Looking for a southern Japan/Okinawa/Taiwan itinerary autumn 2021

lissie

Hoping that there maybe some realistic chance of cruising in Asia after the summer Olympics. We're coming from NZ and have travelled a lot of Asia - but not Taiwan or Japan. 

Which cruise lines are good for trips from Taiwan and Japan? Looking September-November 2021. I know that countries are not yet open for  tourism (neither is NZ)   - but looking for a booking  with a small deposit seems not unreasonable at this stage. 

We prefer bigger ships 2000 odd - not ginormous. Totally fine with an Asian vibe on board (because its Asia!). I know Princess has a few, Cunard has none, but what other lines do this sort of trip. Probably  looking at minimum of 7 days - would do a  independent land trip prior or after for the main Japanese cities 

There are several Japanese cruise ships successfully sailing around Japan as we speak.

Most are a bit smaller than the ones you are looking for.

Currently they are carrying only Japanese citizens.That will probably change - but we do not know when.

• 2 weeks later...

Take a look at Holland America, not sure about 2021, but we are on a cruise from Yokohama to Hong Kong with stops in Osaka, Naha, Ishigaki Island, Keelung & Kaoshung - Taiwan, Manila, Boracay & Puerto Princesa in the Philippine from February 14 to 28, 2022.

Also look at Princess, we are on a cruise in 2022, but I'm also not sure about 2021.  Celebrity also has cruises around Japan.

On 12/24/2020 at 3:56 PM, loeb said:

Take a look at Holland America, not sure about 2021, but we are on a cruise from Yokohama to Hong Kong with stops in Osaka, Naha, Ishigaki Island, Keelung & Kaoshung - Taiwan, Manila, Boracay & Puerto Princesa in the Philippine from February 14 to 28, 2022.

Also look at Princess, we are on a cruise in 2022, but I'm also not sure about 2021.  Celebrity also has cruises around Japan.

Both HAL and Princess have cancelled their 2021 Asian cruises.  

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is currently looking less and less likely that foreigners will be allowed to visit Japan in 2021. Japan Times reports that 80% of Japanese citizens do not want the Tokyo Olympics to go ahead this summer.

There are several Japanese cruise ships sailing in Japan right now - with zero COVID problems. But all the passengers are Japanese residents.

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, lissie said:

No Princess is  advertising cruises in October 21

They can advertise all they want but it does not mean there will be any cruises :(.   It appears very unlikely that there will be any Asian cruises (open to folks from outside Asia) in 2021.   I would not be surprised for folks from NZ and perhaps Australia to get some cruise opportunities but that would not help us over here.  Also consider that if Japan stays closed to most tourism for the Olympics they are certainly not going to open-up only a few months in the future.

As to advertising, most cruise lines have never stopped advertising cruises here in US (even thought there is no indication when they will again be allowed to operate) and then later cancelling cruises 1 or 2 months at a time.  There are even some Alaskan cruises being marketed this summer despite there being no approval from the USA or Canada for any cruises.  Go figure.

Hank

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

They can advertise all they want but it does not mean there will be any cruises :(.   It appears very unlikely that there will be any Asian cruises (open to folks from outside Asia) in 2021.   I would not be surprised for folks from NZ and perhaps Australia to get some cruise opportunities but that would not help us over here.  Also consider that if Japan stays closed to most tourism for the Olympics they are certainly not going to open-up only a few months in the future.

As to advertising, most cruise lines have never stopped advertising cruises here in US (even thought there is no indication when they will again be allowed to operate) and then later cancelling cruises 1 or 2 months at a time.  There are even some Alaskan cruises being marketed this summer despite there being no approval from the USA or Canada for any cruises.  Go figure.

Hank

This  was actual paper delivered to  my mailbox! Not even sure how I signed up for that (I've not cruised with Princess). 

The difference in October would be that they can selectively open up to certain countries.  NZ would be high on that list and Australia, I can see they could fill a ship or 2 of frustrated antipodean cruisers - particularly as its a bit early in the season for local cruises. 

I'm not booking anything yet- but keeping an eye out so I can jump at the last minute if things happen. 

1 hour ago, lissie said:

This  was actual paper delivered to  my mailbox! Not even sure how I signed up for that (I've not cruised with Princess). 

The difference in October would be that they can selectively open up to certain countries.  NZ would be high on that list and Australia, I can see they could fill a ship or 2 of frustrated antipodean cruisers - particularly as its a bit early in the season for local cruises. 

I'm not booking anything yet- but keeping an eye out so I can jump at the last minute if things happen. 

Your country has done a fantastic job dealing with COVID.   I am wondering what kind of onboard changes we will discover once cruising resumes.   DW and I would certainly enjoy coming back to NZ.  On our last visit we spent a couple of weeks driving around South Island (and also managed to travel from Christ Church to Greymouth and found that we preferred South Island to the more populated North.  Queenstown rates among our favorite destinations in the world.

Hank

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Your country has done a fantastic job dealing with COVID.   I am wondering what kind of onboard changes we will discover once cruising resumes.   DW and I would certainly enjoy coming back to NZ.  On our last visit we spent a couple of weeks driving around South Island (and also managed to travel from Christ Church to Greymouth and found that we preferred South Island to the more populated North.  Queenstown rates among our favorite destinations in the world.

Hank

Yes I personally won't cruise if I have to wear a mask or social distance. I've worn a mask about 4x (all on planes or public transport) - and it just doesn't work with bifocal glasses! 

Yes we've spent a lot of time and money on local tourism - since May last year we've mainly been free to travel domestically and have even managed a local cruise (no social distancing or masks!). I'm more than ready to get overseas again. Strong rumours today that we will have a travel bubble with Australia next month. 

The odds for you cruising in Japan anytime in 2021 are not looking very good.

Japanese Government has confirmed that foreign spectators will not be allowed to visit Japan for the Summer Olympics. In all the polls, the Japanese public is supporting this decision very strongly.

Vaccines will not begin in Japan until April or May.

Hi Lissie,

We did the cruise around Japan on Celebrity Millennium a couple of years ago and it was my favourite so far.  I would definitely do it again.  So easy to do your own thing with Japan's amazing rail system, the people are friendly and helpful and the food is amazing.