Has construction begun on the Carnival Celebration?

GROUPTRAVEL

Hi,

Looking to reschedule my Mardi Gras February 2021 to Celebration February 2023.  There's so much uncertainty that it's possible cruising will not become "more" normal until 2022 when vaccinations/therapeutics are more available.  Any updates on the construction progress for the new ship?  Just my luck, Carnival will scrap plans for this ship and I'll be stuck rescheduling ANOTHER cruise 🙂

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

I've certainly seen no publicity.  They usually have a to-do about laying the keel, and I've not come across anything.  Just in passing, I don't know if I've heard whether Mardi Gras is finished being finished?  I don't think Carnival has taken possession? have they?

Somehow, news of this ship completely escaped me.  I find it odd rolling out the same names of old ships.  I have to look, but isn't the original Celebration still sailing as the Grand Celebration?

I guess she is also a sister ship to the Mardi Gras, without the benefit of any fixes being she hasn't rolled out yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, St.Pete said:

Somehow, news of this ship completely escaped me.  I find it odd rolling out the same names of old ships.  I have to look, but isn't the original Celebration still sailing as the Grand Celebration?

I guess she is also a sister ship to the Mardi Gras, without the benefit of any fixes being she hasn't rolled out yet.

Bahamas Paradise has sold the original Celebration. The ship's AIS was showing a destination in India around the time the sale was announced, and there are reports she is to be beached for scrapping in early January.

• Like 1

I haven't seen any published reports about Celebration's construction status either which makes me think it can be a candidate for cancellation for financial reasons.  My Mardi Gras cruise was officially cancelled this AM.  Perhaps I'll reschedule it for 2023 but I was looking forward to sailing the latest ship.  We'll see. 

On 12/3/2020 at 10:31 AM, GROUPTRAVEL said:

I haven't seen any published reports about Celebration's construction status either which makes me think it can be a candidate for cancellation for financial reasons.  My Mardi Gras cruise was officially cancelled this AM.  Perhaps I'll reschedule it for 2023 but I was looking forward to sailing the latest ship.  We'll see. 

On the builder website it says “under construction”.  

On 12/3/2020 at 8:35 AM, St.Pete said:

The original is at least scheduled for the India scrapyard, not sure she is On the way yet.

On 12/3/2020 at 3:36 AM, naxer said:

I've certainly seen no publicity.  They usually have a to-do about laying the keel, and I've not come across anything.  Just in passing, I don't know if I've heard whether Mardi Gras is finished being finished?  I don't think Carnival has taken possession? have they?

The Mardi Gras is rumored to be changing registry from Finland to Panama which typically happens at ownership change.  Where she will be until April is anyone’s guess. 

3 hours ago, glrounds said:

Given Carnival's tenuous financial situation, I'm amazed they even keep building ships. They can't use the ones they have now !

Might want to direct that question at the two lines who are in much more ‘tenuous” position.  Much more.  

6 hours ago, glrounds said:

Given Carnival's tenuous financial situation, I'm amazed they even keep building ships. They can't use the ones they have now !

The capacity percentage of new builds in order to turn a profit is substantially lower than the old rust buckets they are selling.  The 2 new Excellence  Class ships (Mardi Gras & Celebration) are also being fueled by LNG (Liquid Natural Gas) making them more efficient and thus saving Carnival money.  The two new ships also have substantially more areas for people to spend more money on board compared to the older ships they sold.

The can just use their Carnival credit card to pay for them - 

It may look like doom and gloom now - but they will sale again and making money faster than they ever thought. People want to cruise and they know it. People like to spent on value and they are trying to bring it with the new ships in ways they could not before.

Just have to ride this "wave" out. 

• Like 1

A Carnival rep called me tonight and I decided to rebook for Celebration 2023.  Apparently construction has started at the shipyard but we'll see how progress comes along especially once operations/cash flow resume.  Also, the rep indicated Mardi Gras will be in the US in late December in order to prepare for Spring sailings.  We'll see!

3 hours ago, GROUPTRAVEL said:

A Carnival rep called me tonight and I decided to rebook for Celebration 2023.  Apparently construction has started at the shipyard but we'll see how progress comes along especially once operations/cash flow resume.  Also, the rep indicated Mardi Gras will be in the US in late December in order to prepare for Spring sailings.  We'll see!

This goes with what I was thinking. It will end up being Horizon, Breeze, then Mardi Gras that sails... then the Vista. 

On 12/5/2020 at 12:38 PM, glrounds said:

It comes down to contracts and to future potential profits. 

Depending on where they are in the process, it could actually cost less to build and receive the new ship than to cancel the contract.

Further, looking beyond the immediate crisis, if you're reducing the fleet it makes a lot more sense to dump the older less efficient ships and run with the newer more efficient ships.  

The cruise industry is going to look very different in 5 years, well after the recovery, than what it did pre-COVID.  I don't think that "normal" will ever return.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 12:38 PM, glrounds said:

Because new builds are signed under contract,  also why they are dumping older ships in the mean time to make capacity room.

Four Fantasy Ships: ~~ 8,200 capacity (Rough estimate)

Mardi Gras/Celebration: ~~ 10,400 capacity 

But they still receiving investments so they are good for now.