Picture-A-Week 2020 - Week 50

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, December 7 and Sunday, December 13.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

We have had some fantastic sunsets here in our part of Minnesota this week. These photos were taken on Tuesday (12/8) and Wednesday (12/9) respectively...both on my iPhone 8+ with no editing or filters. 

IMG_0358.JPG

The lake is partially frozen but a narrow strip of open water reflected the bright clouds along the shoreline

image.thumb.png.4e8d0a49bae4bef6747bffae00a29d78.png

Edited by AryMay
  • Like 6

Despite every channel I view or page I read telling me otherwise, I am still unconvinced that the world is on the eve of destruction. This week brought another “stay at home” closure order based on some form of dart-throwing science by the Powers That Be. From the fairly normal amount of traffic on the surface streets and freeways, the “science” is being given all the respect it deserves. We engaged in an essential activity and spent time with family (I even took the “real” camera along this time). Masks were worn when out and about and we saw most others doing the same. This week’s subject was chosen because some child was inspired to pour their heart out on the sidewalk to remind us that even in the shadow of 2020, the Spirit of Christmas is alive and well.

Seasonal Sidewalk

p4084190880-5.jpg

Dave

• Like 2

Not many photo opportunities this week because of the covid lockdown but that means I must go to a spot where others are not. Taken about 10 miles from my home.

Pierces - We on the Central Coast are tossed in with Southern California for the covid lockdown  ... even though only one ICU bed in the county is in use for covid. Northern California stays open but along the Central Coast we get locked down  ... lets see now, the man in charge has a winery that is open but the #1 competing wine country is the Central Coast which is locked down  ... I better say nothing else 🙄

DSC05334-Edit.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Did some shooting on Friday this week - I had to meet a client around noon quite far from the office, so decided it wasn't worth trying to drive back for just a few hours of work before having to head back home again...so since I have an abundance of unused vacation days, I just took one, met my client, then headed out to the wetlands after.  It was a horribly overcast day, but still nice to be out shooting instead of being in the office.

My client was spending the day flying his radio-controlled jet airplane - so I met him out at the airfields to complete some paperwork, then decided since it's not something I usually shoot, why not try some shots of the RC planes?  His jet was particularly challenging, as it is a legitimate jet airplane, and can do more than 260mph!  But it was fun - and I went to the wetlands after, so a few wildlife are mixed in too:

A propeller plane passing by:

original.jpg

This was a jet too - but a very small one and not as fast:

original.jpg

My client's jet - coming by hot and fast:

original.jpg

Gear down and coming in to land:

original.jpg

The glorious and magnificent male painted bunting:

original.jpg

A great blue heron had snagged a softshell turtle for a meal - it looks far too big and hard to swallow...but the heron got it down in one big gulp:

original.jpg

The lovely and bold roseate spoonbill:

original.jpg

• Like 3

Managed to get out for a second day during this week - on sunday to the local wetlands for a little more birding action.  Lovely day, lovely sun and sunset, and some colorful birds about:

Common yellowthroat male, hiding down in the reeds by the waterline:

original.jpg

Red-shouldered hawk hanging out on a dead tree snag:

original.jpg

Female belted kingfisher, with a snag of her own to survey the waters below and look for fish to grab:

original.jpg

An osprey flying overhead, with a small fish it snagged for a quick snack:

original.jpg

Then in came the roseate spoonbills right around sunset for some last minute feeding - they're hard to miss when they're in the air:

original.jpg

Even better is seeing them in lovely warm sunset light, with the sun at your back:

original.jpg

This time, not with his own reflection, but the reflection of a pair of ibis behind him:

original.jpg

• Like 4