Odds Makers

klfrodo

58 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Often highlighted by deniers, I see Sweden has abandoned their reckless covid policy and is rolling out restrictions.

Sweden was like the only country in the world which did not have any restrictions whats so ever. Their scientists even proved that masks dont help from Covid. And they got like one of the lowest rates in all of Europe. Maybe there is something we dont know? 

7 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

Sweden was like the only country in the world which did not have any restrictions whats so ever. Their scientists even proved that masks dont help from Covid. And they got like one of the lowest rates in all of Europe. Maybe there is something we dont know? 

If only this was true. Sweden has implemented restrictions and their COVID numbers are far from the lowest in Europe. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

If only this was true. Sweden has implemented restrictions and their COVID numbers are far from the lowest in Europe. 

The virus will end when it is over, nobody has answers. 

• Like 1

0% chance of an April cruise out of CA. I’ve been optimistic during this whole ordeal but even for me my optimism has worn out. This is just my opinion but I think until a vaccine is out and enough people have taken it to give some confidence of herd immunity that things won’t be back to “normal”. I have a mid July Mardi Gras cruise booked and just this weekend was looking to book something for March 2022 as a backup. I’m super picky about cabin selection so I feel mentally better having it booked, lol. I booked my original cruise using Carnival gift cards so I’m locked into a cruise hopefully with them at some point! I’m someone who works for an essential business so I never stopped going out. Me personally I’m fine wearing a mask, distancing, whatever is needed on vacation. I thought people who said last spring that cruising in 2020 was dead were crazy! I’m starting to feel that fall 2021 cruising restart might be our reality ☹️

2 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Sweden didn't prove anything, except their approach didn't work. They trusted their citizens to voluntarily do the right thing, which only lasted so long. 

25 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Masks and social distancing work. We know that.

Unfortunately to many people think that statement is a hoax.  That kind of thinking gave us a million new cases in 5 days.  For the first time Covid deaths were more than heart disease last week.  Hopefully people will start to take it seriously sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Masks and social distancing work. We know that.

Mask and social distancing don’t stop the virus, they prolong the spread. The only way to stop the virus is stopping all human interaction. The virus needs people and any interaction will help it. That said it’s impossible to do that. 

I understand your points. You are not vey positive about much - but don’t worry if you stay home and keep your mask on you should be safe - you are correct. 

• Like 2

Just now, Stick93 said:

Mask and social distancing don’t stop the virus, they prolong the spread. The only way to stop the virus is stopping all human interaction. The virus needs people and any interaction will help it. That said it’s impossible to do that. 

I understand your points. You are not very positive about much - but don’t worry if you stay home and keep your mask on you should be safe - you are correct. 

1 hour ago, Stick93 said:

I understand your points. You are not vey positive about much - but don’t worry if you stay home and keep your mask on you should be safe - you are correct. 

They flatten the curve and save lives. Hospitals and morgues are overwhelmed. Even in your alt-reality.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

They flatten the curve and save lives. Hospitals and morgues are overwhelmed. Even in your alt-reality.

Well follow the science. They are wearing masks in NY and it’s surging. They are not wearing masks in FL and they are surging.  Science is really something. There is no rhyme or reason - as much as you claim all the buzz words. I am not advocating for not wearing masks just pointing out the inconsistency. 

• Like 2

I would put April at 5%.  I think May it jumps up to 25%.  June is 50%.  And July is perhaps the best chance to have an air of "normalcy" about it.  Although, I have no idea what the new normal will be.  The vaccine will be helpful, I hope, but it's not a panacea.  Deciding public health and safety issues are difficult in the best of circumstances, and near impossible in the current political climate.

Edited by naxer

Well follow the science. They are wearing masks in NY and it’s surging. They are not wearing masks in FL and they are surging.  Science is really something. There is no rhyme or reason - as much as you claim all the buzz words. I am not advocating for not wearing masks just pointing out the inconsistency. 

Unfortunately many NYers are not wearing masks, and have forgone social distancing.  I personally know many who had large family gatherings over Thanksgiving.  We see gyms not following the "rules."  We see bars that have put up window blinds so you can't see how many people are over-crowding their bars.  We read everyday about large parties that were held. (400+ in one case.).  In my neighborhood the high school kids have big groups (20+) playing soccer, basketball, touch football- no masks. Then all these people go home or to work or to school and spread the virus  So there are reasons the numbers are surging again in NY - and everywhere.  

• Like 2

It is absurd to say "they" are wearing masks as a blanket statement anywhere in the U.S. .  There is a group of people throughout the U.S.  that believe this is a hoax. Heck there is a group of people on these boards who think the virus is a hoax.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, pe4all said:

Unfortunately many NYers are not wearing masks, and have forgone social distancing.  I personally know many who had large family gatherings over Thanksgiving.  We see gyms not following the "rules."  We see bars that have put up window blinds so you can't see how many people are over-crowding their bars.  We read everyday about large parties that were held. (400+ in one case.).  In my neighborhood the high school kids have big groups (20+) playing soccer, basketball, touch football- no masks. Then all these people go home or to work or to school and spread the virus  So there are reasons the numbers are surging again in NY - and everywhere.  

Bingo

1 hour ago, pe4all said:

Great post.  Thank you for the first hand experience of an actual New Yorker and not just someone that watches a particular style of news.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pe4all said:

Now do Florida please. 

Edited by Stick93

1 hour ago, skridge said:

It is absurd to say "they" are wearing masks as a blanket statement anywhere in the U.S. .  There is a group of people throughout the U.S.  that believe this is a hoax. Heck there is a group of people on these boards who think the virus is a hoax.

And there are those who think the end of the world is coming. 

Again follow the science - whatever that is. 

On 12/4/2020 at 10:35 AM, klfrodo said:

Give me your uneducated odds of my April 24, 2021 Carnival Panorama cruise actually sailing on time out of Long Beach.

I'm thinking less than 50% but more than 25%. Since it's my money and my hopes, maybe I'm being a bit optimistic.

What say you?

Zero percent.  The three ports that were determined as the first in the US would be Miami, Ft Lauderdale and Galveston. None of them have had test sailings yet. Carnival will not be expanding the sailings till they have a good track record with those three ports. Not at all likely to be expanding beyond those ports before May.

I personally social distance and wear a mask out of my house. I had no guests at my house for any holidays and I won’t be having any guest over anytime soon. I don’t do it because I believe it’s going to stop the virus - I do it because it the best we can do and I don’t believe science knows any better or is being used correctly In Any way here. 
We write textbooks on illness - the illnesses don’t read them and don't behave as the way we write about them. We can ask questions about the inconsistency of what we are told. It’s okay. 
People who don’t social distance and wear mask are their own people.  I don’t wish bad on them or hope they get sick like some people do. They either feel they can beat it or they don’t care what happens. 
If you feel uncomfortable about what others do - stay home. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Stick93 said:

Science is not absolute. Theories are created based on available evidence. More is unknown than known about C19. As knowledge is gained, theories evolve. At least science is based in reality and is trying to save lives. There is not universal wearing of masks and people move freely among states where rules vary. In some locations it is easier to contract the virus and spread it elsewhere.

Greed is about money. Some want to accumulate all the money and don't care what it costs in lives - especially lives of others.