How much cheaper without included air?

sverigecruiser

I have started to think about more expensive cruises now when travelling may be more complicated and less enjoyable, for example if masks has to be used on planes.  If we cruise closer to home we don't need to fly and can spend more on the cruise instead.

Silversea is interesting but not if the airline tickets are included in the price. Is it possible to book without included air and how much cheaper will the cruise then be? (I understand that it may not be possible to get a correct answer but maybe some guidelines I can use.)

I have looked on their site but as I understand it I can't just find the correct price on the website, I must "request a quote". Is that correct or can I find the price somewhere?

The amount of the discount will depend on your itinerary.  If you live in Denver and the included air is to Rio, it will be a larger discount than if the cruise departs from Florida or San Juan.  I infer that you are thinking of sailing from Florida, to which you might drive.  If you live in the US, I think the discount would be around $500 per person if you don't use the included air.

If you click on the cruise you are interested in the page that comes up should have some boxes near the top showing the offers for that cruise. One of those offers will be economy Air included and the cost to upgrade to business. Click on that box and at the foot of the page that opens is some small print that says how much credit you get for not taking the included Air. 

This is on an android mobile on the UK SS site

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

If you click on the cruise you are interested in the page that comes up should have some boxes near the top showing the offers for that cruise. One of those offers will be economy Air included and the cost to upgrade to business. Click on that box and at the foot of the page that opens is some small print that says how much credit you get for not taking the included Air. 

This is on an android mobile on the UK SS site

Thank you for your answer. I don't see any "boxes" I can click on. The only box I find is the "request a quote" box. 

7 hours ago, Observer said:

The amount of the discount will depend on your itinerary.  If you live in Denver and the included air is to Rio, it will be a larger discount than if the cruise departs from Florida or San Juan.  I infer that you are thinking of sailing from Florida, to which you might drive.  If you live in the US, I think the discount would be around $500 per person if you don't use the included air.

Thank you.

I was looking at cruises from Stockholm to Copenhagen and Copenhagen to Stockholm. 

20 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I don't see any "boxes" I can click on. The only box I find is the "request a quote" box. 

It can be hard to find.

19 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I was looking at cruises from Stockholm to Copenhagen and Copenhagen to Stockholm. 

Although I have no idea of the date or ship you are considering, here are two screen shots you can follow on the particular voyage you want to find the value of the air credit.

• Step 1: Click on the box that says "Northern Europe - All Inclusive"

image.png.778ca233d5524842203a95daa598f2fe.png

• Step 2: Scroll down to the bottom of the next screen to find the value of the air credit.  For this particular Stockholm to Copenhagen voyage the value is $900 per person.

image.thumb.png.f0ceaec6148da49266b92138210e3394.png

5 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

It can be hard to find.

Although I have no idea of the date or ship you are considering, here are two screen shots you can follow on the particular voyage you want to find the value of the air credit.

• Step 1: Click on the box that says "Northern Europe - All Inclusive"

image.png.778ca233d5524842203a95daa598f2fe.png

• Step 2: Scroll down to the bottom of the next screen to find the value of the air credit.  For this particular Stockholm to Copenhagen voyage the value is $900 per person.

image.thumb.png.f0ceaec6148da49266b92138210e3394.png

Thamk you, that helped.

The credit was 400 Euro for the cruise I looked at and that is okay.

• Like 1

It stands to reason the discount for not taking up the flights will be different epending on where you are flying from and where you are cruising from.   Just ask for a quote and then establish a dialogue wth your allocated cruise consultant, its not difficult.

For a Dawn quote in 2023 air was $500 more for a US mainland hub city to the Caribbean starting in one port and ending in another.  Business class was an additional $1,500 round trip (above the $500).

The price is reasonable for the airports involved for either coach or business class.  I'm thinking airfare is going to increase somewhat post-pandemic as airlines try to recover lost revenue (so will cruise fares increase).

For me it's close enough in price that it's simply easier to have SS book it.  If something goes awry it's one less thing to worry about.  Could I save a small amount?  Maybe, but there is some comfort booking it all through SS in case of the unexpected.

• 3 months later...

We are booked on the Whisper out of FLL on 12/02. The included airfare was economy and only from gateway cities with no option to purchase a flight TO a gateway for a supplement.  My wife balked. So we took the air credit of $500 per person, added $400, and were able to book two RT, first class, tickets from our city to FLL.  

Sometimes it’s better to take a pass on the included airfare.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arlopop said:

We are booked on the Whisper out of FLL on 12/02. The included airfare was economy and only from gateway cities with no option to purchase a flight TO a gateway for a supplement.  My wife balked. So we took the air credit of $500 per person, added $400, and were able to book two RT, first class, tickets from our city to FLL.  

I always look at the air closely.  sometimes SS air is a great deal for Biz Class, other times, it is better to book our own air.   On our last SS cruise, we booked our own air, Boston to FLL, it was easy and inexpensive.  The time before that we took advantage of the SS air, Boston to Hong Kong, nonstop then Singapore to Boston via Tokyo Biz class.  I had to do some extra talking with SS to get the routes I wanted, (always considering total travel times you know), but they made it happen for us at a very good price compared to what I could book for the same or similar schedule.

