SILVERSEA CRUISERS BEWARE

scorpiony3358

I am posting this to warn all Silversea cruisers about how a loyal cruiser with over 100 days that began cruising with them in September 2015 was treated. 

Now I totally understand that Covid-19 has put all cruise lines into a tailspin, BUT I want to bring to your attention how I was treated by Silversea. 

I had booked an expedition to Antarctica for my birthday this past November. Due to Covid-19 that trip was rescheduled to January 2021 at the same cost with an upgrade and an additional discount as the itinerary was a little different.  I was then notified that the January 2021 voyage was now postponed till January 2022 and Silversea was increasing the cost by $14,000 which I refused since the trip was identical and therefore the price should have been guaranteed.  I also cancelled two other expeditions I had scheduled for June 2021 and for August 2021 because of the treatment I received. Then to add insult to injury Silversea withheld $200 per cruise which is in the fine print. 

It should be noted that Silversea did refund my monies in a very timely manner. 

As a loyal customer of Silversea I would have expected better as I had recommended them to friends who then booked. 

Now for me to book another cruise in the future once Corona-19 is under control Silversea will have to offer a deal that I will find hard to turn down as I've also cruised with Regent and Oceania. As a solo traveler I have lots of choices and while I am only one person there are many options available to me. 

Same thing, got canceled and they moved us to another voyage for the same price and also refunded 10 percent. It was a shame the January Antarctica got canceled. We could have taken the 110 percent FCC but like you we requested a refund. Just received it a week ago. We are very happy they refunded us our full refund. They always keep $200 but it can be used on your next voyage. I did and would never expect them to find me the same cruise years later and expect them to give it to me for 2019 prices. We find they are treating customers very well during this pandemic. 

• Like 2

Gourmet Gal yes it was. 

Carefreecruise My point was that the pricing for the 2021 cruise was basically the same list price as what the 2022 cruise was, BUT my original cruise price was lower. When I was given a choice of dates I took the same one in 2022 with the same itinerary and I felt that the price should have been protected. 

I experienced a variation of this poor treatment.  I had booked the Aug/Sept 2021 Northwest Passage cruise.  Booked this past August under the Double Bonus promotion ($1K reduced deposit & $1K on board credit).

Within the past week or so, SS canceled the original Aug/Sept 2021 cruise.  They offered a move to the 2022 Northwest Passage cruise, BUT were demanding the full 25% deposit, which amounted to about $25K!  So from $1K to $25K deposit required!   I declined, and am thinking about canceling another, future SS cruise in 2022 due to this IMHO poor treatment.

You should get a full refund. The $200 / £130 cancellation fee is only applicable when its you who cancels. Sorry to hear the dissatisfaction.

I've had 3 cancelled so far and 1 I cancelled myself. Ive got the £130 put onto a new booking. The first I got a 130% FCC which I used on my next one in May. I can't say it was a fair exchange in terms of overall cost (12 day Tower Bridge Norway, for 7 day Med), but there was a $1000 OBC to soften that.

Second I transferred into a like for like and the last I am wrangling with them over something which my SS contact says they've got it wrong and it should be ok. So overall I;m reasonably happy with the outcome and ecstatic with the middle one.

However.... I am wary of how this pans out should there be further cancellations. (I dont mean going bust!) As mentioned, my 12 day paid in full 2 1/2 years ago is now only worth 7 days.... and no doubt that $1000 OBC will be lost also with no recourse on a refund of the original payments. A bit of blind faith I guess. Silversea have been very good with me personally, but I have seen a hardening recently.

As of 1 Jan, as a Brit, we will no longer (for the time being) be allowed into the EU.... who knows how long that will last. The US has banned us for 9 months.... So that May booking always a gamble - but made more so now I think.

9 hours ago, scorpiony3358 said:

Gourmet Gal yes it was. 

Carefreecruise My point was that the pricing for the 2021 cruise was basically the same list price as what the 2022 cruise was, BUT my original cruise price was lower. When I was given a choice of dates I took the same one in 2022 with the same itinerary and I felt that the price should have been protected. 

You may have been like us, booked on the Wind and Silversea offered to move you the Cloud at the same price. Including a 10% refund. We thought that was fair and when they canceled the Cloud voyages it made a messy situation. I also see big price increases in 2022 voyages and will look into 2023 for the pricing to settle back down.

I have over a dozen vendors we were and are trying to get refunds. Some of them are very big and well established cruise and tour operators. It took a Pandemic for us to find out how these vendors will work under severe conditions. I am thoroughly surprised to be fighting with some of the big named tour providers. they only want to provide future credit with some giving an expiration of 12/2021.  I can tell you after months of trying to get our money back, Silversea is close to the top of the list of vendors working with their customers in refunds or FCC. I know its not what you want to hear but its way better than being stuck like us still fighting for refunds...  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, scorpiony3358 said:

My point was that the pricing for the 2021 cruise was basically the same list price as what the 2022 cruise was, BUT my original cruise price was lower. When I was given a choice of dates I took the same one in 2022 with the same itinerary and I felt that the price should have been protected. 

