Cruising no more support group?

winterbliss

We were in middle of seven weeks of cruising when all of this blew up and here we are all these months later...with so many concerns. I have no idea how many cruisers actually read these boards. Am I among the few of these board readers who won't take a vaccine... because in my opinion it doesn't make sense for so many reasons? How challenging it has to be for NCL et al, to do what they have to do to survive. But I'm wondering how many will choose to go the 'no cruising for me' route if covid vaccine becomes a requirement. I believe, no vaccine..no boarding a ship, could be the least of our problems. I believe this has the potential to impact our future in countless ways. So many appear unconcerned and think this all seems logical. We don't have to go back too far in history to remember there have been significant events of corruption in medical ethics. 

Perhaps I'm in such a cruise critic minority that I'll need the aforementioned support group? For the record, I do not live in fear of covid any more than I would fear heart disease or cancer. I would consider any illness or death related to any means devastating. Please don't reply in a disrespectful manner as I would not disrespect you no matter what your view.

• Like 5

I'm in the camp who hopes and prays that eventually cruise lines, airlines and concerts etc will only allow vaccinated people, I'm sorry but that's the only way I see any return to normal.

This will not happen for a long time though, it's impossible as there won't be enough vaccinated people, at first the ships will have to sail half full with everyone wearing masks. Eventually I hope the ships can return to normal, full up, no masks, open buffet and everything we are used to.

The problem is, people don't want all the restrictions like wearing masks, yet those same people say they won't take a vaccine.... catch 22

The cruise lines will simply not survive with the current restrictions, my question to you would be how do you want the cruise lines to proceed? is it half empty, masked cruises or vaccinated cruises or something else?

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

I supposed it will mirror what we hear on general vaccine acceptance. I think I am hearing about 40% say they would not get the vaccine now, so I guess 40% of potential cruisers won't be cruising during any time a vaccine is required.  I think that will rise as 2021 goes on and people become more comfortable, or decide they don't want to be subject to restrictions, or employers require a vaccine.

I do expect all these "vaccines required" situations will end up in court.  And I have no idea where that will go. 

• Like 3

I don’t really fear the virus or getting the vaccine so I will get it.  I have no fear of side effects. I know many fear the virus and many have gotten sick from it. I want to cruise again very badly. Cruising isn’t the cheapest vacations and they are a blast. I will do my part to protect me, my family, and others including my future fellow cruise passengers. The cruise lines have the right to require the vaccine as well as any of the ports the cruise lines may visit. I too want the vaccine to be mandatory. I want to feel as safe as possible on board as I am sure most other cruisers do too looking forward. I don’t want anti-vaxxers on board because I want to minimize my chances of my family being quarantined, my anxiety up on vacation,  my expensive trip ruined, and the cruise lines destroyed by anti-vaxxers. If people don’t want the vaccine, fine . Simply stick to land vacations and don’t ruin it for the rest of us by being selfish. As far as cruise lines being sued for vaccine requirements ... that is completely laughable .... No one is forcing anyone to go to the doctor and get vaccinated ... That will be your choice. You can’t sue a line for your own doing . It even states on the NCL website that vaccination requirements may change to cruise and this has been on their website long before covid. Be part of the solution as a community not part of the resistance and the problem. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

I'm in the camp who hopes and prays that eventually cruise lines, airlines and concerts etc will only allow vaccinated people, I'm sorry but that's the only way I see any return to normal.

This will not happen for a long time though, it's impossible as there won't be enough vaccinated people, at first the ships will have to sail half full with everyone wearing masks. Eventually I hope the ships can return to normal, full up, no masks, open buffet and everything we are used to.

The problem is, people don't want all the restrictions like wearing masks, yet those same people say they won't take a vaccine.... catch 22

The cruise lines will simply not survive with the current restrictions, my question to you would be how do you want the cruise lines to proceed? is it half empty, masked cruises or vaccinated cruises or something else?

Ditto

As I have said before my wife works for the CDC/ USDA. I can almost guarantee you every person who boards a cruise ship in the US or any of its terrorizes will have to have one of the vaccines and show proof they have had it. This will be going forward for the next 3-5 years. I don't know if this will hold true for crew members, it only makes sense it does

Anyone who chooses not to get the vaccine.....you can write off cruising among a lot of other things you plan to do. Places like Disney World / Land and other resorts like that will also require people to be vaccinated. Plan to travel to a foreign country? Add that to your list of places you won't be going.