When we book Classic Silversea cruises, normally do our own air (have millions of miles/points to use for FC/BC and hotels).  However, sometimes the cost is not as important as being able to board. 

For a Silver Cloud expedition voyage boarding in Reykjavik two years ago, did my own air out of Atlanta.  However, the connection to Dallas was delayed for 24 hours due to heavy summer thunder storms.  So, I missed boarding the cruise on embark day but using more $$ two days later was able to board the Silver Cloud in another Iceland port.

So now my rule is for any expedition cruise I use Silversea air which includes transfers and hotel stay (pre or post sometimes both).  This convenience far exceeds the savings I could have doing my own air, but would have the risk of missing embark day due to weather, et. al.  Doing Silversea Air means they will hold the ship for you until you board if the flight is late, they will not hold the ship for you if you do your own air.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WesW said:

When we book Classic Silversea cruises, normally do our own air (have millions of miles/points to use for FC/BC and hotels).  However, sometimes the cost is not as important as being able to board. 

For a Silver Cloud expedition voyage boarding in Reykjavik two years ago, did my own air out of Atlanta.  However, the connection to Dallas was delayed for 24 hours due to heavy summer thunder storms.  So, I missed boarding the cruise on embark day but using more $$ two days later was able to board the Silver Cloud in another Iceland port.

So now my rule is for any expedition cruise I use Silversea air which includes transfers and hotel stay (pre or post sometimes both).  This convenience far exceeds the savings I could have doing my own air, but would have the risk of missing embark day due to weather, et. al.  Doing Silversea Air means they will hold the ship for you until you board if the flight is late, they will not hold the ship for you if you do your own air.

Agree with Wes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WesW said:

Doing Silversea Air means they will hold the ship for you until you board if the flight is late, they will not hold the ship for you if you do your own air.

From our experience, I don’t believe this is true.  You’ll have to ask Barbara, or your other SS contacts, to confirm. Pretty sure in your DFW case, had you used SS air, the ship would have still sailed without you.  But, the incremental expense of getting you to the ship would not have come out of your pocket.

For us, we can accomplish everything SS does on our own, fly in as far in advance as we want, etc. without any deviation fees, or the like.  With that being said, we did use the SS charter from Santiago to Ushuaia mainly because there was no advantage to doing our own air since there was no credit should one not take the charter flight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well living downunder and with most cruises we do starting in the northern hemisphere we get a substantial amount back not taking the included air.But I am a points junkie so we virtually always are using award flights.As well we usually spend a couple of days in the Embarkation City as well so no problems missing the ship.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 11:27 AM, Arlopop said:

Good morning, I am booked on the same cruise! Hopefully we will be able to sail😃

And I agree, it really depends on where you are sailing/flying.  I am also

taking the credit (in this case)....from where I live to South Florida is about

a 1 hour flight or 5 hour drive. But when I sail overseas, I always take the

upgrade and go Business Class with SS😃

On 3/27/2021 at 10:24 AM, crusinbanjo said:

I always look at the air closely.  sometimes SS air is a great deal for Biz Class, other times, it is better to book our own air.   On our last SS cruise, we booked our own air, Boston to FLL, it was easy and inexpensive.  The time before that we took advantage of the SS air, Boston to Hong Kong, nonstop then Singapore to Boston via Tokyo Biz class.  I had to do some extra talking with SS to get the routes I wanted, (always considering total travel times you know), but they made it happen for us at a very good price compared to what I could book for the same or similar schedule.

Makes perfect sense Banjo 🙂 And were this international the difference might have been considerably smaller for us.  But since we were going to have to arrange our own flight to LAX (gateway), AND SS wanted $1700 per for a bump to BC, our FC tix from our city for a total extra $400 was a no-brainer.

Edited by Arlopop

8 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, I am booked on the same cruise! Hopefully we will be able to sail😃

And I agree, it really depends on where you are sailing/flying.  I am also

taking the credit (in this case)....from where I live to South Florida is about

a 1 hour flight or 5 hour drive. But when I sail overseas, I always take the

upgrade and go Business Class with SS😃

That makes the decision to take the credit much easier 🙂

And wonderful that we are sharing the cruise!  Are you doing the full 15 days or disembarking in Bridgetown?
I’m certain we will come across one another aboard 🙂

This is our first cruise without kids (previous 5 were Disney.) So we are looking forward to a grownup, quieter time, though our teens have shown a curious lack of enthusiasm regarding their parent’s getaway - lol.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2020 at 3:07 PM, sverigecruiser said:

We just booker SS Whisper, San Antonio to Tromso Norway and Reykjavik Iceland to San Antonio.  I got a $900 air credit.

On 12/7/2020 at 3:07 PM, sverigecruiser said:

I have started to think about more expensive cruises now when travelling may be more complicated and less enjoyable, for example if masks has to be used on planes.  If we cruise closer to home we don't need to fly and can spend more on the cruise instead.

Silversea is interesting but not if the airline tickets are included in the price. Is it possible to book without included air and how much cheaper will the cruise then be? (I understand that it may not be possible to get a correct answer but maybe some guidelines I can use.)

I have looked on their site but as I understand it I can't just find the correct price on the website, I must "request a quote". Is that correct or can I find the price somewhere?