Which itinerary? ...

gogiantsfan29

Since my 2021 will be cancelled being a 9 night .  I am going to rebook for 2022 7 night either Southbound or Northbound .  Any Thoughts which would you Pick1-4?

Thanks..

1.   Radiance of the Seas - RCC May 27th

Juneau 9-9pm

Skagway 7am -5pm

Haines 7pm-11pm

Icy Point - 6:30am  - 3pm

Ketchikan 9am - 6pm

2. Radiance of the Seas May 20th

Ketchikan 6am to 4pm

Sitka 8am to 5pm

Juneau 7am to 9:30pm

Skagway 7am to 5pm

3. Radiance of the Seas- June 3

Juneau 1-8pm

Icy Point 8am -6pm

Skagway 7am -5pm

Sitka 8am - 5pm

4.Celebrity Millennium - May 20th/June 3

Juneau 9 - 9pm

Skagway 7am - 8-30pm

Icy Point  6:30 - 3pm

Ketchikan 9:00 - 6pm

5.Celebrity Millennium - May 27th

Ketchikan 7-3pm

Icy Strait Point  9am - 7pm

Juneau  7am - 9:30pm

Skagway 7am - 4pm

48 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

IMHO, none since none of those itineraries go to Glacier Bay.

I knew Glacier Bay was not on the list.  I am torn about it being a must have or not. We have been to Norway and have done fjords cruise and see glaciers up close. My husband hates sea days and rather have another stop.  We love hiking, kayaking, boating etc.  I see there is one more that I can consider if I give up a port. 

May 30 - NCL Cruise

Ketchikan 7-4pm

Skagway - 8 to 8pm

Juneau  11 to 9pm

Glacier Bay and Hubbard Bay cruising 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gogiantsfan29 said:

I knew Glacier Bay was not on the list.  I am torn about it being a must have or not. We have been to Norway and have done fjords cruise and see glaciers up close. My husband hates sea days and rather have another stop.  We love hiking, kayaking, boating etc.  I see there is one more that I can consider if I give up a port. 

May 30 - NCL Cruise

Ketchikan 7-4pm

Skagway - 8 to 8pm

Juneau  11 to 9pm

Glacier Bay and Hubbard Bay cruising 

You don't list any glacier days in your first post.

I have done Alaska many times and I have done Norway. I think Glacier Bay is worth seeing if you have not been. If you can find an itinerary with both GB and Hubbard, that is a winner. A lot of times if you don't have 2 glacier days, you just get an extra sea day - might as well get glacier days.

5 minutes ago, Coral said:

You don't list any glacier days in your first post.

I have done Alaska many times and I have done Norway. I think Glacier Bay is worth seeing if you have not been. If you can find an itinerary with both GB and Hubbard, that is a winner. A lot of times if you don't have 2 glacier days, you just get an extra sea day - might as well get glacier days.

Thanks. Sorry all the other cruises had Hubbard only not Glacier.  The NCL cruise you lose a port day with only 3 stops instead with the others which have 4.  

9 hours ago, gogiantsfan29 said:

Thanks. Sorry all the other cruises had Hubbard only not Glacier.  The NCL cruise you lose a port day with only 3 stops instead with the others which have 4.  

Hubbard Glacier is often blocked early in the season. Nice to have 2 glacier days if you miss Hubbard. I didn't find the glaciers in Norway similar to Alaska at all.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

The debate about which is preferable may be about ready to occur:  Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier or College Fjord.  

I chose your first itinerary.  If it also includes Hubbard Glacier, I won't change my opinion.  

However, the most recent NCL itinerary that you posted which includes Hubbard and Glacier Bay:  yes, that is a very good one in my opinion.  July/August, 2019, I purposely chose the Southbound itinerary of Coral Princess from Whittier to Vancouver because of the visit to both.  But, as another poster has pointed out, early season ice can make it "iffy" for an "up close" view of Hubbard Glacier.

An important plus for a visit to Glacier Bay is having the NPS Rangers come aboard for an educational as well as a scenic experience.  Sometimes, a few of the Native Alaskans will join them and set up displays as well as offer some of their crafts for sale.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, gogiantsfan29 said:

My husband hates sea days and rather have another stop. 

