Can Carnival have a few sailings just for those who have been Vaccinated?

evandbob

6 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Maybe some dates on a ship could be blocked off just for those who either received the vax or can provide proof of antibodies?  I would consider booking such a cruise, depending on the ship and itinerary.

Don't you think ALL ships will require the vaccine/proof of antibodies?

• Like 5

It is going to have to be a mix, I'm afraid.  Maybe eventually for those vaccinated but the start of the vaccinations are going to be extremely tough and hard to come by.  My wife is leading a taskforce for mobile COVID vaccinations for a major regional healthcare system.  Their first shipments of vaccines are in the hundreds.  Not thousands or tens of thousands but hundreds.  And those few vaccines are reserved for certain people first and general population will be a ways down the road.

Cruise lines are going to do the minimum of what is absolutely necessary to start sailing again which means they will verify if you currently have COVID or are symptomatic.

Edited by cmukid87
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another problem is they do not know how long the vaccine will protect people.  My dd had covid at the end of  March - got tested for antibodies in early April  - had a large amount.  Donated plasma.  Just got tested again last week, and test showed no antibodies.  Makes me worry about how often we would have to get vaccinated and tested to see if "immunity" goes down and how quickly it does.  In dd's case her antibodies lasted somewhere between April and November- could have lasted one month, or 8.  We don't know.

• Thanks 1

I’m hopeful it will be a requirement . If we want to get back cruising or any travel and leisure pre virus , people over a certain age need to feel safe and I believe most , not all but  most will feel that way with vaccine and effective treatment.

Italy this past late summer as they loosened up some very tight guidelines , Some beach towns required Italians who want to stay in thier resorts provide a serology test to prove they had the antibodies .. 

Several major hotels I Usually stay with are under new ownership and two eliminated perks/loyalty as the new owners try to make a go for it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

On the contrary. They should have a few 3-day cruises a year for the anti-vaxxers/anti-maskers and let the rest of us cruise safely year round.

Nothing good could come of an anti vaccine cruise ..... nothing but outbreaks, bad press, and probably denial to dock at most if not all foreign ports. They will just have to find a new hobby besides cruising .

• Like 7

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

Maybe some dates on a ship could be blocked off just for those who either received the vax or can provide proof of antibodies?  I would consider booking such a cruise, depending on the ship and itinerary.

How in the world can we prove we have antibodies.  That has been my question all along.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pe4all said:

Another problem is they do not know how long the vaccine will protect people.  My dd had covid at the end of  March - got tested for antibodies in early April  - had a large amount.  Donated plasma.  Just got tested again last week, and test showed no antibodies.  Makes me worry about how often we would have to get vaccinated and tested to see if "immunity" goes down and how quickly it does.  In dd's case her antibodies lasted somewhere between April and November- could have lasted one month, or 8.  We don't know.

They discussed this on the network news this morning.  The vaccine is supposed to have much longer “stay” ability on the antibodies, while unknown on that length, they guesstimated at as much as year before booster shot (much like current flu vaccines).

3 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Nothing good could come of an anti vaccine cruise ..... nothing but outbreaks, bad press, and probably denial to dock at most if not all foreign ports. They will just have to find a new hobby besides cruising .

To be fair, I was a on a cruise in mid-March without masks or vaccines. To our knowledge, nothing happened.

But I agree, the press can't wait to find people with COVID on ship.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, fyree39 said:

On the contrary. They should have a few 3-day cruises a year for the anti-vaxxers/anti-maskers and let the rest of us cruise safely year round.

The crew doesn't deserve that...I say no vaccine, no cruise. I understand that there are a small percentage of folks that can not have certain vaccines, but they do not have to cruise either. It is a luxury, not a right. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

To be fair, I was a on a cruise in mid-March without masks or vaccines. To our knowledge, nothing happened.

Considering the fact that the incubation period is 2-14 days, your shipmates could have gotten sick/died/spread the virus long after you debarked. However, the virus was not widespread in the US at that time. Things were shut down early to prevent it from getting as bad as it was in Europe and Asia. However, everything reopened far too early and here we are many months later up a creek without a paddle. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, pe4all said:

From what I understand (not much) the decline in antibodies doesn't necessarily imply a decline in immunity:

By measuring antibody titres, these studies do not capture the matter of immunological memory at both a B cell and T cell level. The adaptive immune system works by building a memory that determines how rapidly your body can respond to an invading pathogen upon second exposure. So while antibodies do wane over time, which is not unexpected, this memory aspect of the immune response does not. 

https://www.biospace.com/article/do-waning-covid-19-antibodies-mean-loss-of-immunity-/

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Joebucks said:

It will be the press that keeps cruising from ever becoming normal again.

• Like 2