Fall Clothing Suggestions - Eastern Europe

DeeDee Groff

This subject is off topic, but I have received such wonderful suggestions from this forum in the past that I decided to reach out. 

After the HAL 2021 Grand Africa Voyage was cancelled, I booked a month long land tour of Germany (primarily the former GDR), the Czech Republic, and Poland leaving from Berlin in mid September.  

I will be limited to one checked bag and a small backpack.  My primary concern is that I not be cold, but I do not want to take up valuable space in the checked bag by bringing garments I won't use.

Any suggestions anyone would care to offer would be most appreciated!

45 minutes ago, DeeDee Groff said:

This subject is off topic, but I have received such wonderful suggestions from this forum in the past that I decided to reach out. 

After the HAL 2021 Grand Africa Voyage was cancelled, I booked a month long land tour of Germany (primarily the former GDR), the Czech Republic, and Poland leaving from Berlin in mid September.  

I will be limited to one checked bag and a small backpack.  My primary concern is that I not be cold, but I do not want to take up valuable space in the checked bag by bringing garments I won't use.

Any suggestions anyone would care to offer would be most appreciated!

I would google the weather there when you're there. And then I would pack layers in black and other neutral colors.

It doesn't look to me like the temperatures are that cold in September in the places you'll be -- mid 60s in the daytime and 45-50 degrees at night on average. Although depending on where you live, you may feel differently! 

It sounds like you will mainly be in cities?  Temperature control is important -- many buildings in Europe I find to be uncomfortably warm inside (blasting hot air), such as museums, so you want to be able to shed layers inside easily and put them back on when you return outside.

I'd take solid tee-shirts in neutral colors that mix and match, maybe one striped tee for variety. For pants I'd take jeans (if you like them for daytime wear, I'm not much of a fan but I'm in the minority) and neutral pants (black, navy). I like Eileen Fisher slim ponte knit pants for travel in Europe in the cooler months. They are heavier weight -- but not too heavy -- and look nice enough to wear in the evening for dinner. I also tend to like merino wool sweaters, they are lightweight, warm and travel well. There are many styles of cardigans or pullovers. The latter are more "in" right now but I like cardigans better as they are easier to put on/take off. A dressier blouse or two don't take up much room and can look nice for evening if needed. (I tend to like patterns for some variety but nothing that's too wild....)

Toss in some silk underwear (top and bottoms) in case you get some much cooler weather. And a scarf or two for variety -- or shop once you get there, as they are also a great souvenir that takes up little room.

Probably the most important pieces are outerwear and shoes. I agree on the packable down, just make sure to find one that is somewhat water-resistant as the weather in those areas can get drizzly, especially if you go closer to the end of the month. Also pack a lightweight fully water resistant jacket in case of a really wet day -- preferably one long enough to sit on (trust me, from past experience!).  And I prefer one with a hood rather than using an umbrella. This leaves my hands free to keep one on my (crossbody) bag and use my camera/phone for photos with the other.

I am not a fan of boots, I find them hot and uncomfortable, but if you like/love them, they are a great option for the time of year. Otherwise I'd bring two pair of good walking shoes (the boots can be one pair) -- it is good for your feet to alternate, and one pair may get wet. Street/city leather sneakers are good. Make sure whatever shoes you take have firm/sturdy soles (not just soft cushioning) because city walking in European cities can be tough with all the cobbles.

If your tour includes dinners you might bring a pair of shoes for evening. If you wear one of your daytime pair, you're only packing two pairs. If it doesn't include dinners, and you don't plan to eat in nicer restaurants on your own, you can get by without the blouses and the dressier shoes.

Bring only enough underwear for a week and do hand washing as needed. Limit "extras" and "what if" items. 

This blogger has some good ideas for light travel to Europe in all seasons:  https://unefemme.net/travel-wardrobes

• Like 2

I agree with Cruisemom. If you can’t locate silk long Johns try CuddleDuds (they have several varieties). I use them for pjs when traveling & they are a great layering piece for cold temps. Two pair or SmartWool socks & gloves & a warm hat (that will fit in the zip pocket of your packable down hooded jacket (I recommend 32Cool from Costco or TekGear from Kohl’s). I also prefer pointe pants (JJill has some nice ones as do Chicos). Jeans are heavy, take up too much room & are awful if they get wet. Pick a 2-3 color scheme & brighten up with scarves

• 2 weeks later...

I am always cold.  I would wear my sweater and or jacket on the air plane.  This way you are warm on the plane, and it does not take up luggage space.  Also I would get the extra large zip lock bags to pack with.  Things that don't wrinkle, such as a sweater, just put in the bag.  I do that, then I sit on the bag to get the air out, then zip it up (while sitting on it).  Things take up less space that way.

• Like 2