When you consider all of the covid protocols that will be in place next year your husband may appreciate a couple extra glacier days of scenic viewing.  If they implement the bubble and only allow you to book excursions through the ship it will be very inconvenient and really put a damper on exploring ports.  You need to consider the possibility that they will not allow you off the ship on your own.  Embrace those glacier days.

2 hours ago, Glaciers said:

When you consider all of the covid protocols that will be in place next year your husband may appreciate a couple extra glacier days of scenic viewing.  If they implement the bubble and only allow you to book excursions through the ship it will be very inconvenient and really put a damper on exploring ports.  You need to consider the possibility that they will not allow you off the ship on your own.  Embrace those glacier days.

Thanks but we are canceling our 2021 and going to do it 2022 because of the protocols and yes we like to do our own excursions .  He wants more stops so I guess I am back to the drawing board.. 

We were also supposed to be on the 2021 cruise and because we are doing the transpacific crossing beforehand we have no choice of dates.
We are doing 1 definite Alaskan cruise on the Solstice which leaves on May 6 and has the itinerary
Seattle
Ketchikan
Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier (of which I plan on doing the up close tour of rather than staying on the ship)
Juneau
Skagway
Victoria
arriving back in Seattle on 13 May

I am trying to convince my husband to add another cruise as we originally planned to have 2 weeks in Alaska/US mainland/Canadian ports in any case

Which option would you suggest knowing that we are early in the season and these are locked in dates and we have done the previous cruise.   We are sticking with Celebrity as we have a fair bit of FCC as we have had lots of cruises cancelled and it would be the 4th leg of the B2B2B2B that was originally planned but swapping ships

Millennium  13 May leaving Vancouver (so a few hours to get from one port to another on the day of docking)
Ketchikan
Icy Strait Point
Juneau
Skagway
Hubbard Glacier
Seward    possibly adding some land base options afterwards as we are Australian and this is a big trip for us

Eclipse   15 May leaving Vancouver (so some time between to explore both Seattle and Vancouver as we have never been to the US or Canada at all)
Sitka
Hubbard Glacier
Juneau
Ketchikan

On 12/3/2020 at 11:32 PM, Suzi66 said:

We were also supposed to be on the 2021 cruise and because we are doing the transpacific crossing beforehand we have no choice of dates.
We are doing 1 definite Alaskan cruise on the Solstice which leaves on May 6 and has the itinerary
Seattle
Ketchikan
Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier (of which I plan on doing the up close tour of rather than staying on the ship)
Juneau
Skagway
Victoria

I am trying to convince my husband to add another cruise as we originally planned to have 2 weeks in Alaska/US mainland/Canadian ports in any case

Which option would you suggest knowing that we are early in the season and these are locked in dates and we have done the previous cruise.   We are sticking with Celebrity as we have a fair bit of FCC as we have had lots of cruises cancelled and it would be the 4th leg of the B2B2B2B that was originally planned but swapping ships

Millennium  13 May leaving Vancouver (so a few hours to get from one port to another on the day of docking)
Ketchikan
Icy Strait Point
Juneau
Skagway
Hubbard Glacier
Seward    possibly adding some land base options afterwards as we are Australian and this is a big trip for us

Eclipse   15 May leaving Vancouver (so some time between to explore both Seattle and Vancouver as we have never been to the US or Canada at all)
Sitka
Hubbard Glacier
Juneau
Ketchikan

Hubbard glacier can be missed early in the season. I would look beyond Celebrity.

On 12/4/2020 at 12:32 AM, Suzi66 said:

Seattle
Ketchikan
Juneau
Skagway
Victoria

Ketchikan
Icy Strait Point
Juneau
Skagway
Hubbard Glacier

Sitka
Hubbard Glacier
Juneau
Ketchikan

Not an expert, but getting from Seattle to Vancouver on the same day could be problematic.  I guess you'd have to disembark, get to the airport, get a flight to Vancouver, then transfer to the ship.  And don't forget, that you will be crossing the US/Canada border and you will have more security checks etc. than a domestic flight.  That is a lot to happen in a short window if flight time does not line up and there are no unexpected delays.  What happens if you miss your flight from Seattle or it is cancelled or delayed?  Besides, Vancouver is a great place to visit, spend a few days.

Don't want to be too negative, but please double check your timing before booking a second cruise on the same day as the first cruise ends in a different country.

