Changes for travellers from 1 January, post Brexit

Harry Peterson

25 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Milkmen have disappeared here.

I do remember getting the milk delivered in bottles years ago. The birds used to love to peck at the silver foil. 

That’s a shame. I love having fresh milk for porridge and when eggs were is short supply during the last lockdown they arrived regular as clockwork on the doorstep.

7 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

That’s a shame. I love having fresh milk for porridge and when eggs were is short supply during the last lockdown they arrived regular as clockwork on the doorstep.

Absolutely. They used to be a lifeline for many folk who couldn’t get out to the shops.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Absolutely. They used to be a lifeline for many folk who couldn’t get out to the shops.

I still wonder if our milkman was the father of my two kids!

He had ginger hair and so too have my son and daughter. Spooky🤨

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Do you remember the Milk Race? The local dairy used to promote it and we were allowed outside when the race passed our school. Such excitement!

Blimey, that's a blast from the past, I remember that , it went through Holmfirth one year and we all went to watch.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I think you will find that a litre is 1.76 pints, but you're right the pack size is 4pts, which equals 2.271 litres.

As you probably realised I meant 7/8tth of 2 pints (1.75 pints), which seemed near enough for me, but on reflection it was perhaps not the best way to put it.  Possibly this dammed predictive text, though a senior moment could be  more likely.  I do not normally make numerical mistakes, so am a bit worried about getting old now 🙂

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Esprit said:

I still wonder if our milkman was the father of my two kids!

He had ginger hair and so too have my son and daughter. Spooky🤨

Was James Hewitt a milkman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, AnnieC said:

Presume you all know about filtered milk, sold in Tesco and Sainsbury's (no idea about other supermarkets). Bit more expensive, but the use by date is usually about 3 weeks hence and it keeps forever once opened. Tastes the same as the normal stuff. I started buying it to put in the fridge for when we got back from cruises, now I'm on my own use it just because it keeps so well.

And there endeth my domestic tip of the day.😄

An aunt of mine started using that when a neighbour is was doing her shopping once a week. We get through 3 pints a day for the two of us, so just need a bigger fridge....... 

4 hours ago, AnnieC said:

Presume you all know about filtered milk, sold in Tesco and Sainsbury's (no idea about other supermarkets). Bit more expensive, but the use by date is usually about 3 weeks hence and it keeps forever once opened. Tastes the same as the normal stuff. I started buying it to put in the fridge for when we got back from cruises, now I'm on my own use it just because it keeps so well.

And there endeth my domestic tip of the day.😄

As the company that produces it pays my pension,  thank you very much for your custom!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

As the company that produces it pays my pension,  thank you very much for your custom!

With that in mind I will give it a go, as you will eventually get the vaccine and the company that produces one of them pays my pension, seems a fair swap.

17 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Yes, I have got some long life and I agree it it SO much better than a few years ago and I cannot tell the difference either.

UHT/Long Life milk is what the cruise ships serve. I don't like fresh milk, Long Life for me. BTW for info of you mob over there, Home delivery from supermarkets is getting more popular now, I get a home delivery from Woolworths which is the biggest grocery mob in Australia, nothing like ye olde FW Woolworths in UK.

Stay safe over there everyone, you are having a real tough time.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, brian1 said:

Was James Hewitt a milkman.

Good one Brian, James Hewitt was a cavalryman and tank commander, but he might have dropped a off a bottle of milk or three on his rounds, lol.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Do you remember the Milk Race? The local dairy used to promote it and we were allowed outside when the race passed our school. Such excitement!

I remember the Milk Race watched it a couple of times when I lived in Northampton, 1960 to 1966, prior to being transported to HM Colonies. lol. My crime was being caught drinking scrumpy cider in a Chepstow pub, circa 1964, aged 16 when I was at the Army Apprentice College there.😁🍺

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

Good one Brian, James Hewitt was a cavalryman and tank commander, but he might have dropped a off a bottle of milk or three on his rounds, lol.

Close then,milkmen used to have horse and carts.

• 2 weeks later...