Navigator Question

DaisyUK

11 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Great comments, we've never cruised on the Navigator before--but looking forward to cruising on her this Aug (?-hoping).  We have a 28 day cruise booked.

What happened to your 31 May 2021 Navigator cruise?

42 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

What happened to your 31 May 2021 Navigator cruise?

It was March 1 PPT/LIM/MIA (canceled), we did have a May cruise booked on another ship-but it was only on hold--we canceled it and rebooked the Aug cruise.  Sorry for the mix up.

10 hours ago, Scout16 said:

I have spent many nights on the Navigator,  I like to get a suite on deck seven, it is low in rough weather, you can go the the theater without changing decks, and you can go to the rear elevators going through public areas rather than  passageways though the cabins.  My last trip on deck nine rear of the elevators, I did not notice the vibration, but on some rough sea days crossing the Atlantic I had to hang on to the bars to take my shower.  I believe that the vibration has improved since I first was on the Navigator in 2006.  The main thing I like about the ship is the size, there is a small town feel, in a few days you recognize most everyone and feel at home with them.      

Scout - Could not agree with you more!!  😉  We love the "Navigator"!  It is the "little treasure" of the Regent Fleet.  Not as new, doesn't have all the specialty restaurants, and might be a little more turbulent in heavy seas.....but the ambiance, the "hometown feeling", and closeness/friendliness to everyone onboard (crew and passengers) cannot be duplicated anywhere else.  Regards.

• Like 4

For some reason my most memorable cruises have been on Navigator. My last cruise on Regent in November 2019, New York to Miami, was perfect , except some bad weather. The crew/staff could not have been better, service and food excellent. As others have mentioned, I like the cozy size of the ship without sacrificing suite space. If you don't book an aft suite the vibration is not an issue. Sometimes getting a lounge chair around the pool was challenging. 

• Like 1

We think that the Navigator seems to get the best itineraries. At least, they appeal to us the most of any Regent ships. I'm guessing it's because of her small size and Regents shot at getting people aboard her instead of newer/more elaborate ships.

• Like 5

I am wondering about the enrichment lectures aboard Navigator.  Is there about the same amount of this as on the larger Regent ships?  Does it depend more on itinerary or ship size?  We really like having at least two enrichment lectures on a sea day, and I am wondering if we would be disappointed in this aspect of Regent on a long voyage.

Specifically, I am most curious about the Grand Arctic Adventure on Navigator.  My assumption has been that there would be more enrichment lectures on a Grand Voyage or World Cruise than on a shorter more port intensive itinerary.  Is this true?  It would be great if some of you who have sailed such voyages could share your experience.

Susie not based on ship but where you are.  Terry Been fantastic lecturer in the Americas and John Freedman even better for Asia itineraries.  On the other hand, on a trip six years ago from Dubai to Cape Town the primary lecturer was so bad that they flew in a replacement midway through the cruise.  There will also be a second lecturer on most longer itineraries.

World Cruises and Grand Voyages have historically had more known lecturers.  On circumnavigation of Australia two years ago we had Alan Stern who was onboard just after New Horizons flew by Ultima Thule.  We were lucky to have dinner with him (actually wasn't luck just a very large donation to crew welfare fund).  Terry Anderson has been a frequent lecturer on Regent.  World Cruises used to have Mark Russel and others.  Once sailed with Jim Nantz as lecturer.

There have been lots of misses too with regard to lecturers.  Regent had an agreement with Smithsonian but I think they have parted ways (Smithsonian was involved in our fiasco in Indian Ocean).

I hear that Crystal has fantastic lecturers but I can't believe anyone could be better than John Freedman.

5 hours ago, mrlevin said:

I hear that Crystal has fantastic lecturers but I can't believe anyone could be better than John Freedman.

I have not heard John Freedman or the others you named, so I can't compare.  But it sounds like Crystal definitely has many more lecturers and lectures.  There are usually three or four lectures on a typical sea day.  The quality also varies, but some are excellent and most of the others are very good.  On a crossing with several sea days, there will be numerous lecturers on board and usually only one of them is a destination speaker. 

I just did a quick count from the first segment of the 2019 Crystal World Cruise, and there were 14 lecturers who gave 57 lectures on 13 sea days, not counting additional lectures from the mixologist, guest chef, store representatives, and wine tasting.  Admittedly, this was a 21 night segment with 13 sea days, but the thought of such a segment with only two lecturers is worrying to me.  At least the Regent lecturers will probably be new to me, which is a plus since a few of the Crystal ones do come back and repeat essentially the same lectures we heard before.

Marc, I would love it if you would post some details about this specific topic on the Grand Arctic Adventure, once you are able to sail it.  I have a conflicting booking in 2022, but we have our eye on doing that particular Grand Voyage on Navigator in 2023.

Karen

Edited by SusieQft

Karen, I think Regent has lectures at 10 and 2 each sea day but sometimes more frequently.  Lecturers for this summer's Grand Arctic would normally be on website by now but I think given the current situation they haven't booked anyone until they know if they are sailing.

Marc

• Thanks 1

Karen,

On World Cruise, on sea days there are normally 2 lectures in the morning. The people change each segment and if there are numbers of sea days, lecturers change during a segment. There are also a variety of other activities in the afternoon - bridge, art/craft classes - that sort of thing.

Crystal lets you know ahead of time who the lectures will be by posting on their web site, Regent does not.

I don't know about the Grand Arctic trips - I've not been on one -  but there are far fewer sea days - only 21 on the entire 22GA trip -  so I have to assume that although there will probably be two lecturers per segment, the multi-sea day issue as you talked about on the Crystal 19WC does not happen.

The lecturers are the same standard as on Crystal - I've done several Crystal World Cruises in the not-to-distant past. Of course, it depends on their fields.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Peggy

• Thanks 2

Karen,

I was on the Grand Arctic in 2018. It's a fantastic cruise--I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

The primary lecturer, who spoke at least once each sea day and often on partial port days, was superb. I'm blanking on his name, but he was a very witty British gentleman who displayed considerable knowledge about many of the ports, as well as some other topics. Those ports he didn't know, he clearly had done his homework on. There were other lecturers as well, though none stand out as much as he did. 

I've also taken a world cruise on Crystal, so have some basis for comparison on long voyages. Regent speakers are usually of equally high quality, but Regent does not offer the number or variety of speakers that Crystal does. And Regent talks are generally related to where we are in the world, while many of the Crystal talks are on what seemed to be random subjects.  And Regent does not offer things like computer or keyboard classes like Crystal does. So its enrichment program is a bit more limited, but nevertheless does exist.

Count me among the Navigator lovers. I have more nights on her than on any other cruise ship on any line (I've been on Regent and its predecessors, Crystal, Siversea, HAL, and Hurtigruten). The primary draw has been its excellent itineraries, but I do love the ship and her crew.  Yes, it has all the drawbacks mentioned here, but the atmosphere is something special. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jimmcdaniel said:

I believe Michael Scott (https://www.mmscott.co.uk) is scheduled to be on at least the first leg of the Grand Arctic. We have enjoyed his lectures on past regent cruises all over the world. Maybe he is the one WishIweretraveling is thinking of. He is British. 

Yes. That is who I was blanking on.

• 2 weeks later...