How to Request On Board Credit (OBC) on Oceania when owning 100+ NCL Stock/Shares

Smokeyham

2 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

You turn in  the June statement for a July sailing as it is the last statement   prior to sailing date AND do a print of your account daily  that you can see every day.      FAX or to O  do not Mail  or better yet sent id via your Travel agent....    What Oceania is saying is , in the 15 day prior to sailing...is it will take them 15 days to process your request....  Does that sound rational?       They are hip to day traders and account churners...       Go with the flow.   If worse  comes to worse....  bring a copy of your statment to the ship.....THEN go to the internet and print a copy of your daily account off  and show it to them in real time !!!

Its worth , to me $250 for  maybe 15 min of time.....      

Now  if you had bought Walt Disney stock.... which went up $24 a share today ...OBC's  from O would be moot......

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

You turn in  the June statement for a July sailing as it is the last statement   prior to sailing date AND do a print of your account daily  that you can see every day.      FAX or to O  do not Mail  or better yet sent id via your Travel agent....    What Oceania is saying is , in the 15 day prior to sailing...is it will take them 15 days to process your request....  Does that sound rational?       They are hip to day traders and account churners...       Go with the flow.   If worse  comes to worse....  bring a copy of your statment to the ship.....THEN go to the internet and print a copy of your daily account off  and show it to them in real time !!!

Its worth , to me $250 for  maybe 15 min of time.....      

I e-mailed it to O.  I immediately got an automated reply acknowledging receipt of the OBC request.

On 12/10/2020 at 2:14 PM, tgg said:

I just got turned down for the shareholder benefit.  I've owned the stock for many years.  But the rejection letter is confusing. Some of it feels like a translation from a foreign language. They want me to own the stock at the time of sailing.  It seems that we applied for the benefit too early for a cruise that is a year away.  The letter seems to give no clear indication of when to apply.  A month before sailing? Two months? But not later than 15 days before you sail?  Here's the letter:

Hello,  
Thank you for contacting the NCLH Shareholder Benefit Desk at Oceania Cruises 
Based on the updated policy wherein the NCLH Shareholder Benefit is now combinable with Oceania Cruises promotional amenity for reservations created on or after January 7, 2017.

The corresponding shipboard credits cannot be applied to the upcoming  MNA211201_sailing as the Shareholder must own the NCLH stocks at time of sailing, please send the latest proof of shares statement no later than 15 days prior to departure in 2021 Sailing.

Six days ago I sent in my SHOBC request.  today, I got the same response.  Oh well, I'm off to put the item on my June calendar.  😏

I applied last month for my April 4, 2021 sailing and got the $250 shipboard credited to my shipboard account after a week of requesting.  Then that sailing was canceled and I rebooked for the same cruise for April 6, 2022 and requested the shipboard credit.  I just received the email that I had to wait no later 15 days before the cruise, but as stated by others, no real dates to apply again.  I wrote to them, and see if I get a response.  I also attached the email that I received from them granting my shipboard credit for the April 2021 cruise.  Will see what they say.  I don't mind waiting, but needed more clarity. 

1 hour ago, PintoLvr said:

I applied last month for my April 4, 2021 sailing and got the $250 shipboard credited to my shipboard account after a week of requesting.  Then that sailing was canceled and I rebooked for the same cruise for April 6, 2022 and requested the shipboard credit.  I just received the email that I had to wait no later 15 days before the cruise, but as stated by others, no real dates to apply again.  I wrote to them, and see if I get a response.  I also attached the email that I received from them granting my shipboard credit for the April 2021 cruise.  Will see what they say.  I don't mind waiting, but needed more clarity. 

So it looks like you can apply between 6 mths to 15 days prior   from what you experienced

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought but given the current price of NCLH one would get an immediate 10% ROI on a 100 share purchase if they were taking a 15+ day cruise.  It makes a case to purchase the stock for that single use and dump it after the cruise.  The risk would be that the stock plunges in value during that time interval.

Hank

On 12/26/2020 at 7:45 AM, Hlitner said:

Just a thought but given the current price of NCLH one would get an immediate 10% ROI on a 100 share purchase if they were taking a 15+ day cruise.  It makes a case to purchase the stock for that single use and dump it after the cruise.  The risk would be that the stock plunges in value during that time interval.

Hank

Correct Hank.....  If you have the mind set that the stock is NOT and investment to be held any longer than necessary then  your good.   

Here is another take and thought,   If you bought the stock to get a $100 or even 250 OBC....     AND  you bought it at say $10 a share and now it is$ 25 you made $1500 in growth.    So you cruise is not until May or June. 

Do you want to hold and risk market fluctuation?   Maybe not.....   Consider what you hoped to get      If you sold NOW your  guaranteed  a $100 OBC on 14 day cruises  for the next 15!!!!    and $250 for 26 day cruises for the next 6!!!   Rather than holding for   6 to 15 years !!     

You got NOW what you set out to get  Why not  sell and give your self your own OBC..      50 to 100% is a pretty good profit....    Maybe time to take the money off the table. 

images (3).jpg

1 minute ago, Hawaiidan said:

Correct Hank.....  If you have the mind set that the stock is NOT and investment to be held any longer than necessary then  your good.   

Here is another take and thought,   If you bought the stock to get a $100 or even 250 OBC....     AND  you bought it at say $10 a share and now it is$ 25 you made $1500 in growth.    So you cruise is not until May or June. 

Do you want to hold and risk market fluctuation?   Maybe not.....   Consider what you hoped to get      If you sold NOW your  guaranteed  a $100 OBC on 14 day cruises  for the next 15!!!!    and $250 for 26 day cruises for the next 6!!!   Rather than holding for   6 to 15 years !!     