I am unclear as to why you believe the price should have been protected.  The cancellations were out of the control of the cruise line.  It is not as if they on a whim decided to take the ship out of service for a dry dock.  I had a similar situation with an airline. Flights were canceled and I was given a credit. (By the way, I think that Silversea has been exceptional in its responsible handling of refunds.)  When I went to rebook an identical itinerary at the same time of year in 2021, the price had gone up around 30%.  I did not imagine that the airline had to offer me the 2020 price.

• Like 1

Observer If Silversea was willing to honor the price the first time the expedition was cancelled then to cancel again and hold my money for an additional 12 months for the same itinerary then as a courtesy the price should have been honored. Also keep in mind I had two other expeditions scheduled one which was Paid in full and the other I had just given a deposit. 

I will say that the refunds were handled in a timely manner that was appreciated after reading the horror stories from others. 

mrlevin Marc you hit the nail on the head. Cruising like any other business is based on good customer service. I posted because I felt that regardless of the circumstances that my continued loyalty should have been important especially since I had 3 cruises booked. 

12 hours ago, scorpiony3358 said:

mrlevin Marc you hit the nail on the head. Cruising like any other business is based on good customer service. I posted because I felt that regardless of the circumstances that my continued loyalty should have been important especially since I had 3 cruises booked. 

Sad to learn as SS loyalists with 800 days of the disgraceful treatment from SS.Merely confirms our original reluctant decision to book no further cruises in today’s circumstances throughout the World for the first year since 1998 without Silversea cruising.

6 hours ago, brimary said:

Sad to learn as SS loyalists with 800 days of the disgraceful treatment from SS.Merely confirms our original reluctant decision to book no further cruises in today’s circumstances throughout the World for the first year since 1998 without Silversea cruising.

Edited by beaujolais
Reconsidered

Patiently waiting for my refund for a cancelled Galapagos cruise.  Now at day 35.  They've stated I should get it by Dec. 26.  I guess they think it's a fitting present for under the tree.  

Very interesting to learn that some are getting very timely refunds.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I had three refunds forthcoming from three different credit cards when lots of cruises were being canceled. Silversea told me that I could expect the refunds within a specified time -- I think it was 45 days.  They all arrived before that deadline.  It appeared that they were all processed by Silversea at the same time, but the different credit card issuers took different amounts of time posting the credits.

Patiently waiting for my refund for a cancelled Galapagos cruise.  Now at day 35.  They've stated I should get it by Dec. 26.  I guess they think it's a fitting present for under the tree.  

Wow! Am I jealous???

I have been waiting 225 days for a refund from Crystal .... and there are many people who have been waiting even longer!

• 2 weeks later...

I am booked on a Regent cruise for 1st time, it was going to Australia 2021 in March , it was cancelled back in the summer but offered for 2022 for virtually same cruise but 3 days longer, got it at same price even though it has gone up £5k per couple, so hopefully it will go then and we will all have had vaccine by then 

Interesting to find this thread, and very helpful.  We have booked our first Silversea cruise for Galapagos, April 15, '21.  Naturally we are somewhat doubtful it will sail but we are taking the wait and see approach.  Meanwhile we are mulling over our "back up plan" if Silversea cancels our April sailing so this thread has been very helpful to factor in this information in that decision should it come to that.  Now the policy we understand is either 110% FCC or full refund "of the cruise fare".  They were including the airfare and 2 nights in Quito, so what they would consider the amount to be refunded would be interesting to see.  Time will tell.  We shall just hope it sails and we don't have to go down that path.

For a comparison: we also booked our first Seabourn cruise, an Antarctica sailing which we should be on currently.  In September, Seabourn notified us that they were cancelling their '20/'21 Antarctica season but offered to simply move our booking forward exactly as it was to the December '22 sailing or we could be refunded our money, by then paid in full.  Originally this would be the last season with this particular ship and itinerary which we especially liked.  The '21/'22 season would be on their new more razoo ship at a much higher price and far shorter more common Antarctica itinerary ie  rt from Ushauia.  However that ship will now be sailing in the North Sea in late '21 and they will keep the same ship and itinerary for next year so truly our entire trip was very simply rolled forward with EVERYTHING identical.  Amazing - same departure date, ship, cabin, price and promotional perks, itinerary, times in port.  Everything.  We were amazed and have to say quite positively impressed with Seabourn.  A nice way to start out.  Yes the prices for next season are now higher but for those of us already booked and paid in full we were grandfathered in so to speak. 

It is very interesting throughout all this to see how companies handle what is a highly unusual situation but as has been pointed out does make one think seriously about how they pick and choose going forward.       

On 12/26/2020 at 2:14 PM, andiamo76 said:

They were including the airfare and 2 nights in Quito, so what they would consider the amount to be refunded would be interesting to see. 

We've already canceled a similar cruise to that, within the full refund deadline, and as far as I know that "fare" is for all you mention and if you didn't opt for that your fare would have already been reduced.