only difference in my life now compared to one year ago is that instead of driving my mother to the grocery store she give me a list and I shop for her.  

First, you are presumably living in Sweden, one of the only countries in Europe that has not imposed mandatory (or strongly suggested restrictions on travel, gathering, or eating out.   

Having said THAT, "Shelter in place" were probably not the right words to use.  I was looking more at the "big" travel picture.  Perhaps I am mistaken, (There are so damn many conflicting reports out there) but everything recent that I have seen points to most countries (and many airlines and cruise lines) moving to requiring a vaccine in order to travel over the foreseeable future.   

21 minutes ago, FredT said:

First, you are presumably living in Sweden, one of the only countries in Europe that has not imposed mandatory (or strongly suggested restrictions on travel, gathering, or eating out.   

Who has told you that? We have strongly suggested restrictions on travel, gathering and eating out too.  In my daily life I don't need thoose things so I don't feel that I am sheltering.

26 minutes ago, FredT said:

Having said THAT, "Shelter in place" were probably not the right words to use.  I was looking more at the "big" travel picture.  Perhaps I am mistaken, (There are so damn many conflicting reports out there) but everything recent that I have seen points to most countries (and many airlines and cruise lines) moving to requiring a vaccine in order to travel over the foreseeable future.   

This I can understand and almost agree with. I'm not sure that lots of countries will require vaccine but it may depend on how it goes when most people are vaccinated. We will have to wait and see but it's absolutely possible that you are correct.

On 11/30/2020 at 8:24 AM, FredT said:

Dont want to take the vaccine?   Dont.   Stay home.   Dont go out to eat, dont travel, dont go to the doctors, dont see family or friends.....  just dont.   By your figuring, you "may" have an answer in 2-3 years and can come out of your basement.   Not me.    I'll pull out my old "yellow card" and get the vaccine and go back to living.   

What??? Those who are scared should hide in their basement, not the others. Living is about taking chances, not hiding.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FredT said:

So you are going to shelter in place for that 1-2 years?   Cause thats what you are saying.....

I guarantee you that those of us who are not getting the vaccine will not be sheltering in place. At least I know I won't!! We did three weeks hiking in Glacier National park two years ago and last year we did an equal time in Mt. Rainier and Olympic National Park. There is SOOOO much to see and do in the USA and we are still young enough to climb mountains. 

Right now, the only thing different in my daily life is not being able to eat in restaurants, so we get carry out and cook more here at home. Sure I'll miss  the annual TSO concert this Christmas, but they are airing it on TV on the 18th. Thanksgiving celebration was quiet, but we zoomed through dinner. We'll do the same during Christmas. Since so many of our daily activities include being outside (golf, boating, hiking, cross country skiing), this just hasn't changed my overall daily life much. Certainly not enough to shelter in place. 

We're spending 4 months in Hawaii this winter due to Covid. Trying to make lemonade from the Covid situation since our big South America/Antarctica adventure was cancelled. Right now I only need a negative test 72 hours before arrival in HI. I will admit, I'm slightly concerned that getting home might require the vaccine. Since we won't be coming home until April I accept there is a chance airlines will require vaccination to travel by then. At which point, I'll obviously get the vaccine. But otherwise, I"m in no hurry. I'm a young 50, DH is a young 60, and we are both in excellent health overall (no diabetics, high blood pressure, etc...). I am very thankful for that. If I were in a high risk population I may think differently. But shelter in place? Not a chance. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I guarantee you that those of us who are not getting the vaccine will not be sheltering in place. At least I know I won't!! We did three weeks hiking in Glacier National park two years ago and last year we did an equal time in Mt. Rainier and Olympic National Park. There is SOOOO much to see and do in the USA and we are still young enough to climb mountains. 

Right now, the only thing different in my daily life is not being able to eat in restaurants, so we get carry out and cook more here at home. Sure I'll miss  the annual TSO concert this Christmas, but they are airing it on TV on the 18th. Thanksgiving celebration was quiet, but we zoomed through dinner. We'll do the same during Christmas. Since so many of our daily activities include being outside (golf, boating, hiking, cross country skiing), this just hasn't changed my overall daily life much. Certainly not enough to shelter in place. 

