Changes for travellers from 1 January, post Brexit

Harry Peterson

26 minutes ago, wowzz said:

In short,  no, we can't make enough of our own, hence the need to import. Plus of course, some people like the particular flavour characteristics of Irish,  or Canadian cheddar. 

Mind you, we also export UK cheddar as well, although not in such big volumes. 

Reminds me of many years ago of some strange imports& exports I have experience of .

Shipping oranges from Spain all the way up to Carluke in Scotland to be made into 

Marmalade before getting sent back to Spain .

Or the steelworks that sent the scrap steel out of a local steelworks, again all the way to

Spain ,to be turned into ingots and then sold back to the same steelworks .

So I do not bat an eyelid being told our cheeses are made overseas .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

. If they don't want our tourism, many other countries will.

Well, there aren't that many affordable destinations left, once you omit all the EU countries. It's a bit of a hollow threat really.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Countries in Europe will still welcome British tourists.

But, as we have left the EU, when the transition period ends on 31/12/20, we will be subject to the same entry requirements as any other non EU country. 

As we did before we became a member of the EU. That's my point, and the reason I couldn't understand a few previous negative posts.

Avril

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kalos said:

Reminds me of many years ago of some strange imports& exports I have experience of .

Shipping oranges from Spain all the way up to Carluke in Scotland to be made into 

Or the steelworks that sent the scrap steel out of a local steelworks, again all the way to

You also need to remember that there is only a finite amount of UK milk available, and the supply has to be spread amongst all the various manufacturing needs (liquid milk, butter, yogurt etc) as well as cheese.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Well, there aren't that many affordable destinations left, once you omit all the EU countries. It's a bit of a hollow threat really.

Not a threat at all wowzz, just a statement of fact. There are still a lot of affordable non-EU countries out there if you look, and when they are competing for our tourism pounds the prices will come down, just like cruising. 😉

Avril

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, kalos said:

Yep, scrap steel sent from Sheffield to France to make cutlery and send it back to us.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You also need to remember that there is only a finite amount of UK milk available, and the supply has to be spread amongst all the various manufacturing needs (liquid milk, butter, yogurt etc) as well as cheese.

Perhaps, then, we could stop covering all our fields in concrete and cover them in dairy cattle instead. Win win.😊

• Like 4

Just now, AnnieC said:

Perhaps, then, we could stop covering all our fields in concrete and cover them in dairy cattle instead. Win win.😊

And pay the dairy farmers a decent return for their labours, many have gone out of business in recent times.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Not a threat at all wowzz, just a statement of fact. There are still a lot of affordable non-EU countries out there if you look, and when they are competing for our tourism pounds the prices will come down, just like cruising. 😉

Avril

Care to share which ones you are talking about?  Tunisia and Egypt spring to mind, but I have to say that personally, I would not be rushing to visit them.

7 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

And pay the dairy farmers a decent return for their labours, many have gone out of business in recent times.

That's the crunch.  People want cheap milk, cheese and butter, but won't pay a price that allows dairy farmers to make a viable living.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That's the crunch.  People want cheap milk, cheese and butter, but won't pay a price that allows dairy farmers to make a viable living.

It also took out a lot of milk rounds, I cannot remember the last time I saw a milk float.

We have a guy who goes around in his pickup truck with 3 or 4 crates at most .

How he makes a living ,I do not know .

39 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

As we did before we became a member of the EU. That's my point, and the reason I couldn't understand a few previous negative posts.

Avril

They'll continue to be happy to take our money,  along with other non-EU citizens,  but have you seen those queues for non-EU citizens at airports?

That's a relatively minor point. I'm more concerned about the reintroduction of high mobile phone charges. Only one network has said it definitely won't reintroduce them at some point,  and experience with all of them tells me that whatever they say now those charges will return.  If they can charge, they will charge. It's a basic rule.

10 minutes ago, kalos said:

It also took out a lot of milk rounds, I cannot remember the last time I saw a milk float.

We have a guy who goes around in his pickup truck with 3 or 4 crates at most .

How he makes a living ,I do not know .

Actually milk rounds are making a comeback. "Milk and More" for example. But they deliver a great deal more than just milk (clue is in the name !) Really handy  in these times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

In short,  no, we can't make enough of our own, hence the need to import. Plus of course, some people like the particular flavour characteristics of Irish,  or Canadian cheddar. 

Mind you, we also export UK cheddar as well, although not in such big volumes. 

The statistics say we make 90% of our Cheddar consumption, but a lot of this is exported, however similarly we do import some, Ornua foods, an Anglo-Irish dairy company import some from Ireland to supplement their UK production.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Harry you are once more just trying to stir up the brown stuff.

From all our experiences on cruises we have been on in Europe there are never any checks at the ports of call to slow things down. It may well be that passport info of all non EU passengers is provided  by the ship to the shore authorities, but there was definitely  no issue with our Canadian relatives, nor the hundreds of Anericans on the RCI ship we were on with them. 

Similarly I doubt that airport passport control in Malaga,  Alicante or any of the Canary or Balleraric slands will be anything other than the normal cursery glance.

All of our experiences of cruising and taking holidays as adults are from when we were in the EU. Whether they will continue in a similar vein in three weeks time is unknown but will be reliant on compromise and co-operation on both sides. 

Sadly most of the potential drawbacks to no deal (which has somehow become an Australian deal to match our new Australian style immigration points system) mentioned on these boards over the last few days are not new. They were portrayed as ‘project fear’ and dismissed by just over half of the population. They may be about to change from ‘project fear’ to ‘project reality’. We can only hope they don’t.

• Like 3