You got NOW what you set out to get  Why not  sell and give your self your own OBC..      50 to 100% is a pretty good profit....    Maybe time to take the money off the table. 

images (3).jpg

LOL "Ain't investing fun?  We have owned both RCI and CCL stock for over 25 years and our ROI is quite amazing since we tend to cruise 100+ days in most years.  At one time we divided our cruising between several CCL companies, Azamara and Celebrity (we gave up on RCI years ago).  We have not been on NCL since they got rid of the Norway and have yet to cruise "O" but do have an 18 day O cruise booked for next December.  I do not see NCLH as a good long term investment for the obvious reasons (COVID plus a debt-Equity problem).  I also have some concerns about a major market "adjustment" depending on what happens in the GA elections...keeping in mind that the markets do not usually like if a single political party controls everything!  

So I guess this is a time to sit back and not buy NCLH.  I figure the downside potential is probably greater then the upside....at least for the first quarter of 2021 :).  So now that I have gone on record with an investment prediction we can sit back and see if I am completely wrong.  LOL.

Hank

20 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

LOL "Ain't investing fun?  We have owned both RCI and CCL stock for over 25 years and our ROI is quite amazing since we tend to cruise 100+ days in most years.  At one time we divided our cruising between several CCL companies, Azamara and Celebrity (we gave up on RCI years ago).  We have not been on NCL since they got rid of the Norway and have yet to cruise "O" but do have an 18 day O cruise booked for next December.  I do not see NCLH as a good long term investment for the obvious reasons (COVID plus a debt-Equity problem).  I also have some concerns about a major market "adjustment" depending on what happens in the GA elections...keeping in mind that the markets do not usually like if a single political party controls everything!  

So I guess this is a time to sit back and not buy NCLH.  I figure the downside potential is probably greater then the upside....at least for the first quarter of 2021 :).  So now that I have gone on record with an investment prediction we can sit back and see if I am completely wrong.  LOL.

Hank

No  I think your very  correct.....and seeing the political possibility of draconian taxes next year is wise.    Many Including me are liquidating this tax year to avoid that risk.    I dumped NCHL at 28 as 299% growth in 9 months is enough.... The odds are that it will not keep up the pace     Better to be in cash on the side line playing with "their" money  waiting for the next disaster

Like in Vegas its better to look at the % rather than the $ in when it is time to pull out for a break.

It's not necessarily good advice to suggest that someone sell a security that has grown in value because they will have to pay a tax.  First of all, it's not a certainty that the tax law will change in the fashion that Hawaiidan suggests (and if it does, it will probably be for folks with very high adjusted gross earnings anyway-over $400k)  The tax is not an ordinary income tax, but a capital gain tax on the net capital gains for the year (you could have offsetting losses), and the tax generally less than ordinary income tax and is never 100%.   Tell you what, Hawaiidan - Give me your gain and I'll pay the tax on it!  You should never sell a stock just because you might have to pay gains tax if you keep it and it goes up further - that's just crazy

10 hours ago, WFHFLOYD said:

It's not necessarily good advice to suggest that someone sell a security that has grown in value because they will have to pay a tax.  First of all, it's not a certainty that the tax law will change in the fashion that Hawaiidan suggests (and if it does, it will probably be for folks with very high adjusted gross earnings anyway-over $400k)  The tax is not an ordinary income tax, but a capital gain tax on the net capital gains for the year (you could have offsetting losses), and the tax generally less than ordinary income tax and is never 100%.   Tell you what, Hawaiidan - Give me your gain and I'll pay the tax on it!  You should never sell a stock just because you might have to pay gains tax if you keep it and it goes up further - that's just crazy

I am referring to NCLH.... which  is a high risk very volatile stock.  and if you experienced over 100-300% growth the historical odds for that to continue is Very Very slight.    it is not investment grade nor should you consider it  to be..... Its short term to get a little OBC and then sell.

If you got the stock the get OBC then you have achieved  600-1400% of that goal..      How much is enough in profit and when does greed expose you to future loss?    Remember Hogs get slaughtered

NCL I and many others think is not something to hold. for very long given its 133% volatility history.     Short held stock like NCL would get taxed as regular income and would thus push ALL you income to higher rates impacted... Next year will not be pretty with the multi trillions the feds are spending....... think about it... who is going to pay that bill?????     Go look in the mirror and get real...

Taxes will go up on everyone the....." 400K" is a political smoke and mirrors......  ....Well , technically no new taxes...  they will be just reverted to  the Old SSSSSS.. pre Trump levels taxes you had.  And,surprise experts expect capital gain tax to be taken away for ALL individuates...  So BIG changes the new admin has in store for us all.   I will take my profits this year under the current tax level.  Thank you very much

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Taxes will go up on everyone the....." 400K" is a political smoke and mirrors......  ....Well , technically no new taxes...  they will be just reverted to  the Old SSSSSS.. pre Trump levels taxes you had.  And,surprise experts expect capital gain tax to be taken away for ALL individuates...  So BIG changes the new admin has in store for us all.   I will take my profits this year under the current tax level.  Thank you very much

Your pontification may be right; or it could be very wrong. You way want to wait till next Tuesday night

and see who controls the Senate before guessing on any tax increases.

18 hours ago, Dwtlion said:

Your pontification may be right; or it could be very wrong. You way want to wait till next Tuesday night

and see who controls the Senate before guessing on any tax increases.

Everything in life is a calculated risk...   You have to make choices