San Francisco Hotels

grampsagain

San Francisco has a LOT of hotels....and all over the place...and in all price ranges.  And everyone has a different opinion as to the "best place to stay".  

As a cruiser, I have certain criteria I use.  First, convenience and transportation.  Do NOT rent a car in San Francisco.  Driving is difficult for the uninitiated--steep hills, blind intersections, one-way roads...and, worst of all, very little parking...and what there is can be EXPENSIVE.  Besides, in the City, you really don't need a car...buses, taxis, Ubers, cable cars and BART make it really easy to get around.  But, even with that, my preference would be to stay somewhere where you can walk to most places you'd want to go.  

The Fisherman's Wharf area is very touristy...but also very convenient to the cruise terminal and to a lot of attractions (Alcatraz and city tours, Cable Cars and various other attractions) and there are lot of restaurants there (mostly seafood) and a short Uber ride (or long walk away) there are great Italian eateries in the adjacent (to the South) "North Beach" area and trendy bars and cafes in the adjacent (to the West) Marina District...and not far from Chinatown...In the Wharf area, there are several nice large chain hotels...A Marriott, a Hyatt Centric, a couple of Holiday Inns, plus a couple of independents that used to be chain hotels.  Also, for a bit less money, take a look at this local chain  which also has several properties in the Marina district--not that fancy, but nice:

Columbus Motor Inn, San Francisco - Sister Properties

• Like 3

I don't get to San Francisco very often.  When I do, I prefer to stay in the Fisherman's Wharf area.  My most recent stay was at the Marriott Fisherman's Wharf.  On a previous stay, there was a Cable Car stop at an entrance to the hotel.  Don't accurately recall which hotel that was; I think it was a Sheraton, but I am not sure.

Steve's post is very good. I am a big fan of the Columbus Motor Inn and its sister properties. The only questions I would ask are what is your nightly budget and what are you looking for in a hotel? I prefer Union Square and the Embarcadero as places to stay when in the City as a tourist. But SF is usually a very expensive city, which is why the Columbus Motor Inn and friends are great choices; the price is great.

• 1 month later...

Pre-Covid we did 3-4 long weekends a year in The City.  We would usually try St Francis, Hilton Union Square, or Hilton Financial District in that order.  Mostly depended on the price.  Hilton Union Sq has a great roof top bar with killer views of the city.  SF is compact and an easy UBER ride to anyplace you might want to go.  I'm not a fan of Fisherman's Wharf area as it's to touristy.