We're spending 4 months in Hawaii this winter due to Covid. Trying to make lemonade from the Covid situation since our big South America/Antarctica adventure was cancelled. Right now I only need a negative test 72 hours before arrival in HI. I will admit, I'm slightly concerned that getting home might require the vaccine. Since we won't be coming home until April I accept there is a chance airlines will require vaccination to travel by then. At which point, I'll obviously get the vaccine. But otherwise, I"m in no hurry. I'm a young 50, DH is a young 60, and we are both in excellent health overall (no diabetics, high blood pressure, etc...). I am very thankful for that. If I were in a high risk population I may think differently. But shelter in place? Not a chance. 

I envy you're life style,  but you have to admit,  not everyone can spend 4 months in Hawaii,  or have a big South America/Antarctica adventure.   For most of us,  we just want to get back to our day to day living,  and without a vaccine,  I don't see how that is possible. 

• Like 2

On 11/30/2020 at 9:59 AM, PTC DAWG said:

“We’re from the Government and we’re here to help you”

That’s not a good thing.

Right on. Nope, not now not ever. When will the next "crisis"  or "pandemic" hit and what will be the new terms for all of us to "go back to normal" or to get our "bailout" from forced business closures or to travel again?   There is still plenty of other bacterial and virus infections one can still catch on a cruise.

• Like 2

On 11/30/2020 at 1:18 AM, bssc said:

When we were kids we had to carry about our immunization records to get into most countries.  Mine was big and thick.  And we had to get some shots, like cholera, every six months.  I wonder how much of that will be coming back.

20201027_134626.jpg

I remember this, too!  We were a military family and lived abroad.  I thought we showed our shot records and passports when entering countries in what is now the EU?  Looks like you were a State Dept Kid?  

• Like 1

Well, I hope the naysayers are all retired or work for the government. Many private employers are considering making the vaccine a condition of employment. So it is not just leisure travel but food  and a roof over the head consideration.

Edited by IrieBajan54
correction
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, RunBikeCruiseDC said:

I remember this, too!  We were a military family and lived abroad.  I thought we showed our shot records and passports when entering countries in what is now the EU?  Looks like you were a State Dept Kid?  

Yes, Foreign Service Brat.  We had to show that book every time we entered a country in Asia too.  And getting a bunch of shots every six months was normal.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IrieBajan54 said:

Well, I hope the naysayers are all retired or work for the government. Many private employers are considering making the vaccine a condition of employment. So it is not just leisure travel but food  and a roof over the head consideration.

Outside of the US bubble the rest of the world may not look at it the same way, certainly not under UK and EU law. 

There was a story on the news last night regarding this "COVID Passport" concept.  CLEAR, the company that is responsible for pre-clearing people to bypass security lines at sports stadiums and other venues, is developing an app that would do this, or is adding COVID status to an existing app.  The idea is that somehow your status is loaded in the app, after verification, you can then show the loaded app to security personnel and all they see is green or red, to indicate you're good or not.

Looks like it's not new information, this article is from early October - https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-tips/coronavirus-test-results-clear-health-pass

Here's the NBC Nightly News show with the info on the app, it was at 9 minutes - https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news-netcast/video/nightly-news-full-broadcast-december-7th-97299525771

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hallux said:

There was a story on the news last night regarding this "COVID Passport" concept.  CLEAR, the company that is responsible for pre-clearing people to bypass security lines at sports stadiums and other venues, is developing an app that would do this, or is adding COVID status to an existing app.  The idea is that somehow your status is loaded in the app, after verification, you can then show the loaded app to security personnel and all they see is green or red, to indicate you're good or not.