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

Not an expert, but getting from Seattle to Vancouver on the same day could be problematic.  I guess you'd have to disembark, get to the airport, get a flight to Vancouver, then transfer to the ship.  And don't forget, that you will be crossing the US/Canada border and you will have more security checks etc. than a domestic flight.  That is a lot to happen in a short window if flight time does not line up and there are no unexpected delays.  What happens if you miss your flight from Seattle or it is cancelled or delayed?  Besides, Vancouver is a great place to visit, spend a few days.

Don't want to be too negative, but please double check your timing before booking a second cruise on the same day as the first cruise ends in a different country.

There are buses. Sometimes offered by the cruise line. Though I have never done it from one cruise to another Seattle/Vancouver. I have seen it for those who fly into Seattle for a cruise in Vancouver or end in Vancouver with flights in Seattle. Best to check with cruise line.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Suzie66:

4 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

but please double check your timing before booking a second cruise on the same day as the first cruise ends in a different country.

Absolutely!  While ships normally arrive on time, a late arrival at your disembarkation port could really cause you issues.

3 hours ago, Coral said:

There are buses. Sometimes offered by the cruise line. Though I have never done it from one cruise to another Seattle/Vancouver. I have seen it for those who fly into Seattle for a cruise in Vancouver or end in Vancouver with flights in Seattle. Best to check with cruise line.

If there is a bus transfer from one port to the other offered by the cruise line, I would book that rather than trying to fly.  If there are problems getting to the embarkation port on schedule, if the cruise line knows they have a bus load of guests en route, it is more likely that the ship's departure will be delayed.  At least for a reasonable period of time.

5 hours ago, Coral said:

I would look beyond Celebrity.

I second this suggestion.  If you like Celebrity, check what Holland America Line or Princess is offering.  

The reason we are sticking with Celebrity is because we are Lifting and Shifting and we have also had 6 cruises cancelled and so have quite a bit of FCC that needs to be applied.

I've been looking and I think I am happier with the Eclipse dates as it gives us 2 days to get to Vancouver the ship.   I do know about delays.   We live 1000km away from Sydney, what should be a simple two one hour flights.  6 years ago, so early our summer, on a very hot day, we left home at 5.30 am for a 6.30 flight.  Something was wrong with the plane and we were delayed by hours.   Qantas kindly paid the extra luggage fees and for our flights on another line to get us to Melbourne on a midday flight, but because we were on a different line the Qantas people weren't going to let us board the next plane to Sydney as luggage closed 5 mins before, even though our home town had organised it.   Long story short, we were the last people to board the ship.   We will never travel on the same day again to board.

The reason I was looking at the Millennium itinerary was for the Seward/Anchorage end and extending our time there.

I don't like with the Solstice trip that we have lots of evening visits  and at least with the other two we could have extra time in Juneau and Ketchikan as well as some different stops as well.

Glaciers were important to me, so I would try to pick  a cruise with two glaciers, but if they are not a big priority to you and you would rather have another port day, then stick with your original options.I am going in the future with family members who don't really care about the glaciers but I'm working on including Glacier Bay because I think they will love it. Is anything else important to you to help narrow down the Sitka, Haines, or Ketchikan options? BTW, Princess has a roundtrip that incluces Glacier Bay and 4 ports.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Seward was one of my favorites and I loved our 2 day stay there pre-cruise. If you like outdoor adventure ice climbing at exit glacier was one of my favorite vacation activities ever. Finding a cruise that either starts or ends in Seward would be my choice. 

We did the Millenium southbound late June 2018.  The ports and port times were perfect and the price was more resonable than other lines we looked at.  Before the cruise, I was beating myself up over the fact that we weren't going to Glacier Bay, but we decided to keep our plans.

We spent a few days before the cruise DIY to Denali and spent a few days in Seward. Also spent a few days after the cruise in Vancouver and Seattle.  It was the trip of a lifetime and we couldn't be more thrilled.  We were very lucky and were able to get within 4/10 mile of Hubbard Glacier, which was spectacular! I realize that doesn't happen all the time, but we also did a Major Marine cruise out of Seward and were able to see many (calving) glaciers there, too.

I imagine Glacier Bay is spectacular, but there's so much more to experience in Alaska! Pick the best itinerary for you and go with it.  We also really enjoyed the size of the Millenium. We only booked an ocean view (in order to spluge on excursions) and spent most of our time on deck.

• Like 1