The side effects of the Covid vaccine can't be any worse than the side effects from the shingles vaccine which was a 2 step process. First injection kicked my ass for 3 days. I would do it again in a heartbeat knowing I'm protected

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 17

1 hour ago, winterbliss said:

Am I among the few of these board readers who won't take a vaccine... because in my opinion it doesn't make sense for so many reasons?

@winterbliss perhaps we can add a little perspective this whole vaccinate or not vaccinate.  Many years ago I entered nursing training.  Back then, there was a whole list of vaccinations we had to have proof of taking before we could even enter the training.  The list was long but we had to adhere, otherwise, no training and therefore, no work. I realize that it's not the same situation since cruising is leisure and nursing is work, but, think of your background. Are you just against the covid-19 vaccine or all vaccines?

After having taken so many vaccines, I don't see any reason to stop now. 

Here's a list of just some of the vaccines required for nursing:   

Influenza (annual when available) Diphtheria, Typhoid Fever, Measles, Polio, Tetanus (every 10yrs),
Rubella, Pertussis, TwinRix and BCG (TB) etc. 

• Like 8

I see vaccines as the light at the end of the tunnel. In my opinion once they become widely available they will be required for many things from work to travel. I understand some people will not want to get one for a variety of reasons, but I think that will limit any number of options for them - international travel, cruising, theme parks, certain jobs will require, etc. I am in favor of it being mandatory for both passengers and crew to board a cruise ship. Those choosing not to vaccinate could cause a full cruise ship to go on quarantine. If you choose not to vaccinate that is your choice. If people are allowed to board a cruise ship without a vaccination I will not be on it. This would be different if we had medications that could control the virus, but at this time that is not the case.

• Like 13

We welcome a vaccination requirement to cruise. The last thing we want is some anti-vaccine person on our cruise getting sick, cutting the whole cruise short. Like a bad noro. 

My employer has already said that they will make vaccination a condition of employment because, like a ship, shut downs and quarantines affect our productivity. 

• Like 16

@winterbliss if you want to start a support group for those no longer interested in cruising due to the vaccine requirement, which I believe will be around for some time, I'd consider starting it in the Floataway Lounge here on cruise critic.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/130-floataway-lounge/

• Like 4

In my case, I’ve never gotten sick from the flu vaccine or any other. I also personally am on a biologic. I take a once a month immunosuppressive injection into my stomach and have so for four years without a single side affect. I assure you that this  expensive injection is probably 100 times more risky to my health then the Covid vaccine and it hasn’t had any side effects at all except help me. I laugh at a Covid vaccine shot, give me two right now, and would easily brush off any conspiracy theories associated with it . Just my personal situation ...... 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

@winterbliss if you want to start a support group for those no longer interested in cruising due to the vaccine requirement, which I believe will be around for some time, I'd consider starting it in the Floataway Lounge here on cruise critic.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/130-floataway-lounge/

Agreed!  I thought from the thread title that the OP wanted to commiserate with the rest of us who have been unable to cruise for a year because of the pandemic.  Not that the OP was going to be boasting about being an anti-vaxxer.   

• Like 8

I work in the ICU of a hospital and know for certain that I will be required to take the vaccine whether or not I want it.  I do welcome the vaccine and hope by the time of my first booked cruise in November, 2021, all passengers will have been vaccinated or they cannot board.  If covid testing and masks are still required by then, I'm not sure that I still want to go.

• Like 13

3 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

I laugh at a Covid vaccine shot, give me two right now, and would easily brush off any conspiracy theories associated with it . Just my personal situation ...... 

Regarding the conspiracy theories, it occurs to me that if the vaccine results in Bill Gates controlling our minds, at least some will wind up much smarter than they are now.  🤣

• Like 10
  • Haha 9

54 minutes ago, Travelicious said:

Regarding the conspiracy theories, it occurs to me that if the vaccine results in Bill Gates controlling our minds, at least some will wind up much smarter than they are now.  🤣

LOL! Yea, I’ve read for almost year now that Bill Gates, the billionaire philanthropist, has been deemed Satan himself by some for his mind and body controlling evil ways . 

