Jump to content

More details on the CDC mandate and return to sailing


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

The article says this is the "likely" thing they will do.  I can't see them continuing a cruise if an outbreak (meaning more than one as the article states) occurs, but canceling everything and quarantining the whole ship at just one case does seem stupid.  Even colleges set aside blocks of rooms for quarantine now - cruise ships could do the same, I would think.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The saga continues with the CDC. They are dictators of the cruise industry. They have NO clue on how to handle this whole cruising thing. Seems like its getting worse then better. Sad

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pe4all said:

The article says this is the "likely" thing they will do.  I can't see them continuing a cruise if an outbreak (meaning more than one as the article states) occurs, but canceling everything and quarantining the whole ship at just one case does seem stupid.  Even colleges set aside blocks of rooms for quarantine now - cruise ships could do the same, I would think.

Seems overly punitive and anti cruise driven to me.  They continue to underachieve.  Very, very disappointing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Seems overly punitive and anti cruise driven to me.  They continue to underachieve.  Very, very disappointing. 

Somtimes i wonder what the CDC has against the cruise industry? Maybe someone from the CDC got left at the peir in Belieze or something. 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is more and more support for a vaccine being required to board when it's available. For those people who want to argue that if I'm vaccinated what do I care if someone else isn't - answer being this. If one covid case gets onboard, my vacation is over, whether or not I had the vaccine. The cruise lines won't have another choice. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

This is more and more support for a vaccine being required to board when it's available. For those people who want to argue that if I'm vaccinated what do I care if someone else isn't - answer being this. If one covid case gets onboard, my vacation is over, whether or not I had the vaccine. The cruise lines won't have another choice. 

Good point, because no vaccine is 100% effective. 90-95% sounds great to us, but the CDC sees 90-95% as a 5-10% chance someone could be affected on the cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

Somtimes i wonder what the CDC has against the cruise industry? Maybe someone from the CDC got left at the peir in Belieze or something. 😀

Lol, adorable. There’s plenty for the CDC to have against the cruise industry. It isn’t as glam as cruise fans think it is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Lol, adorable. There’s plenty for the CDC to have against the cruise industry. It isn’t as glam as cruise fans think it is. 

Glam is never the term I would use unless you are cruising the exclusive smaller high dollar ships.

Edited by Butterbean1000
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Lol, adorable. There’s plenty for the CDC to have against the cruise industry. It isn’t as glam as cruise fans think it is. 

It is not what they have or do not have.  Their job is not to look for blame but solve the problem.  Whatever cruise lines errors were early on and occurred at the same approximate time as political officials (high level officials) had just told the people of New York to continue to live their lives as normal.  If the CDC is focused on 8 months ago, we are all lost if left to them.  Utter, dismal failure.  Miscommunications, change of advice in the same day and on and on.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread is going on par with most others. You have 2 different "sides" with polar opposite  opinions . 

 

And guess what at the at the end of the day ( arguments) what either side says/believes won't change how the CDC operates OR what their end goal is.

 

It's like trying to move a mountain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

There's no reason that should be necessary with testing today. And we aren't even talking about today. We're talking about a couple months from now. If someone staying in a hotel comes up positive are they going to quarantine everyone in the hotel? No. I've had about 10 hotel stays in the past six months. For the most part hotels are going about their normal business. The double-standard is ridiculous.  

 

What hotels did you sleep in where you woke up in a different country?

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

There's no reason that should be necessary with testing today. And we aren't even talking about today. We're talking about a couple months from now. If someone staying in a hotel comes up positive are they going to quarantine everyone in the hotel? No. I've had about 10 hotel stays in the past six months. For the most part hotels are going about their normal business. The double-standard is ridiculous.  

Yup, it does seem like a double standard 🤔 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone needs to realize that flying, going to a theme park, staying in a hotel, and etc  is DIFFERENT than taking a cruise.....       on a cruise you are struck on the ship for 3 to 7 days or more with SAME PEOPLE 

Edited by Cruiseboy06
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Wow.  How am I the problem? I can only speak from my experience.  I had the flu.  I wear masks everywhere.  I stay away from crowds. I know people are dying.  People die every year from the flu,  covid or not. Look up the breakdown of the mortality statistics on the CDC website.  The majority of deaths are people with underlying health problems.  Does this make it less tragic? Of course not. That is not what I was saying at all. 

Well said 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

Somtimes i wonder what the CDC has against the cruise industry? Maybe someone from the CDC got left at the peir in Belieze or something. 😀

 

The ultimate pier runner's revenge.. 😏

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

 

If I get on a ship today and someone tests positive tonight we're all quarantined. That has nothing to do with other countries.

and how in the world do you quarantine a shipload of passengers and crew? The short answer is you can't. The article is nonsensical.

Edited by BlerkOne
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

 

Sadly a middle aged cruiser I knew passed away from covid a few days ago. No diabetes or other commonly identified risk factor. It was not the first covid fatality I knew and I doubt it will be the last.

 

I know survivors, too, but am concerned that they may now have increased risk of throwing a clot or some other event in a few months or years, because of covid. If they didn't have underlying health problems before, I think there is a good chance they do now.

Fair enough. First, sorry you've lost friends.  But addressing your other concerns, I smoked years ago. My chances of lung cancer or heart disease is higher than those who never smoked.  So now that I've had covid, you're saying I have a risk of blood clots. This is the first I've heard that. I'll have to investigate it.  But I've had a hip replacement so my chances of getting blood clots from that have also increased.  

 

I'll just leave it with this. If you feel like you're getting sick, keep your happy butt at home and quarantine.  Get tested.  And for heaven's sake, stop hoarding TP!! (Sorry,  I couldn't resist)

Edited by Butterbean1000
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

and how in the world do you quarantine a shipload of passengers and crew? The short answer is you can't. The article is nonsensical.

 

I think we saw it earlier this year. They made everyone stay in their rooms.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...