Was it the "Safe Travels App"?? If so, Hawaii is already piloting the app, or at least something very similar.  I have the app downloaded on my phone. I need to get a covid test within 72 hours of boarding the last leg of my flight to Maui. The results of the test are uploaded to the app and I show that to airport screening. I imagine adding a covid vaccine tab instead of a negative covid test tab would be easy enough. Alaska airlines has even taken it a step farther. You show the app pre-boarding and in exchange you are given a yellow arm bracelet to wear. It seems a bit dystopian to me, but I'm obviously in the minority.

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Was it the "Safe Travels App"?? If so, Hawaii is already piloting the app, or at least something very similar.  I have the app downloaded on my phone. I need to get a covid test within 72 hours of boarding the last leg of my flight to Maui. The results of the test are uploaded to the app and I show that to airport screening. I imagine adding a covid vaccine tab instead of a negative covid test tab would be easy enough. Alaska airlines has even taken it a step farther. You show the app pre-boarding and in exchange you are given a yellow arm bracelet to wear. It seems a bit dystopian to me, but I'm obviously in the minority.

I am not happy about the yellow arm bracelet, as it reminds me of a yellow star used as an identifier. Perhaps not to some or most people but I am not fan. Yes, I know we all wear bracelets at amusement parks and on the ship but to me it has "happy meaning" and not one saying you have been cleared because you took an inoculation. 

• Like 3

On 12/6/2020 at 1:06 PM, kirtihk said:

What??? Those who are scared should hide in their basement, not the others. Living is about taking chances, not hiding.

Why do we have to hide in our basements? What if our house is on a slab? Can I go to my living room?

what about the kitchen? Or do I need someone to feed my through the basement window?

Sorry for the sarcasm but I think if I hear the phrase "hide in the basement" one more time I will scream.

There is a very large distance between hiding in a basement and cruising, traveling and acting like there is no pandemic. If people would take some responsibility and realize that their actions affect others, and would take the appropriate precautions we would all be back to traveling by now.

the selfishness that this pandemic has brought out in people is staggering.

Rant over!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, electro said:

There is a very large distance between hiding in a basement and cruising, traveling and acting like there is no pandemic. If people would take some responsibility and realize that their actions affect others, and would take the appropriate precautions we would all be back to traveling by now.

I respectfully disagree. I don't believe anything we (society) could do (or should have done) would have gotten us back to traveling by now, especially cruising.  This virus is going to run it's course. Unfortunately, we can't control everything. 

I understand that it is human nature to want someone/something to blame, but by the time we heard about Diamond Princess it was simply too late to stop it the unleashed beast. Certainly, we could have done a better job of mitigation, but traveling by now? Not a chance (IMO of course). 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Was it the "Safe Travels App"??

I don't know.  I don't think they mentioned it by name but they showed a couple different screens.  I haven't used the app, but if you have you could watch the video and compare...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I respectfully disagree. I don't believe anything we (society) could do (or should have done) would have gotten us back to traveling by now, especially cruising.  This virus is going to run it's course. Unfortunately, we can't control everything. 

I understand that it is human nature to want someone/something to blame, but by the time we heard about Diamond Princess it was simply too late to stop it the unleashed beast. Certainly, we could have done a better job of mitigation, but traveling by now? Not a chance (IMO of course). 

You're probably right about travel but it could be a lot better than it is.  It could have been handled much better with a lot less sickness and loss of life.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, electro said:

You're probably right about travel but it could be a lot better than it is.  It could have been handled much better with a lot less sickness and loss of life.

It is still not being handled well.  This was on MSN.com today.

158 arrested at illegal party in Los Angeles County

More than 150 people were arrested last weekend at an illegal party in Los Angeles County, where coronavirus cases are surging, authorities said. The raid Saturday night in Palmdale came after Sheriff Alex Villanueva vowed to crack down on “super-spreader events.” 

A statement from the sheriff’s office said 158 people were arrested, adding that such parties typically involve drugs, alcohol, weapons, minors and prostitution. Sheriff’s Lt. Paul Zarris told KTTV deputies received a tip about the party and that people inside were not wearing masks.

Sheriff’s officials said they want to send a message to other potential party promoters and attendees. “We just want to make sure that this doesn’t happen, especially in our area,” Zarris said.