Sorry OP but sign me up for a vaccine if it means I can get on with my life again and go cruising. We have had so many plans cancelled this year and many death which remind us of how short life is that I for one cannot wait to get back to normal

• Like 13

9 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Would you care to elaborate why you think this way? 

By the way readers..my topic wasn't meant to be misleading. I don't really need a support group because of no cruising. I'm retired RN, seen alot working in health care just like anyone who's worked in same. Obviously, had vaccines...except flu shot. Don't assume everyone who is saying no to this vax is an anti-vaxer.

I realize to say anything further is futile. Good luck to all.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Laszlo said:

The side effects of the Covid vaccine can't be any worse than the side effects from the shingles vaccine which was a 2 step process. First injection kicked my ass for 3 days. I would do it again in a heartbeat knowing I'm protected

I just recently got the 2nd shot for the shingles vaccine. That night, I couldn't sleep and just felt "bad" (hard to describe). I suspected it was the 2nd shot of the shingles vaccine. After reading your post above, I think I was right. Funny, I don't rmember any reaction after getting the 1st shot, just the 2nd. I agree with you, I'd do it again in a heartbeat to know that I am protected.

• Like 3

I understand people being a bit hesitant and not wanting to be part of the guinea pig group for the vaccine (despite the already 40K+ people officially in the clinical trail per manufacturer), and that's fine. But there are many of us who will gladly get in line if it means there's more hope of getting back to traveling the world. So we'll be on the first cruises giving everyone else feedback on how things are, and eventually your time will come that you can join us.

But for those who don't fear catching the virus, think it's a hoax, think it's no different from catching the flu, etc.... I envy you. I work in a hospital, and have never seen anything like this before in my life, and hope I never do again. Every parking lot was turned into an outdoor triage ER with tents and refrigerated morgue trucks (we had 3 at the peak). Every patient room turned into an ICU. Every conference room turned into an ICU. Our library turned into an ICU. Our cafeteria turned into an ICU.... you get the idea, hopefully. We were at 125% capacity for 3+ months, with our external ambulatory center turned into a makeshift OBGYN ward overnight to try and keep the newborns safe and away from those infected. No one can prepare for all of that, mentally, emotionally, or physically.

We are definitely in the midst of another wave, but the projections are not nearly as bad as we experienced in April. Through hundreds of autopsies, we now understand how and why this virus turns on people so darn quickly, and can watch for those signs and treat before the point of no return. Science is awesome, and I'm proud to be a part of this, but it is extremely demoralizing to still hear so many people dismiss this virus and be so stubborn and selfish by putting their personal comfort over the safety of their fellow humans.

I have no problem with folks that don't want the vaccine or don't want to wear masks - I just ask that they postpone their travel plans and stay home in their safe little bubble of ignorance.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

I am in the get the vaccine parade.  I have watched my son in law lose his grandmother and uncle to Covid  just last month weeks apart.  His mother has lost the rest of her  nuclear  family from Covid,  (After losing her husband to early Alzheimer's  3 years ago.)  I have watched as my husband goes to work daily, hoping he comes home covid free.  I have worked as a screener enforcing masks and taking temps and asking the same 6 questions 300+ times a day, all while hoping I come home Covid free.  So yeah I get the vaccines,  I have both pneumonia vaccines,  flu vaccine,   DPT up to date,  whooping cough,  I had the small pox many years ago.  I have had the other diseases to become immune.  But Covid is just too  unpredictable to risk getting it when a simple 2 injections can stop it.  
I too hope all forms of travel require the vaccine, including trains ( thought that could be difficult).  Just not worth not getting it and contracting Covid.  

• Like 12

On 12/3/2020 at 9:25 AM, PelicanBill said:

I supposed it will mirror what we hear on general vaccine acceptance. I think I am hearing about 40% say they would not get the vaccine now, so I guess 40% of potential cruisers won't be cruising during any time a vaccine is required.  I think that will rise as 2021 goes on and people become more comfortable, or decide they don't want to be subject to restrictions, or employers require a vaccine.

I do expect all these "vaccines required" situations will end up in court.  And I have no idea where that will go. 

I believe the "non-vaccinator" group will find themselves shunned and locked out of many areas and activities, that eventually they'll do what's right and get vaccinated.  Moreover, I think most will get vaccinated and try to keep it a secret so they can save face.

That said, no vaccination.....no cruise for you!

• Like 8